What is the point of happiness and positivity?

An Enemy Without

A new Rush album is coming.....excitement and hype abound. I can perfectly understand fans not wanting to be cautious about expectations and wanting to hype lest they have too low and realistic hopes only to be satisfied. However, some of you go beyond this....expressing pervasive happiness and positivity about the album, which hasn't even been heard in full. Yes, I know that some of you like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your satisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete enamoration...not able to salvage anything negative out of the new stuff. I see this on other forums too, usually much worse there than on here.

Beyond expressing particular points of satisfaction, what gives about the love? Why the fanboyism? Are you indirectly expressing some sort of thanks towards the band about past expectations being exceeded or utter satisfaction? Is this positivity some sort of defense mechanism against disappointment, or you just like to express agreeable opinions out of fear of dissent, or vent your satisfaction about other things in your lives that have nothing to do with Rush? Do you feel envious towards those Rush fans who are hating the new material, but you cant join the party? Are you happy that every Rush album might as well be MP 2 or your own personal fantasy album? Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but just curious to know the reasons behind all this positive spew I see and hear so often when it comes to new Rush.

The positivity is old and tiresome. It contributes nothing interesting or exciting to discussions. Heard it all. Again, to be clear, Im no troll and dont appreciate blind hatred for anything Rush puts out either. There are many Rush songs I do appreciate, but I try to keep an open mind too. Im also not talking about critical reviews or healthy analyses and debates with balanced perspectives. Expressing general liking for a song or album is not what I have an issue with. You know what Im talking about....we've seen it here, elsewhere and will see it again.........unfortunately.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 12 2012, 09:08 PM)
A new Rush album is coming.....excitement and hype abound. I can perfectly understand fans not wanting to be cautious about expectations and wanting to hype lest they have too low and realistic hopes only to be satisfied. However, some of you go beyond this....expressing pervasive happiness and positivity about the album, which hasn't even been heard in full. Yes, I know that some of you like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your satisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete enamoration...not able to salvage anything negative out of the new stuff. I see this on other forums too, usually much worse there than on here.

Beyond expressing particular points of satisfaction, what gives about the love? Why the fanboyism? Are you indirectly expressing some sort of thanks towards the band about past expectations being exceeded or utter satisfaction? Is this positivity some sort of defense mechanism against disappointment, or you just like to express agreeable opinions out of fear of dissent, or vent your satisfaction about other things in your lives that have nothing to do with Rush? Do you feel envious towards those Rush fans who are hating the new material, but you cant join the party? Are you happy that every Rush album might as well be MP 2 or your own personal fantasy album? Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but just curious to know the reasons behind all this positive spew I see and hear so often when it comes to new Rush.

The positivity is old and tiresome. It contributes nothing interesting or exciting to discussions. Heard it all. Again, to be clear, Im no troll and dont appreciate blind hatred for anything Rush puts out either. There are many Rush songs I do appreciate, but I try to keep an open mind too. Im also not talking about critical reviews or healthy analyses and debates with balanced perspectives. Expressing general liking for a song or album is not what I have an issue with. You know what Im talking about....we've seen it here, elsewhere and will see it again.........unfortunately.

What is the point of this post?

Zzzzzz.....

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 12 2012, 03:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

Why wouldn't I be positive only? To my ears the three songs I've heard are better than anything since the 80's. Geddy has recaptured his classic style and so has Neil to a certain extent. Not to mention Lifeson is back to soloing in almost every song. These are things to be celebrated as they are finally breaking out of that straight ahead(Half The World, Working Them Angels....etc..) so called song writing mode and more back to being who they really are.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 12 2012, 03:54 PM)
Why wouldn't I be positive only? To my ears the three songs I've heard are better than anything since the 80's. Geddy has recaptured his classic style and so has Neil to a certain extent. Not to mention Lifeson is back to soloing in almost every song. These are things to be celebrated as they are finally breaking out of that straight ahead(Half The World, Working Them Angels....etc..) so called song writing mode and more back to being who they really are.

yes.gif

There is already more good music guaranteed on this album than any one since at least p/g.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 12 2012, 09:22 PM)
Someone's butthurt...

If spelling and grammar were as easy as posting little pics on an internet forum and considering it as an anonymous "AVATAR" you might be considered somewhat intelligent.

As it stands, you're just another interweb tool. (Insert Smiley)

You'll just sit at home, pound furiously on your little computer, moan to Mom and Dad, get back on the computer and continue with your depressingly, boring "life"

Carry on, should be most entertaining!

Happiness and positivity are, in the context of a message board, less important than honesty. I don't care if someone posts a negative opinion as long as it's an honest opinion, is presented without being insulting or rude, and isn't trolling.

Same with positive posts. If someone posts nothing but positive stuff and it comes off looking like he's just trying to kiss ass, it gets annoying fast.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 12 2012, 04:08 PM)

Appreciate the flattery. Aw shucks.... z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 12 2012, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 12 2012, 09:22 PM)
Someone's butthurt...

If spelling and grammar were as easy as posting little pics on an internet forum and considering it as an anonymous "AVATAR" you might be considered somewhat intelligent.

As it stands, you're just another interweb tool. (Insert Smiley)

You'll just sit at home, pound furiously on your little computer, moan to Mom and Dad, get back on the computer and continue with your depressingly, boring "life"

Carry on, should be most entertaining!

biggrin.gif

Just realized that Mr. Terrapin isn't familiar with the term 'butthurt'. Thus, he assumed I was dumb, and couldn't spell. Ironic!

Also, he seemed to get very angry when the post wasn't even directed at him. I apologize to you sir, if you do so accept. Unless you're just mad because I didn't enjoy the OP's post. In which case, I don't care.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 12 2012, 11:20 PM)
Just realized that Mr. Terrapin isn't familiar with the term 'butthurt'. Thus, he assumed I was dumb, and couldn't spell. Ironic!

Also, he seemed to get very angry when the post wasn't even directed at him. I apologize to you sir, if you do so accept. Unless you're just mad because I didn't enjoy the OP's post. In which case, I don't care.

"Butthurt" is a "Term" now?

No wonder Peart wrote a song about you idiots back in '96

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 12 2012, 06:20 PM)

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

This just gets better and better! Oooh.....the drama..... trink36.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ May 12 2012, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 12 2012, 11:20 PM)

"Butthurt" is a "Term" now?

No wonder Peart wrote a song about you idiots back in '96

yes.gif