Which Band Is Poor Mans RUSH?

presto123

I've heard Triumph referred to as poor mans Rush in the past but I was just thinking Randy Jackson of Zebra has an even higher voice than Rik Emmett. Triumph was pretty big in their heyday(and are from Canada) but it blows me away that Zebra didn't have a better career than they did. Very good band.

Nothing against Hope or anything but Midsummers Daydream by Emmett is freakin masterpiece. Anybody heard that one? One of my fav guitar instrumentals. Edited by presto123

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ May 4 2012, 02:05 AM)
I like both bands so neither is a poor man's Rush to me.

Both unique, both awesome, neither are close to Rush, IMO.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 4 2012, 04:20 AM)
Nothing against Hope or anything but Midsummers Daydream by Emmett is freakin masterpiece. Anybody heard that one? One of my fav guitar instrumentals.

Rik's acoustic work is phenomenal. Even into his solo career.

Both bands are awesome, but Triumph had a much better career.

I always found Triumph to be the inverse of Rush: everyone sings except the bass player.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ May 4 2012, 01:05 AM)
I like both bands so neither is a poor man's Rush to me.

goodpost.gif Thank You

Zebra I saw in a college gym and they did NOTHING for me. The opening act (who's name i don't recall) was better.

Triumph I saw at the Rochester (NY) war memorial on The Sport of Kings tour. Triumph was just great and to this day it is almost certainly a top 10 (non-Rush) show. Perhaps a top 5 show.

Great group all round. I would go with them over Zebra any day. Not close for me. They are almost certainly a top 5 group for me. Definitely a top 10 group.

QUOTE (canadianice @ May 4 2012, 07:06 PM)
Allied Forces(1981) is CLASSIC album!!!! TRIUMPH rules!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 4 2012, 12:20 AM)
Nothing against Hope or anything but Midsummers Daydream by Emmett is freakin masterpiece. Anybody heard that one? One of my fav guitar instrumentals.

That's good sh**! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by troutman

Back in the 80's,

After hearing Thunder Seven I was hooked! They came to Anchorage back then and rocked the house big time. biggrin.gif BTW, I got Emmett's and Levine's autographs at the local radio station before the show. I still have it. cool.gif

I also like both bands. Triumph, however, is much better known; not many people have heard of Zebra.

Rik Emmet's voice sounds like Geddy's, only better. Really, Rik's voice is phenomenal (listen to the end of "Somebody's Out There"), yet Geddy's similar voice gets criticized. Odd.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 4 2012, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ May 4 2012, 07:06 PM)
Allied Forces(1981) is CLASSIC album!!!!  TRIUMPH rules!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

In my regular rotation of music. Outstanding!!!!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 4 2012, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 4 2012, 02:00 AM)
Triumph and Rush should tour together. That'd be great!

Yeah, it would've been awesome back in 1982 when people actually knew who Triumph was wink.gif

I don't even know Triumph is now, so that's me screwed..! tongue.gif

Rik Emmet is perhaps one of the best classical and electric guitar players out there, up there with Hackett, Howe, and Steve Morse (who are all underneath holdsworth wink.gif However, I am not a fan of the drummer's vocals and some of it is a bit too blues rocky for my tastes. I think if they did more songs like blinding light show I'd enjoy their music more new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Triumph rates into 'My Top Ten' bands of all time.....

Zebra rates in (My) Top 100 .....

Neither band is a -poor man's - Rush

Emmitt is phenomenal. As well are Moore and Levine.

Randy Jackson and The Zebra boys are a fun band with some great classics like The La La Song, Who's Behind The Door and Bears.

No poor man's or doormat status for these Bands...

They Made It....as Rock Stars

Seen Triumph at the Hollywood "snort-a-torium" for Thunder Seven and they played very well. One of the best concerts I ever seen 2.gif included. Rik is a guitar maestro. That being said Zebra was a very good band also . I had their first album and played the hell out of it . Can't live without is still one of my favorite songs. Randy's solo in that song is just about the best guitar solo I ever heard. I just think Triumph and Zebra got caught up in the suck ass trend that was around in the late 80s early 90's . It was obvious fantastic bands like them were sacrificed at the altar of grunge and rap . Great Bands like them fading away is corporate decision . their labels just told them to go to hell and didnt support them .

Thunder Seven, hellz yeah!... 18 yrs old, Lakeland Arena, dry ice smoke and the spinning holograph of the Thunder Seven Man... memories. Probably the loudest show I've ever been to, esp since I was front row and my jeans were pulsing to the bass notes from the speakers. Lakeland shows you always came out with cotton in your ears for two days or so.

Midsummer's Daydream, Stranger in a Strange Land, Spellbound, Lay it on the Line, Little Boy Blues, so many more...

Rik is a great singer/guitarist, but Rush happens to have much more mojo and rocket juice.

But thanks for bringing back good memories.