Headlong Flight Opinions 3 Weeks Later

rushgoober

Ok, we've had Headlong Flight for 3 weeks now. Do you like it more, less or the same as when it first came out?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Ok, we've had Headlong Flight for 3 weeks now. Do you like it more, less or the same as when it first came out?

• It's even better than I originally thought!
    • It's as good as ever.
    • I don't like it quite as much as I thought I did.
    • I haven't listened to it since it came out and I won't again until the album comes out.

QUOTE (RushIslander @ May 15 2012, 05:16 AM)
OP + the above post =  comp26.gif

Pathetic. Get the f**k over yourselves!

062802puke_prv.gif

Okay nice talking to you then. Wow, what a great discussion forum!

I rarely come here because it's depressing to see what ***holes so many Rush fans really are. I really do expect more.

So here ya go... Yeah man HF rocks my balls -- definitely the best single since Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer or just about anything else! Anyone who thinks they're too good to listen to it is obviously full of himself! There simply can't be any other explanation -- and even if there was it's not even worth discussing because discussing things on forums, rationally and intelligently without hurling epithets and strewing stupid emoticons all over the place is just beyond the pale! I mean ... WTF!?

Edited by FarUnlitUnknown

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Headlong Flight the first time I heard it and I still do. I think it's a good combination of old and new Rush. You can really hear the influence and enthusiasm of Nick Raskulinecz I think.

Hey FarUnlit,

I apologize for coming off as as an asshole, it was early and I was cranky... 1287.gif

I gave a nice synopsis of how I feel about HF earlier in this thread if you want to pick that apart. This whole notion of over analyzing this song for what virtue it my hold is just a little over the top to me.

It's just a great Rush JAMMIN' song to me and I can't help but like it. It is not perfect, but in a rock and roll sense, that's fine with me.

~Peace

trink39.gif

I like the song but not thrilled about it. Only have listened to it a handful of times. I listened to Caravan and BU2B again and again when they were released. Not sue what it is exactly but Headlong Flight feels somewhat like a step backward rather than a step forward. Way too much '70s influence and that's not the era that got me into Rush.

Headlong Flight is becoming one of my all time favorite Rush songs. This song has everything! Awesome guitar riffs, great guitar solo, amazing drumming, out of this world bass playing, good lyrics... I love this song! Can't wait to hear it live!

1022.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 18 2012, 05:44 PM)
Headlong Flight is becoming one of my all time favorite Rush songs. This song has everything! Awesome guitar riffs, great guitar solo, amazing drumming, out of this world bass playing, good lyrics... I love this song! Can't wait to hear it live!

1022.gif

I agree this is RUSH at their best. I feel sorry for those that can't hear that!

dazed025.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 18 2012, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 18 2012, 05:44 PM)

1022.gif

I agree this is RUSH at their best. I feel sorry for those that can't hear that!

dazed025.gif

Thanks for your pity, O Great Setlist Swami. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 19 2012, 03:54 AM)
Seriously, this is the most kick-ass song since Subdivisions!

I like your thinkin ArrowSnake. As good as HF is I think there are better songs to come honestly. This will be the most consistent record since Power Windows is my prediction.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 19 2012, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 19 2012, 03:54 AM)
Seriously, this is the most kick-ass song since Subdivisions!

I like your thinkin ArrowSnake. As good as HF is I think there are better songs to come honestly. This will be the most consistent record since Power Windows is my prediction.

Yeah I have very high expectations for this album too. If there are even better songs than HF on this album, they will blow my mind!

I listened to it twice the first day it was released and thought it was good with its obvious similarities to older songs and even a slight hint of The Beatles.

I just listened twice again, actually listened and read the lyrics and I f'n love it.

That song rocks, sounds great and has me anxious for the rest of the new record.

The playing is top notch, the lyrics are great the story seems interesting and at this point intriguing....I hope it's as great as the we all hope.

Can't wait to see it live..... 2.gif always kicks ass live and this can only kick major ass live!!!!

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 19 2012, 03:43 PM)
Reminds me of an example of what someone who wasn't very familiar with Rush said about them when I brought them up. He said: "Isn't that the band that does all that happy music?".

Haha- that is the worst description of Rush I've ever heard.

I guess by comparison to Slipknot that fits . . .

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 19 2012, 02:43 PM)
Reminds me of an example of what someone who wasn't very familiar with Rush said about them when I brought them up. He said: "Isn't that the band that does all that happy music?".

Many times I've encountered the exact opposite over the years. Even though the red star is clearly a star and not a pentagram it seems to scare people shitless who don't know anything about the band when they see it. I still remember vividly wearing a Rush shirt (with no star on it, just their name) many years ago when I went to someone's house and the host's young daughter said right in front of everyone "Isn't Rush one of those devil-worshipping bands?" Some of the other people who were there who knew nothing about Rush looked at me funny all night. wacko.gif

Simpletons. laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 19 2012, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 19 2012, 02:43 PM)

Many times I've encountered the exact opposite over the years. Even though the red star is clearly a star and not a pentagram it seems to scare people shitless who don't know anything about the band when they see it. I still remember vividly wearing a Rush shirt (with no star on it, just their name) many years ago when I went to someone's house and the host's young daughter said right in front of everyone "Isn't Rush one of those devil-worshipping bands?" Some of the other people who were there who knew nothing about Rush looked at me funny all night. wacko.gif

Simpletons. laugh.gif

I was playing Earthshine at a former job once and one of my coworkers said "what's this devil rock?".

He didn't know who the band was though.

I can see Eush being perceived as "happy" though. Particularly songs like The Spirit of Radio and The Trees. Very upbeat and Geddy sounds all chipmunky on those songs. I see a casual listener associating "happy" with Rush.

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 19 2012, 02:42 PM)
This song kicks ass like no song has done before.

Close thread.

Right now it's the only 2.gif song I want to listen to until they release the rest of the Album!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I don't think i have listened since this poll came out laugh.gif

Ok, I listened to the song again - haven't since I did this thread, and I gotta say, I 'm gonna upgrade the song back from good to very good. Giving it some distance, I actually enjoyed it a lot more - I didn't think it really got repetitive until around 6:42, which was almost all the way through the song. And the song could still grow on me further, so that's a step up! yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 21 2012, 01:22 PM)
Ok, I listened to the song again - haven't since I did this thread, and I gotta say, I 'm gonna upgrade the song back from good to very good. Giving it some distance, I actually enjoyed it a lot more - I didn't think it really got repetitive until around 6:42, which was almost all the way through the song. And the song could still grow on me further, so that's a step up! yes.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 21 2012, 12:22 PM)

I will actually agree that HF is just a tad repetitive. cool.gif

I think HF could have really worked well with a structure that Iron Maiden used on tunes like Aces High or Where Eagles Dare: intro, verse, chorus, long jam section, verse, chorus, outro.

So, just two cycles through all vocal sections, with none of the instrumental (or spoken) parts omitted.