Clockwork Tour Drum Solo

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 20 2012, 03:36 PM)
Personally I love the drum solos but here is something to chew on.

Do you remember your first RUSH show?
Remember the first time you saw Neil solo?
I'd venture to bet you looked at the person next to you at some point and went "WOW!". You might've even known it was coming.. but still, the first time seeing it live for yourself... it was pretty cool, eh?

Now think about the person at each show who is there for the first time.
They've never seen RUSH before.
Maybe they've heard stories about 10 minute drum solos or maybe they have no clue whats coming and now consider for a moment how unfair it would be to that person not to have that "WOW!" moment.

We've all had that moment... it's part of being a RUSH fan.

goodpost.gif

I would never want to see them do away with it all together. I know exactly what you're saying, as I went to my first concert as a total noob and had that exact reaction.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 20 2012, 03:31 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFG0Ofzd3sI&feature=related

blurry cam... very bad lighting.. but still cool as hell to have something representing the '84 tour

There's a whole DVD representing the '84 tour! Although there's no drum solo on it. It goes right from the YYZ/2112/Tom Sawyer medley to Vital Signs, skipping over the Red Lenses/Drum Solo mix. I guess it was too long for the technology at the time for the home market tongue.gif

Are we really complaining about the electronic drums now? Wow...

People who want double necks and Ricks and all natural drums go download some old recordings and listen to that.. Rush turned from that a looooong time ago. If you're going to complain about every little thing not going your way just stay home and leave tickets open for people who will enjoy the show, not go home whining that they didn't play all of Hemispheres instead of any song from after 1982.

Anyways.. I thought the same thing today. I think that maybe he will extend the solo for a bit, not replacing the full solo later on but just adding a few measures in the song, then Geddy will let lose after that followed by Alex's solo.

Edited by Gilbertk

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 20 2012, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 20 2012, 03:36 PM)
Personally I love the drum solos but here is something to chew on.

Do you remember your first RUSH show?
Remember the first time you saw Neil solo?
I'd venture to bet you looked at the person next to you at some point and went "WOW!".  You might've even known it was coming.. but still, the first time seeing it live for yourself... it was pretty cool, eh?

Now think about the person at each show who is there for the first time.
They've never seen RUSH before.
Maybe they've heard stories about 10 minute drum solos or maybe they have no clue whats coming and now consider for a moment how unfair it would be to that person not to have that "WOW!" moment.

We've all had that moment... it's part of being a RUSH fan.

goodpost.gif

I would never want to see them do away with it all together. I know exactly what you're saying, as I went to my first concert as a total noob and had that exact reaction.

This. Yes yes yes, this.

Let the professor do what he does best! This is always the highlight of the show! So if you don't like it, go take it piss all over yourself!

moon.gif

As for the drum solo, I think Clockwork Angel's going to be his best ever!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I didn't care that much for the Time Machine drum solo, but I have taken three people to their first Rush concert. Each one of them was blown away by the drum solo. My favorite reaction was my wife's. She said, "I don't like drum solos, but that was amazing." Even chicks did the Professor.

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (Ged Lent's sis @ Apr 20 2012, 08:52 AM)
Splitting the four-and-a-half minute break of Headlong Flight?

That's what my Hubby and I thought, too. Maybe. Good spot for it.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 21 2012, 04:16 AM)
A great idea, but I don't they would do it with such a new song.

Maybe not, but they did do it during a new song both with YYZ and Red Lenses.

QUOTE (Ged Lent's sis @ Apr 21 2012, 04:23 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 21 2012, 04:16 AM)
A great idea, but I don't they would do it with such a new song.

Maybe not, but they did do it during a new song both with YYZ and Red Lenses.

True! I remember that and saw that. But then again, neither of those were "singles."

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 21 2012, 02:43 AM)
QUOTE (Ged Lent's sis @ Apr 20 2012, 08:52 AM)
Splitting the four-and-a-half minute break of Headlong Flight?

That's what my Hubby and I thought, too. Maybe. Good spot for it.

Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one! It gets lonely in here sometimes.

I noticed you saw them in May of '84 in Vegas. Did he do the Red Lenses solo-break there as well? Records show that they switched it to between YYZ and Red Lenses in September. I dunno why. I think Headlong Flight kicking back in after the solo would be - to use a word I don't typically - awesome.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 20 2012, 12:05 PM)
And while he is at it, leave that ridiculous hat home as well

laugh.gif

I don't see that happening anymore.

If they really wanna go retro, maybe Neil can wear a Top Hat? tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Top Hat...awesome...and a monacle.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 20 2012, 09:25 PM)

People who want double necks and Ricks and all natural drums go download some old recordings and listen to that.. Rush turned from that a looooong time ago. If you're going to complain about every little thing not going your way just stay home and leave tickets open for people who will enjoy the show, not go home whining that they didn't play all of Hemispheres instead of any song from after 1982.

Anyways.. I thought the same thing today. I think that maybe he will extend the solo for a bit, not replacing the full solo later on but just adding a few measures in the song, then Geddy will let lose after that followed by Alex's solo.

1. This is a message board, we discuss things we like and don't like , it's what we do

2. Who said this ? Different people like different era's of the band , it does not mean they hate Rush now. I have no idea how old you are or how many times you saw Rush but i love the old school solo . Pure power and energy , not samples and ballroom dancing videos . trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 21 2012, 02:25 PM)

1. This is a message board, we discuss things we like and don't like , it's what we do

2. Who said this ? Different people like different era's of the band , it does not mean they hate Rush now. I have no idea how old you are or how many times you saw Rush but i love the old school solo . Pure power and energy , not samples and ballroom dancing videos . trink39.gif

Oh so now you hate Ballroom dancing too? angry.gif ohmy.gif dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Apr 21 2012, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 21 2012, 02:25 PM)

Oh so now you hate Ballroom dancing too? angry.gif ohmy.gif dazed025.gif

I do at Rock shows laugh.gif

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 20 2012, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 20 2012, 10:57 AM)
Leave the electronic bullshit at home and just play the f-n drums

"Boom...Krackatta Kracatta...Boom...Boomm sssh sssh Booom Ssshhh......clang kratackta kratackta kratackta ...shhhsshh....beeeooow...beeeooow....Booom....kratackta ting ting..."

I have to admit on S&A live that electronic portion sounded like a bar fight from Star Wars on CD....

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 20 2012, 11:29 AM)
if you dont like the drum solo then go take a piss or grab a beer.
a majority of us love the drum solo.

it wouldnt be a RUSH concert without it.

TMT was the first tour where I did use the drum solo as a bathroom/beer break yes.gif