Why do you like Rush?

Gedneil Alpeart

I wouldn't continue to listen to them if I didn't like the music. That is the biggest factor. I love that they have not stayed with the same sound all the time. It has been a fun roller coaster ride for over 30 years. I'm having too much fun to get off now.

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Apr 29 2012, 09:05 PM)
Why would anything other than the songs themselves matter?

Matters to me....the personality of the band members, their values, the lives they live, their rapport, the way they interact and treat their fans....etc. Yes, the music rocks, but I'm just curious to know what else besides about the music that people like about them as people, etc, from whatever they know.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 29 2012, 09:09 PM)

Matters to me....the personality of the band members, their values, the lives they live, their rapport, the way they interact and treat their fans....etc. Yes, the music rocks, but I'm just curious to know what else besides about the music that people like about them as people, etc, from whatever they know.

The band matters to me, also, other than just the music. I happen to love the music, but get even more appreciation out of it because of the awesomeness of the band members and the respect I have for them, not just musically, but as people.

I like that they are friends, and while each having different personalities, combine together well. I like their senses of humour (which are different, too: Alex with his goofiness, Geddy with his gentle wit, and Neil with his more introspective wryness). I like that they seem to have fun playing music - of all the concerts I've been to (which admittedly have maybe been a dozen or two), I've gotten the best energy from their shows.

I like the thoughtfully produced lyrics. I've said this before, but I like that the songs aren't about gettin' action (putting logs in fireplaces! eyesre4.gif ) and similar pursuits, but about deeper, more philosophical things. I like that Neil works hard on his lyrics.

I like that the band is just themselves, as in they're not trying to be 'cool' or anything they're not. Geddy has said he's finally at a place where he's comfortable wearing whatever he wants at concerts, his jeans 'n' tees, instead of trying to wear something that will impress the audience (hello, kimonos!)

I like that the guys seem to be quite morally sound and grounded people. There are no 'rock 'n' roll' horror stories attached to them, no big-headedness about them.

I love the music, definitely, and that's what has drawn me to Rush in the first place, but that love becomes so much richer when I see the awesomeness of the guys producing that music. Like an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

Sure, good music is good music, but if learned that the guys producing that music were terrible people (I dunno, like druggies cheating on their wives or something, and were ugly to boot!), it would diminish that love.

Hmm, this is a bit long, but you asked! tongue.gif

1. Music

2. Lyrics

3. The Concerts

4. Their integrity (They keep trying to experiment, explore, improve)

5. Their sense of humor

If the Boys were like some other bands - cold, aloof, not good friends with each other - would they still be so popular with us fans? I doubt it. I think their detachment would rub off on us, and we wouldn't be so loyal. Their close relationship is a factor in why we fans like and support them so much. They're unique, and we like it that way.... yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 29 2012, 08:15 PM)
1. Music
2. Lyrics
3. The Concerts
4. Their integrity (They keep trying to experiment, explore, improve)
5. Their sense of humor

If the Boys were like some other bands - cold, aloof, not good friends with each other - would they still be so popular with us fans? I doubt it. I think their detachment would rub off on us, and we wouldn't be so loyal. Their close relationship is a factor in why we fans like and support them so much. They're unique, and we like it that way.... yes.gif yes.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Apr 29 2012, 07:52 PM)

The band matters to me, also, other than just the music. I happen to love the music, but get even more appreciation out of it because of the awesomeness of the band members and the respect I have for them, not just musically, but as people.

I like that they are friends, and while each having different personalities, combine together well. I like their senses of humour (which are different, too: Alex with his goofiness, Geddy with his gentle wit, and Neil with his more introspective wryness). I like that they seem to have fun playing music - of all the concerts I've been to (which admittedly have maybe been a dozen or two), I've gotten the best energy from their shows.

I like the thoughtfully produced lyrics. I've said this before, but I like that the songs aren't about gettin' action (putting logs in fireplaces! eyesre4.gif ) and similar pursuits, but about deeper, more philosophical things. I like that Neil works hard on his lyrics.

I like that the band is just themselves, as in they're not trying to be 'cool' or anything they're not. Geddy has said he's finally at a place where he's comfortable wearing whatever he wants at concerts, his jeans 'n' tees, instead of trying to wear something that will impress the audience (hello, kimonos!)

I like that the guys seem to be quite morally sound and grounded people. There are no 'rock 'n' roll' horror stories attached to them, no big-headedness about them.

I love the music, definitely, and that's what has drawn me to Rush in the first place, but that love becomes so much richer when I see the awesomeness of the guys producing that music. Like an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

Sure, good music is good music, but if learned that the guys producing that music were terrible people (I dunno, like druggies cheating on their wives or something, and were ugly to boot!), it would diminish that love.

This covers pretty much everything I would've posted. Thanks. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 30 2012, 01:22 AM)

trink39.gif No mincing of words with me! smile.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Apr 29 2012, 09:52 PM)

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif yes.gif

I like music if it gives me goosebumps or chills up my spine. Rush isn't the only band that does that to me, but their music has done that to me the most.

Interesting replies, guys... I guess I'm a fan of the music rather than the band. The friendship et al of the trio mean nothing to me if I don't like the music. I mean, it's nice that they're buds and I'm sure the chemistry among them contributes to the quality of their music, but they've put out albums that I don't like and I didn't buy them, because I'm not going to spend the $$ on poor (IMO) output just because they're fun guys. As long as they are not horrible human beings, that's enough for me.

I really like the way Neil stays in touch with the fans . He is always happy to sign something or take a picture even if he is in a hurry , that's what i like most

to me, they represent something greater than music. They stand for embracing your individuality and what makes you unique, no matter how well- or poorly-received it is by others on the outside. They stand for never letting complacency set in, always pushing yourself to change and evolve, even if sticking with the proven formula is far more comfortable. they have never lost their integrity as musicians and people, even in the face of all kinds of ups and downs, from the most glowing praise to the sharpest criticisms, 'down the tubes' tours to selling out arena after arena....the reality is, with this band, it's NOT just about the music. it's definitely bigger than that..... 1022.gif Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 30 2012, 12:25 PM)
I really like the way Neil stays in touch with the fans . He is always happy to sign something or take a picture even if he is in a hurry , that's what i like most

rofl3.gif Leave it to metaldad.

There are a million and 1 reasons why I love these guys. I have always known who RUSH was, but only over the past 3 years when I met/reconnected with an old high school friend who is now my husband, have I really dug deeper and appreciated what and who they are. First I guess, being a girl, the Lyrics struck me. But Neil's drumming, Alex's guitar and awesome riffs and Ged's bass are unsurpassed in my book. There is just way to much to say about them and the reasons I love them. I guess my question would be, Who can NOT love them !!!! 2.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Apr 30 2012, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 30 2012, 01:22 AM)

trink39.gif No mincing of words with me! smile.gif

Covers it for me too. yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 30 2012, 02:38 PM)
They're METAL!

1022.gif

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Apr 30 2012, 01:12 PM)
Interesting replies, guys... I guess I'm a fan of the music rather than the band. The friendship et al of the trio mean nothing to me if I don't like the music. I mean, it's nice that they're buds and I'm sure the chemistry among them contributes to the quality of their music, but they've put out albums that I don't like and I didn't buy them, because I'm not going to spend the $$ on poor (IMO) output just because they're fun guys. As long as they are not horrible human beings, that's enough for me.

goodpost.gif

I do appreciate the fact that they're friends and all that but whether I enjoy the music is really all that matters to me.

I've always liked the fact that they always manage to put on top quality live performances, and they always seem to sound better and better each tour...whereas alot of OTHER bands who have been around for as long as Rush has, and still tours, tend to sound more and more tired each and every tour, and just going through the motions.

When it comes to a live concert, Rush are Top Tier. yes.gif

I love the albums, the studio and live releases the most about Rush. They have so many albums that you can just throw on, hit play and and rock out. Or just play one song before you leave the house or something and you're in an incredible mood for quite a while. But it's cool they have another aspect: lyrics that arent just the same ol' rock & roll drivel.

so for me it's the music first, then the lyrics, then the way they are all but together perfectly as albums. Then probably the concerts, and then all that other stuff about them being friends and good chemistry and stuff.