Don't Like It

earth2112shine

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 12 2012, 10:01 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 12 2012, 10:00 PM)
SNakes and Arrows had the most forced sounding lyrics I've heard on a Rush album. Definitely way too wordy....but this album I don't hear it.

'Xactly.

Yup....CA a much more fluid album.....natural.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 12 2012, 09:52 PM)
I don't even know why you argue with them.  Don't even pay them much mind! Move on!

yes.gif

Thank your stars you're not that way,

Turn your back and walk away.

Don't even pause and ask them why,

Turn around and say goodbye.

All that you can do is wish them well... wink.gif

That said, I agree with the complaint as it applies to most of what we've heard from T4E forward... but it just doesn't apply to this album, in my opinion. Yes, strong vocal melodies have largely disappeared from RushWorld since T4E... but now we have strong melodies in "The Wreckers," "Wish Them Well," and "The Garden," to name three from the new album.

Finally got a copy of the disc proper, and I like what I hear so far. The segues really add to the whole experience, BU2B is way improved, and I love the nods to their past that are embedded throughout.

I've posted a few times on the vocals, but they are growing on me. The title track is singable, and I look forward to seeing it live.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 12 2012, 09:54 PM)
I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative or raining on anyone's parade. I'm just being 100 percent honest about what I sat and listened to start to finish. Outside of a few moments here and there, there's nothing that really moved or wowed me like previous albums.

Wait, you only listened to it once?

Ok, I get it now.

It it great not everyone is a Rush "yes person." However, I would suggest giving it time. I could not stand Grace Under Pressure until I saw the tour live 7 months after it came out. Then I loved it and understood it. I also thought Good News First was awful. Then I liked it after about 2 years.

I'm doing my best to let it grow on me. smile.gif

After the first several listens, I must say that I cannot remember any other Rush album in which Geddy's vocals have irritated me this much. sad.gif

But I haven't made any final conclusions yet. I'm going to give this album a LOT of time to grow on me..... smile.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 13 2012, 08:28 PM)
After the first several listens, I must say that I cannot remember any other Rush album in which Geddy's vocals have irritated me this much. sad.gif

Funny you mention this. The first time I heard the album I was kind of irritated, for lack of a better word, with his vocals, but they grew on me very quickly. Same thing with 70s Geddy though really. My only complaint is that CA's vocals are hard for me to sing biggrin.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 13 2012, 12:35 AM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 12 2012, 09:54 PM)
I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative or raining on anyone's parade. I'm just being 100 percent honest about what I sat and listened to start to finish. Outside of a few moments here and there, there's nothing that really moved or wowed me like previous albums.

Wait, you only listened to it once?

Ok, I get it now.

D'oh! Busted. tongue.gif

I haven't really loved and I mean love a rush album from start to finish since RTB. Every album up till then is absolutely perfection. A few good albums like Test and Counter. Just not brilliant. PW is pure amazing. HYF is wow. FTK is god. And so forth. Signals come on. MP, 2112, Hem, GUP. All great stuff

CA is ok. Has some reflective stuff. No magic. Still great song writing just lacks magic. It's not there. A few tunes are quite fun just not heart felt. Lacks depth. Why?! Youth. The fire they had when they were younger with their physical talent was amazing. Neil back in 1984 was amazing. Geddys bass lines on PW are among the best in rock. I mean if they could be in their early 30's forever. They could write adventurous music that would be mind boggling. Like the lyrics in the garden say. Cells die away one at a time. I love the band no matter what they put out. It's their last effort. We all no it. I was expecting something more. The album is growing on me though. Nope. Not really. It either hits you or not. Thanks to power cords, bashing drums and same 15 year old Geddy lyrical phrasing. Yes Alex's solos are great on this album. Neil clicks his sticks in the title track...... Geddy is always great. Cant say a bad thing about him. Or the other two guys.

Lame rant over. Sorry.

cat.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 10 2012, 02:54 PM)
Give it time! Maybe it might come to you. Even 20 years. It took my dad 15 years to actually like Grace Under Pressure. Hopefully the same thing happens for you.

It's not like your opinion is wrong, man! Much respect.

laugh.gif It took me years to warm up to Grace Under Pressure too! I don't think it took me 15 years. Maybe 10. I can't believe there was a time that I didn't see the brilliance that is P/G. 1022.gif

QUOTE (earth2112shine @ Jun 10 2012, 01:57 PM)
I don't like this album!!
Having been a 2.gif fan since 2112, I never thought I'd say that but there it is.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it is crap or indeed anything negative, all the usual musicianship and song crafting is there, it's just that I don't like the end result.

Don't flame me or anything, I'm just saying how I feel about this one record !

Anyone agree, kind of doubt it like ?

Sorry guys sad.gif

different strokes