Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

Too bad it's not an audiophile quality release like almost every PT album is. This new album is a brickwalled mess.

So you have heard the CD, right? Or even better, the LP? You do have enough sense to not be basing your opinion on the leaked MP3's, right?

Edited by Majestyk

QUOTE (Flying Finn @ Jun 10 2012, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 10 2012, 03:38 PM)
I wonder how Geddy's going to play the piano part from The Garden live..

They will use samples is my guess.

They will have to since Geddy isnt playing the piano, someone named Jason Sniderman is, per the liner notes.

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Jun 10 2012, 10:18 AM)
Too bad it's not an audiophile quality release like almost every PT album is. This new album is a brickwalled mess.

So you have heard the CD, right? Or even better, the LP? You do have enough sense to not be basing your opinion on the leaked MP3's, right?

Yes, I have the actual CD...got my fan pack a couple of days ago. Also I haven't looked at a single waveform; I don't need to in order for it to be obvious how brickwalled this album is. It sounds great at low volumes, but if I crank it up, it causes ear bleeding levels of distortion. Like i said, I love the songs, but the sound quality sucks. It's hard to just ignore a poor quality recording no matter how good the music is...

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:50 AM)

Yes, I have the actual CD...got my fan pack a couple of days ago. Also I haven't looked at a single waveform; I don't need to in order for it to be obvious how brickwalled this album is. It sounds great at low volumes, but if I crank it up, it causes ear bleeding levels of distortion. Like i said, I love the songs, but the sound quality sucks. It's hard to just ignore a poor quality recording no matter how good the music is...

Sorry you feel that way. Fortunately, most others here dont share your opinion so far, although Im sure some will join your chorus. I have yet to get my actual CD. Based on the mp3s only, yes it's loud and dense, but with more breathing room than SA due to less scoustic layering and nowhere near the sonic mess of VT. Im so glad the sound doesnt bother me at all.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 10 2012, 08:50 AM)

I haven't heard the actual CD yet, but at minimum it HAS to be light years better sounding than VT. With VT, I would start listening and I would have to keep stopping my hand from reaching over to turn the volume down, or worse, to hit the stop button. It was literally painful to my ears to listen.

I'm hoping with the CD there is some more clarity than what I'm hearing with the lossless mp3, as in places the production does seem a bit busy and "wall of sound" like, but even if there's not the stunning clarity of a Moving Pictures or the clean, simple production of Counterparts, I still think it will be acceptable at the minimum, and probably will be MUCH better than that. I have yet to hear it on CD on my good sounding system, however, so it's just really hard to know...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 11:41 AM)

I haven't heard the actual CD yet, but at minimum it HAS to be light years better sounding than VT. With VT, I would start listening and I would have to keep stopping my hand from reaching over to turn the volume down, or worse, to hit the stop button. It was literally painful to my ears to listen.

I'm hoping with the CD there is some more clarity than what I'm hearing with the lossless mp3, as in places the production does seem a bit busy and "wall of sound" like, but even if there's not the stunning clarity of a Moving Pictures or the clean, simple production of Counterparts, I still think it will be acceptable at the minimum, and probably will be MUCH better than that. I have yet to hear it on CD on my good sounding system, however, so it's just really hard to know...

I don't even necessarily think the leaked mp3s sound bad, so I'm assuming the lossless cd quality will be absolutely delicious. I love what they've done with Caravan and BU2B!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 10 2012, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 11:41 AM)

I don't even necessarily think the leaked mp3s sound bad, so I'm assuming the lossless cd quality will be absolutely delicious. I love what they've done with Caravan and BU2B!

It sounds good, but I'm hoping the CD will still sound cleaner and clearer.

I don't know, when people say they have the CD and they're listening on good equipment (I don't know if this person is, but others have said the same thing who do sound like they have at least decent equipment) and they say it doesn't sound good, I tend to take their opinions seriously and at least give them the benefit of the doubt. Until I'm able to duplicate their listening environment, I'm going to remain uneasy about how good it actually sounds.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 09:41 AM)

Unfortunately I don't think you'll hear much difference between the lossless and the CD. I bitched about it in another thread so this will be my last complaint about the sound, cuz I don't wanna be THAT guy. The truth is they dropped the ball with the mix/mastering and it has me seriously bummed, especially since I haven't loved a Rush song as much as Clockwork Angels since Moving Pictures came out. I have not looked at a waveform or anything, but this album is all in your face with no dynamics. Even the quiet parts are loud. It is exhausting to listen to at high volumes. I first got concerned with the sound when they released HF, but i tried to convince myself I was over analysing it. My worst fears were realized when I heard the entire record. Letting Nick mix the album instead of Chycki might have been a mistake. After VT, I can't understand how they weren't more cautious about this. That being said, it does sound pretty good with headphones.

At this point I'm no longer gonna cry over spilt milk and just appreciate the album for what it is, their strongest and most inspired album since Moving Pictures.

and I can't wait to see it live smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:22 AM)

Unfortunately I don't think you'll hear much difference between the lossless and the CD. I bitched about it in another thread so this will be my last complaint about the sound, cuz I don't wanna be THAT guy. The truth is they dropped the ball with the mix/mastering and it has me seriously bummed, especially since I haven't loved a Rush song as much as Clockwork Angels since Moving Pictures came out. I have not looked at a waveform or anything, but this album is all in your face with no dynamics. Even the quiet parts are loud. It is exhausting to listen to at high volumes. I first got concerned with the sound when they released HF, but i tried to convince myself I was over analysing it. My worst fears were realized when I heard the entire record. Letting Nick mix the album instead of Chycki might have been a mistake. After VT, I can't understand how they weren't more cautious about this. That being said, it does sound pretty good with headphones.

At this point I'm no longer gonna cry over spilt milk and just appreciate the album for what it is, their strongest and most inspired album since Moving Pictures.

It's kind of hard not to miss Terry Brown sometimes, ya know? wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:22 AM)

It's kind of hard not to miss Terry Brown sometimes, ya know? wink.gif

yes.gif

I wonder what that would sound like 30 years later?

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 10 2012, 12:34 PM)
The backlash to S/A is baffling and pointless. I don't know what you people have against it, lol.

I feel the same way. I respect that others don't like it, but my thoughts on it sure haven't changed much since '07. Dug it then...still do now. Amazing how that honeymoon ended for so many. Makes me wonder if the same thing will happen with CA. I wouldn't doubt it.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 10 2012, 10:38 AM)
The backlash to S/A is baffling and pointless. I don't know what you people have against it, lol.

I feel the same way. I respect that others don't like it, but my thoughts on it sure haven't changed much since '07. Dug it then...still do now. Amazing how that honeymoon ended for so many. Makes me wonder if the same thing will happen with CA. I wouldn't doubt it.

S&A is pretty much the same for me. I LOVED half of it and still do.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 10 2012, 12:39 PM)

Yep put me in that boat, too. But I've been lucky with New Century Rush. I've liked all of it, and each album keeps getting better for me. But I recognize that most people haven't had that experience.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 10 2012, 10:34 AM)

Yeah, I don't get the backlash for S&A at all either. People were thrilled with it when it first came out.

I must admit that there are songs on that album that I initially liked that didn't hold up for me, but most of them did, and still the album is SO much better by an incredibly wide margin from the two albums that preceded it, that it's really hard for me to think badly of it. It's still a very solid album with a lot of great tracks. yes.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 10 2012, 06:42 PM)

Yep put me in that boat, too. But I've been lucky with New Century Rush. I've liked all of it, and each album keeps getting better for me. But I recognize that most people haven't had that experience.

Me too. Love "New Century Rush".

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 10 2012, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 10 2012, 06:42 PM)

Me too. Love "New Century Rush".

1022.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 10 2012, 12:53 PM)
Snakes & Arrows is an okay album with some very good songs throughout. Clockwork Angels is a better album, far more consistent and melodic.

agreed. I thought Snakes very good, but Angels blows it away for me.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 10 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 10 2012, 12:53 PM)
Snakes & Arrows is an okay album with some very good songs throughout. Clockwork Angels is a better album, far more consistent and melodic.

agreed. I thought Snakes very good, but Angels blows it away for me.

Agreed.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 12:44 PM)

Yeah, I don't get the backlash for S&A at all either. People were thrilled with it when it first came out.

I must admit that there are songs on that album that I initially liked that didn't hold up for me, but most of them did, and still the album is SO much better by an incredibly wide margin from the two albums that preceded it, that it's really hard for me to think badly of it. It's still a very solid album with a lot of great tracks. yes.gif

I feel exactly the same about S & A than I did when it came out! Actually I might like it more now since some of the fillers at the end have grown on me but basically it still have 9 good tracks on it! However, that said CA is everything that S & A lacked.

I feel The Peddlar went and asked S & A " What do you lack?" than provided it to us on Clockwork Angels!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 12:44 PM)

Im not slamming SA, but after listening to CA, I like it less.

I have the CD now and it sounds fine on all 3 systems I've played it on. I think people forget that different albums/artists/genres require a bit of fine tuning of your systems settings. It could be as simple as tweaking the treble/bass settings a hair or as complex as a completely new EQ setting depending on what is pleasing to your ears.

Those that are complaining about the mix probably haven't taken the time to play with the knobs and sliders.

I don't think it is backlash to S&A; some album simply age a lot better than others, and it appears as if S&A, while still liked pretty well by the fanbase, is not an album that has aged well, at least in relation to how well-liked it was at first.

As for the sound of CA, I can hear what some are saying. It definitely has that modern rock album mixing thing going on, where every song has the same sound and production, and the dynamics are few and far between, which is disappointing, but this is still nothing like VT (which was a trainwreck in regards to sound). Yes, it could have been better, had someone else mixed it, but it is what it is.