Possible Headlong Flight Lyrics?

Nate1647

Buddy of mine said he found these on a very in depth google search.

The Capital City, where the Watchmaker casts light onto the sky

I gaze upon the luminescent clouds, and ask myself why, oh why

The beings around me don't show concern

For them, life goes on

I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels

And I wonder what went wrong

No idea the validity in these, nor do I know where they really come from

and thanks 1-0-0 smile.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:11 PM)
Buddy of mine said he found these on a very in depth google search.

The Capital City, where the Watchmaker casts light onto the sky
I gaze upon the luminescent clouds, and ask myself why, oh why
The beings around me don't show concern
For them, life goes on
I stoke the fires of the big steel wheels
And I wonder what went wrong

No idea the validity in these, nor do I know where they really come from

and thanks 1-0-0 smile.gif

Sounds like Rush to me! I like them! cool.gif

Out of context it doesn't read well to me - kind of like an inferior version of 2112? Then again, the song BU2B didn't exactly endear me to the concept of "The Watchmaker," but again I was taking the concept of it to what it seemed to mean in that song since that's how it was released, not as part of a greater story.

This can be a real problem with releasing bits and pieces from a story. Out of context, they don't necessarily work. Maybe this is one album where if they do release more material pre-album (too late with Caravan and BU2B), it should be from songs that stand alone and don't need any other context.

Then again, these lyrics can be complete bullshit (no offense to the OP, but they're hardly from an official source as of yet).

I doubt the veracity of this. I did an "in depth" Google search of my own, testing for the existence of "The beings around me don't show concern" and it turned up zero results. Not results that are unrelated: zero pages containing that phrase at all.

Those are not the lyrics to Headlong Flight (other than the reprint of the big steel wheels line which was already tweeted publicly and is actually slightly incorrect).

To answer the inevitable follow-ups - yes I've heard the song and no I can't say much about it.

Not saying I doubt the OP's version, but this is just too clumsy for Rush.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 4 2012, 06:18 PM)
Those are not the lyrics to Headlong Flight (other than the reprint of the big steel wheels line which was already tweeted publicly and is actually slightly incorrect).

To answer the inevitable follow-ups - yes I've heard the song and no I can't say much about it.

Ok, you can't say much about it, but can you say ANYTHING more about it?

Or did you just come here to be a big tease? wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 4 2012, 06:18 PM)

Ok, you can't say much about it, but can you say ANYTHING more about it?

Or did you just come here to be a big tease? wink.gif

OK...probably unfair to toss that out there without saying a little more even if I was just trying to correct misinformation. I'll say that Headlong Flight is the song that contains the lyrics that Neil wrote about in his last blog entry. It also reminds me a lot of Caravan - for better and for worse. It's not "the 80's in a blender" (the guy who posted that is full of crapola) and it's not By-Tor or Bastille Day. It totally rocks musically and it's really awkward vocally and it lacks hooks and a chorus in the same way that Caravan does but it has a lot more balls than most of the stuff from the last bunch of years does. If only Neil still wrote songs instead of lyrical passages that Geddy has to figure out how to turn into songs...

To be fair, the "80-91 in a blender" comment was from someone commenting on the album preview, not just the single that all the other quotes described. I'm not saying that will be any more accurate but I'm just pointing out it's incorrect to say HF was described that way.

But besides that, without even hearing a note of it I could have told you with reasonable confidence that it'll sound more like Caravan than Bytor.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 4 2012, 09:35 PM)
The alleged Headlong Flight lyrics from Neil's blog:

Some days were dark
Some nights were bright
I wish that I could live it all again

Written in honor of Freddie Gruber, RIP

I guess Headlong flight aren't part of the Clockwork Angels Suite then. Nice sentiment for his former teacher!

wub.gif