Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 12 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 12 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 12 2012, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 12 2012, 12:07 PM)
First impression: Best album since Counterparts

My immediate thought, exactly yes.gif

Except that Vapor Trails is better than Counterparts. atickhum.gif

Blasphemy! 1287.gif

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Send him to the dungeon to the rack!

I snuck out of the office earlier and ran out to best buy to pick up the CD (yes, I'm late to the party). So far, I'm a little let down. I was hoping for some serious rocking out, and I'm not hearing that. Of course, it's not uncommon for me to take a few listens to warm up to a Rush release. I'm hoping that is the case here. Plus, I'm listening to it through the speakers on my lap top. Hopefully playing it on the stereo at home will change my initial opinion a bit. sad.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 12 2012, 10:41 AM)
I'm not a troll.  I love the album.  It's amazing.  I'm saying the pressing quality of the vinyl sucks.  Not the mastering/mixing, but the actually pressing from the pressing plant.  How is that trolling?  Read the post that I quoted (about the vinyl copy looking great) and me responding "except it sounds like crap," it being the vinyl.

Some of you people really drink the kool-aid.

Damnit, who put shrooms in my kool-aid again?! comp26.gif

Sorry Mike, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. Had a bit too much caffeine this morning. I'm wired like a robotic weasel today.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 12 2012, 01:50 PM)
I snuck out of the office earlier and ran out to best buy to pick up the CD (yes, I'm late to the party). So far, I'm a little let down. I was hoping for some serious rocking out, and I'm not hearing that. Of course, it's not uncommon for me to take a few listens to warm up to a Rush release. I'm hoping that is the case here. Plus, I'm listening to it through the speakers on my lap top. Hopefully playing it on the stereo at home will change my initial opinion a bit. sad.gif

It will.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 12 2012, 06:50 PM)
I was hoping for some serious rocking out, and I'm not hearing that.

In all seriousness, I believe you may have bought the wrong album if you can't hear any rocking out. CA is full to the brim of rocking out, so you might wanna check the CD case, just incase you've accidentally bought a Justin Bieber CD tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 12 2012, 01:51 PM)
I snuck out of the office earlier and ran out to best buy to pick up the CD (yes, I'm late to the party).  So far, I'm a little let down.  I was hoping for some serious rocking out, and I'm not hearing that.  Of course, it's not uncommon for me to take a few listens to warm up to a Rush release.  I'm hoping that is the case here.  Plus, I'm listening to it through the speakers on my lap top.  Hopefully playing it on the stereo at home will change my initial opinion a bit.  sad.gif

It will.

I agree. It took me a few listens...and now I can't stop listening! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Jun 12 2012, 12:52 PM)

In all seriousness, I believe you may have bought the wrong album if you can't hear any rocking out. CA is full to the brim of rocking out, so you might wanna check the CD case, just incase you've accidentally bought a Justin Bieber CD tongue.gif

Holy crap! You're right...I grabbed the Shania Twain CD that was sitting on the new release shelf next to CA! blush4.gif

Now I've got to run out to best buy again. bolt.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 12 2012, 01:51 PM)
I snuck out of the office earlier and ran out to best buy to pick up the CD (yes, I'm late to the party).  So far, I'm a little let down.  I was hoping for some serious rocking out, and I'm not hearing that.  Of course, it's not uncommon for me to take a few listens to warm up to a Rush release.  I'm hoping that is the case here.  Plus, I'm listening to it through the speakers on my lap top.  Hopefully playing it on the stereo at home will change my initial opinion a bit.  sad.gif

It will.

Yes it will. My first listen... the mood I was in, the environment for listening (highway Jeep top down), trying to take it all in... I was a bit down on it too at first, to the point I didn't comment here until I had a chance to digest it a bit.

Next day, second listen, better setup.... blown away compared to the first time.

Now after ~5 complete listens I can't shut up about how much I love the majority of it.

Fret not!

1022.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 12 2012, 06:55 PM)

Holy crap! You're right...I grabbed the Shania Twain CD that was sitting on the new release shelf next to CA! blush4.gif

An easy mistake to make rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 12 2012, 01:55 PM)

I'd rather have Shania than her CD.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 12 2012, 01:58 PM)

yes.gif

applaudit.gif icon_alienjig.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 12 2012, 12:58 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 12 2012, 10:50 AM)

What album are you listening to? This is one of Rush's heaviest albums, maybe ever.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 12 2012, 01:25 PM)

What album are you listening to? This is one of Rush's heaviest albums, maybe ever.

Now I'm listening through headphones at work...that makes a big difference. The lap top speakers played at a low volumn wasn't giving CA a fighting chance.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 12 2012, 02:20 PM)

Now I'm listening through headphones at work...that makes a big difference. The lap top speakers played at a low volumn wasn't giving CA a fighting chance.

Headphones are THE WAY to listen to this album IMO. You hear all the little things you don't in your car, for instance. I suppose that's nothing new, but the nuances are very cool on this album in particular. Lots of things going on.

Edited by Presto-digitation

On "Carnies" right now...really digging the record so far.

Kind of reminds me of VT in some ways, kind of harkens back to that raw, gritty, heavy style.

Not the biggest fan of the production, I feel like the drums are buried underneath the guitars in a lot of cases.

But it still does sound good enough.

The actual songs are kicking ass, just wish it was easier on the headphones for me.

I'm also loving the effects they're throwing in, it's got a lot of great ambient textures.

E #1: Halo Effect is sweet, really loving the strings on this one. What a great touch!

It's also more reserved than the earlier tracks

E #2: On BU2B now... seriously adoring the strings on this record when they show up.

As mentioned before the ambient moments are great.

Just keeps getting better & better.

Edited by Rush!

Amazing. Really unbelievable.

When it comes to the story, it's their best concept yet. I really enjoy it.

Personally, I think the album sounds like Test for Echo meets Vapor Trails meets Snakes and Arrows. The intro to "The Wreckers" alone sounds like something that would come off Test for Echo. And "Halo Effect" sounds like something that would be off S&A.

Favorites after the first spin: CwA, The Anarchist, Halo Effect, Seven Cities of Gold, The Garden.

It's awesome top to bottom, but those are my favorites right off the bat.

Edited by GuitarPlyr01

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 02:21 PM)

Headphones are THE WAY to listen to this album IMO. You hear all the little things you don't in your car, for instance. I suppose that's nothing new, but the nuances are very cool on this album in particular. Lots of things going on.

definately

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 12 2012, 02:21 PM)

I had to listed to CA (track) twice because I thought the back and forth in the headphones was due to me chewing gum biggrin.gif