Now that we know CA will likely be a concept album

USB Connector

We've known the track list and it's quite clear that the CA story will take up most, if not the entire album length. The news has been out there for some time but initial reactions can be changed with time.

Personally, I'm glad that Rush are taking this chance. They really haven't tried anything this massive since Hemispheres or 2112. I think it's great because while Rush have made some great songs since their hiatus, I they haven't made albums that really compare to Moving Pictures in quite some time. Clockwork Angels might not turn out to be such a great album, but if they can pull it off and make the album as great as it can be, then we might be left with songs that might be considered classics in the future. Sure, Far Cry might go on to be a classic but that's only one song on one album out of at least 3 albums (since Test for Echo).

My point is, whether it flops or not, I'm really happy that we have an indication that Rush is still trying to produce great albums rather than making one just to tour and make money. Who knows, maybe we'll be left with an album that we really can compare with the best.

They can sing about Candy and Popcorn for all i care, as long as the Music is good

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 23 2012, 01:08 PM)
They can sing about Candy and Popcorn for all i care, as long as the Music is good

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/24b6zk4_thjpg.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/thumbs_up_md_wht.gif

Absolutely...it is clear that they are still working hard to try and make a strong album after almost 40 years in the biz, when there is nothing left to prove.

It's amazing...and it's one of the many reasons why I love these guys as much as I do. Whether in the studio or on stage, the effort is always there.

As far as CA goes, I guess we'll find out just how good it is in a few weeks. I'm excited personally. If the first three singles are any indication as to how the rest of the album will be...then I am definitely stoked and believe this could be one of their best albums in ages (and I like their latter day material).

I'm hoping the album kicks ass...and I'm hoping the tour that follows kicks ass too. I want all of this to energize the band to continue hitting the studio for a follow-up. With the songs they've released, (and IMO) the bulk of S&A, it is clear that they still have plenty of gas left in the tank to create more magic! 1022.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 23 2012, 12:05 PM)
We've known the track list and it's quite clear that the CA story will take up most, if not the entire album length. The news has been out there for some time but initial reactions can be changed with time.

Personally, I'm glad that Rush are taking this chance. They really haven't tried anything this massive since Hemispheres or 2112. I think it's great because while Rush have made some great songs since their hiatus, I they haven't made albums that really compare to Moving Pictures in quite some time. Clockwork Angels might not turn out to be such a great album, but if they can pull it off and make the album as great as it can be, then we might be left with songs that might be considered classics in the future. Sure, Far Cry might go on to be a classic but that's only one song on one album out of at least 3 albums (since Test for Echo).

My point is, whether it flops or not, I'm really happy that we have an indication that Rush is still trying to produce great albums rather than making one just to tour and make money. Who knows, maybe we'll be left with an album that we really can compare with the best.

I'm not a trekkie or a comic book reader, but I always enjoy a good sci-fi thread.

Great sci-fi has social and political commentary. Great sci-fi is filled with allegory and metaphors for contemporary events.

It's sounds like in the CA story, NP is writing about himself and his journey.

personally i was and still am quite surprised that Rush are dabbling in that concept stuff again, it's all a bit juvenile and pretentious i think, the guys are fundamentally class musicians who done very indeed after leaving all that prog rock storybook sh*t behind

to be honest i'm surprised they didnt become incredibly bored with the project very soon after initially playing with the idea, but i suspect Al & Ged are happy so long as Neil's happy

anyways, it seems Ged at least insisted on each track standing alone for what it is, which is welcome, and the standard of what's been released so far varies from the sublime bu2b to the excellent caravan to the very good Headlong Flight, so i aint complaining, especially after seeing what the band had to say about The Garden and Clockwork Angels etc

like bring it on quick

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 23 2012, 12:05 PM)

Exactly...thanks be Gods that we have RUSH still producing extremely high quality and interesting music

cheer.gif

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ May 23 2012, 04:46 PM)
It'll be interesting, which is most likely the reason to why I'm anticipating this album so damn much. They've always did concept songs, but never a concept album.

I'm glad they've stated that they made an effort to make the songs stand alone as well. Sometimes songs on concept albums don't work out of context.

I think it'll be interesting because it's not something you hear much these days (unless a lot of bands I don't follow are doing this, and I'm just clueless). I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of reflecting on my own life when I hear it, which is always insightful. Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 23 2012, 01:08 PM)

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love a song with good lyrics, but bad music is a deal-breaker. Bad lyrics.... not necessarily. I just want to be swept away by the music to a magical fairyland of sweet musical goodness and eargasms. I'll analyze the lyrics later.... I can't understand what Geddy is singing half the time anyway. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 23 2012, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 23 2012, 01:35 PM)
all that prog rock storybook sh*t

facepalm.gif

lol ok i take your point, maybe used the wrong phrase, like 2112 Hemispheres and COS most definitely work without question as 'storybook sh*t' so i take the phrase back......

the point i was making is there's a real argument to say all that storyline stuff should maybe have been left in the 70's and early 80's for rush, but an argument is all it is as obviously the band can do whatever they like

if the rest of the album same quality as bu2b i simply wont care

Edited by lifeson90

I can't wait!!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/th01HappyDance.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 23 2012, 06:54 PM)
It'll be interesting, which is most likely the reason to why I'm anticipating this album so damn much. They've always did concept songs, but never a concept album.

I'm glad they've stated that they made an effort to make the songs stand alone as well. Sometimes songs on concept albums don't work out of context.

This is pretty key, actually. While CA is certainly built around a central theme/story lyrically (if everything we've read is to be believed), Geddy has said in more than one interview that they took great care to maintain a level of "independence" for the songs, wanting to make sure they stand alone.

With the possible exception, based on the title, of BU2B2, we're not going to hear repeating musical themes. With Caravan kicking off the whole thing, there's clearly no 2112-esque overture, no 2112-esque grand finale, etc.

So, Concept Album in the sense of a lyrical story/thread linking the songs together? Yup. Concept Album in the sense of repeating musical motifs, "one long song", etc.? No likely.

Hey...just realized:

Clockwork Angels = Concept Album

C. A. = C. A.

I guess it really is a concept album!

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ May 24 2012, 08:34 AM)

This is pretty key, actually. While CA is certainly built around a central theme/story lyrically (if everything we've read is to be believed), Geddy has said in more than one interview that they took great care to maintain a level of "independence" for the songs, wanting to make sure they stand alone.

With the possible exception, based on the title, of BU2B2, we're not going to hear repeating musical themes. With Caravan kicking off the whole thing, there's clearly no 2112-esque overture, no 2112-esque grand finale, etc.

So, Concept Album in the sense of a lyrical story/thread linking the songs together? Yup. Concept Album in the sense of repeating musical motifs, "one long song", etc.? No likely.

Hey...just realized:

C. A. = C. A.

Oh, great. You've just made the connection the new album will be caca. More ammo for the haters. eh.gif

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 24 2012, 09:39 AM)

Hey...just realized:

C. A. = C. A.

Oh, great. You've just made the connection the new album will be caca. More ammo for the haters. eh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 24 2012, 08:39 AM)

Hey...just realized:

C. A. = C. A.

doh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 23 2012, 12:35 PM)
personally i was and still am quite surprised that Rush are dabbling in that concept stuff again, it's all a bit juvenile and pretentious i think, the guys are fundamentally class musicians who done very indeed after leaving all that prog rock storybook sh*t behind

to be honest i'm surprised they didnt become incredibly bored with the project very soon after initially playing with the idea, but i suspect Al & Ged are happy so long as Neil's happy

anyways, it seems Ged at least insisted on each track standing alone for what it is, which is welcome, and the standard of what's been released so far varies from the sublime bu2b to the excellent caravan to the very good Headlong Flight, so i aint complaining, especially after seeing what the band had to say about The Garden and Clockwork Angels etc

like bring it on quick

I hate these, "prog is pretentious" posts.

Rush has been prog all their career my friend. Perhaps not classic prog, but always prog.

All I get from these posts are "I'm pretentious."

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 23 2012, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ May 23 2012, 01:35 PM)
all that prog rock storybook sh*t

facepalm.gif

I wonder how much of it you actually listen to, haha. (Not Tommy, the original poster)

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 23 2012, 08:31 PM)
I think it'll be interesting because it's not something you hear much these days (unless a lot of bands I don't follow are doing this, and I'm just clueless). I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of reflecting on my own life when I hear it, which is always insightful.

Haha, yeah, tons of bands still do this tongue.gif