What is the point of happiness and positivity?

An Enemy Without

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 12 2012, 07:20 PM)
Just realized that Mr. Terrapin isn't familiar with the term 'butthurt'. Thus, he assumed I was dumb, and couldn't spell. Ironic!

Also, he seemed to get very angry when the post wasn't even directed at him. I apologize to you sir, if you do so accept. Unless you're just mad because I didn't enjoy the OP's post. In which case, I don't care.

To avoid this confusion in the future, you should try quoting the person you're responding to, so everyone knows who you're talking to.

Like I'm doing here. wink.gif

Oh, and Terrapin, I've got the sneaking suspicion that you're utterly useless. Seems you joined here just to act like a wanker. True or false?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ May 12 2012, 09:35 PM)
The new material makes me happy and makes me feel positive. I'm just calling it how I feel it.

Be careful about feeling happy in here....you risk being labeled a "fan boy".

I agree with you though......I like the new stuff and I'm happy about it! If that by itself makes me a fan boy in some people's eyes, so be it!

This is totally off topic, but I didn't think it merited is own new thread, so this looks like as good a place as any. What if Rush re-wrote and brought back Sir Giwain for Clockwork Angels? Wouldn't that be nuts if we got a new song that sounds like it was pulled off Permanent Waves, but Rush never lets anyone know?

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 12 2012, 10:09 PM)
This is totally off topic, but I didn't think it merited is own new thread, so this looks like as good a place as any. What if Rush re-wrote and brought back Sir Giwain for Clockwork Angels? Wouldn't that be nuts if we got a new song that sounds like it was pulled off Permanent Waves, but Rush never lets anyone know?

What if Rush released a whole lotta outtakes from various periods of their career (Like "Tough Break")... That'd be something! yes.gif

Who knows? The PoW demo tapes would see an official release.

wtf.gif is this thread all about?

Is it about truth in posting?

Vapor Trails: 062802puke_prv.gif (because of the mix)

Snakes and Arrows: new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif (Because of the mix)

Clockwork Angels: icon_alienjig.gif drool1.gif common001.gif (So Far because of everything)

How much more honesty do you want?

FANBOISM is killing RUSH!

Really? What other band these days is going as strong as RUSH after 38+ years!

You say your not a troll. but if you smell and sound like a troll, I say you probably look like a troll as well! (you know who you are!)

Trollism is inspiring Fanboism!

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 12 2012, 08:57 PM)
FANBOISM is killing RUSH!

Really? What other band these days is going as strong as RUSH after 38+ years!

You say your not a troll. but if you smell and sound like a troll, I say you probably look like a troll as well! (you know who you are!)

Trollism is inspiring Fanboism!

Dude, it's a joke (though knowing you, I assume you're joking too)! tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

After reading this thread, this is the only thing that comes to my mind...

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/main/sites/default/files/features/images/111006/Reilly1.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/2824353716_c714e1731c.jpg

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 12 2012, 04:08 PM)
A new Rush album is coming.....excitement and hype abound. I can perfectly understand fans not wanting to be cautious about expectations and wanting to hype lest they have too low and realistic hopes only to be satisfied. However, some of you go beyond this....expressing pervasive happiness and positivity about the album, which hasn't even been heard in full. Yes, I know that some of you like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your satisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete enamoration...not able to salvage anything negative out of the new stuff. I see this on other forums too, usually much worse there than on here.

Beyond expressing particular points of satisfaction, what gives about the love? Why the fanboyism? Are you indirectly expressing some sort of thanks towards the band about past expectations being exceeded or utter satisfaction? Is this positivity some sort of defense mechanism against disappointment, or you just like to express agreeable opinions out of fear of dissent, or vent your satisfaction about other things in your lives that have nothing to do with Rush? Do you feel envious towards those Rush fans who are hating the new material, but you cant join the party? Are you happy that every Rush album might as well be MP 2 or your own personal fantasy album? Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but just curious to know the reasons behind all this positive spew I see and hear so often when it comes to new Rush.

The positivity is old and tiresome. It contributes nothing interesting or exciting to discussions. Heard it all. Again, to be clear, Im no troll and dont appreciate blind hatred for anything Rush puts out either. There are many Rush songs I do appreciate, but I try to keep an open mind too. Im also not talking about critical reviews or healthy analyses and debates with balanced perspectives. Expressing general liking for a song or album is not what I have an issue with. You know what Im talking about....we've seen it here, elsewhere and will see it again.........unfortunately.

Here's why I'm positive this is a happy place.

The band I've followed all my life is now enjoying more success and accolades than ever.

I was right all along. They are the greatest band ever. 2.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 12 2012, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 12 2012, 11:20 PM)
Just realized that Mr. Terrapin isn't familiar with the term 'butthurt'. Thus, he assumed I was dumb, and couldn't spell. Ironic!

Also, he seemed to get very angry when the post wasn't even directed at him. I apologize to you sir, if you do so accept. Unless you're just mad because I didn't enjoy the OP's post. In which case, I don't care.

"Butthurt" is a "Term" now?

No wonder Peart wrote a song about you idiots back in '96

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/RamsATW/the-hst-peace-thread-22732.jpg

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ May 13 2012, 09:51 AM)
From this point on, if a thread is created in the Clockwork Angels section after 5/13/2012, it is considered a joke. Yes, that means the leak will be a joke, too.

Nice idea. Technically, any thread can be easily turned into a joke thread once it reaches true FAIL status. Anytime someone tries to stir up the original FAILing topic, just thread-jack it right back and eventually it will die gracefully as an entertaining joke thread insead of groaning on painfully like a swelling FAILnado.

user posted image

Medical studies are always fun to read.

This one is about being positive

"A 30-year study of 447 people at the Mayo Clinic found that optimists had around a 50 percent lower risk of early death than pessimists. The study's conclusion? "[M]ind and body are linked and attitude has an impact on the final outcome -- death."

This was further compounded by a Yale study that asked 660 elderly people whether they agreed that we become less useful as we age. Those who didn't agree, and therefore had the most positive attitude about aging, lived an average of 7.5 years longer than those with the most negative attitudes, who did agree that we become less useful as we age.

It was also shown in a Dutch study that examined the attitudes and longevity of 999 people over the age of 65. The study reported a "protective relationship" between optimism and mortality. People with a positive attitude, quite simply, lived longer. They even had a 77 percent lower risk of heart disease than pessimists.

So why do positive people live longer? I imagine that it is because they get less stressed in day-to-day life. When something doesn't quite go to plan, a person with a positive attitude might just deal with it, typically refocus, or even look for another solution. But a person with a negative attitude will typically complain more, get angry or frustrated, and they will expend a lot of energy going over and over in their heads what has happened and how much it is a real inconvenience for them."

The conclusion points to positive people live longer. 653.gif

QUOTE (Motorshooter @ May 13 2012, 11:19 AM)
Medical studies are always fun to read.
This one is about being positive

"A 30-year study of 447 people at the Mayo Clinic found that optimists had around a 50 percent lower risk of early death than pessimists. The study's conclusion? "[M]ind and body are linked and attitude has an impact on the final outcome -- death."

This was further compounded by a Yale study that asked 660 elderly people whether they agreed that we become less useful as we age. Those who didn't agree, and therefore had the most positive attitude about aging, lived an average of 7.5 years longer than those with the most negative attitudes, who did agree that we become less useful as we age.

It was also shown in a Dutch study that examined the attitudes and longevity of 999 people over the age of 65. The study reported a "protective relationship" between optimism and mortality. People with a positive attitude, quite simply, lived longer. They even had a 77 percent lower risk of heart disease than pessimists.

So why do positive people live longer? I imagine that it is because they get less stressed in day-to-day life. When something doesn't quite go to plan, a person with a positive attitude might just deal with it, typically refocus, or even look for another solution. But a person with a negative attitude will typically complain more, get angry or frustrated, and they will expend a lot of energy going over and over in their heads what has happened and how much it is a real inconvenience for them."

The conclusion points to positive people live longer. 653.gif

That IS very cool. yes.gif

FWIW, I don't perceive feeling negatively towards some new Rush songs and albums as being a negative person, not at all, it's just stating an opinion.

I also think a nice healthy dose of sarcasm and irony is an attractive quality that's gotta make you live longer - if not, I'd rather live a tad bit shorter and be able to have more fun! tongue.gif

I've also read that it doesn't matter if the glass is half-empty or half-full, drinking too much prune juice will give you the runs.