Clockwork Angels over time

Gedneil Alpeart

A new Rush record is out and Rush fans are excited with lots of pos reviews. Lots of pos reviews came out for SA when it first released, but it seems that album has not aged well for many and for me too. So, are we in the typical new Rush record honeymoon phase, or does this album, unlike recent ones, really have the substance and legs to go the distance and still be evaluated high a year and beyond from now?

Your thoughts please! Will CA age well and be regarded as one of Rush's strongest or THE strongest album since the early 1990s eventually?

Impossible to say, of course. Certainly, the newness will wear off. But another factor will be what comes after. If, God forbid, this ends up being their last, it may pick up some nostalgia (cachet?) for that. If, on the other hand, the boys suddenly start cranking out albums like it's the seventies again, it may devalue more easily.

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Jun 5 2012, 08:34 AM)
In a few years half the people who say they like it now will hate it.

FACT.

That's exactly how it went down with VT and S&A. If/As they're gearing up for a NEXT album, you'll see the same anti-CA talk you see about Snakes today.

That's not a commentary on how good or not I think the new album is...just that you know there's this gleeful honeymoon period. You couldn't say enough good things about Snakes & Arrows in the weeks it came out and honestly I started posting in other forums on this site for a long while...and was pretty shocked to check back in and see all the hate the album had garnered in the meantime. Went from a lovefest to sounding like people were talking about the Star Wars prequels. biggrin.gif

I suspect it'll be similar with Clockwork Angels after the new car smell wears off.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I'm certain there will be some falloff, but as objectively as I can muster... I think the falloff will be significantly less than what we saw for S&A. The compliments being thrown at CA are different than the compliments that were given to S&A, I think. It looks like this one will have more staying power. But we'll see. I wouldn't place any bets tongue.gif

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Jun 5 2012, 07:34 AM)

Half the world cares

While half the world is wasting the day... tongue.gif

From http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...dpost&p=2628687

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 2 2012, 11:19 AM)
It's often difficult to predict where a new Rush album will land until after the euphoria wears off and I've properly absorbed it.  HYF has its moments and improved over time, but it's never been great.  At first I thought Presto was incredible (refreshing, acoustic, loose, catchy) but it quickly dropped.  RTB was decent at first, and improved over time (half of it is strong, and half not-so-much).  CP, VT, and SnA were all excellent from the first listen, though CP and VT have some mediocre/awful songs.  From the beginning, I felt T4E was a step down after CP.

After 5 listens of CA:

1. MP, PoW, CA (5 stars - masterpiece)
  2. Hem, PeW, SnA (4.5 stars - incredible)
  3. Signals, CP, VT (4 stars - very strong)
  4. 2112, AFTK, RTB (3.5 stars - great)
  5. GUP, HYF, Presto, T4E (3 stars - good)
  6. FBN, COS (2.5 stars - decent)
  7. Rush (2 stars - poor/OK)

(Note: albums in chronological order and not ranked within each tier)

Though some songs will rise and fall from my first impression, my expectation is that CA overall will remain tier 1 (this isn't new car smell as I never felt that way about a new Rush album before). I'm certain that even if it drops, it won't fall below tier 2 (for reference, SnA was a tier 2 for me from the beginning).

Yep definitely this, but also vice versa, some who hate it now may grow to like it.

One thing we know for sure is there will be tons of people here that like it and tons that hate it. That's just inevitable.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 08:43 AM)

FACT.

That's exactly how it went down with VT and S&A. If/As they're gearing up for a NEXT album, you'll see the same anti-CA talk you see about Snakes today.

That's not a commentary on how good or not I think the new album is...just that you know there's this gleeful honeymoon period. You couldn't say enough good things about Snakes & Arrows in the weeks it came out and honestly I started posting in other forums on this site for a long while...and was pretty shocked to check back in and see all the hate the album had garnered in the meantime. Went from a lovefest to sounding like people were talking about the Star Wars prequels. biggrin.gif

I suspect it'll be similar with Clockwork Angels after the new car smell wears off.

goodpost.gif <--- sadly

I actually think this album will benefit from more time. I'm not saying people will think it's a masterpiece, no. But I think people will enjoy it and appreciate it overall the more time goes by.

I didn't get that vibe from Snakes & Arrows.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 5 2012, 11:21 AM)
I actually think this album will benefit from more time. I'm not saying people will think it's a masterpiece, no. But I think people will enjoy it and appreciate it overall the more time goes by.

I didn't get that vibe from Snakes & Arrows.

CA will be more appealing to more people than S&A and VT I think, even over time.

I am so jazzed about it right now, but I ALWAYS have that period of elation with a Rush album that wears off. Had it with Snakes and Vapor Trails and I don't care for those 2 much these days.

However, 2 years after they released Caravan and BU2B, they still hold up as classics so I am hopeful the rest of the album will as well. Only time will tell...

As much as I am enjoying Wish them Well and The Wreckers they are pretty simple for Rush standards thus I will likely be bored of them pretty soon LOL

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (fiznab @ Jun 5 2012, 01:26 PM)
Snakes & Arrows is great and anyone who says it's not is wrong.

Oh Yes, masterpiece that one..................

QUOTE (fiznab @ Jun 5 2012, 01:29 PM)
'Great' literally does not mean 'masterpiece'

Really ? Thanks . Just because it has the name Rush on it does Not make it Great

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 5 2012, 01:31 PM)

Really ? Thanks . Just because it has the name Rush on it does Not make it Great

How many times have you listened to S & A?

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 5 2012, 02:17 PM)

A lot when it came out and up until last year i Still tried to get into it. Not happening

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 5 2012, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 5 2012, 02:17 PM)

A lot when it came out and up until last year i Still tried to get into it. Not happening

Me too. Although every Rush album has 4-5 beauties, even Snakes and Arrows...

Far Cry

The Way the Wind Blows

Main Monkey Business

Malignant Narcissism

Love those 4 songs. The rest are just a little too schla03.gif for Rush's standards