Possible Headlong Flight Lyrics?

Nate1647

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think the choruses for both Caravan and BU2B are quite melodic, particularly BU2B.

I'm a big fan of Snakes and Arrows and both new songs, so if the rest of Clockwork Angels lives up to them I'll be a happy camper smile.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 4 2012, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:11 PM)
a very in depth google search

huh.gif

I did my own "in depth" search...the only place I found these lyrics was here.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Apr 5 2012, 02:37 AM)
I would imagine if you didn't like Caravan and BU2B, you probably won't like Clockwork Angels. no.gif

Some around here seem to have already given up on CA after the first two songs, or after one mediocre BH review. confused13.gif

even though i don't care for caravan and bu2b, i haven't given up. i'd be happy getting 2-3 good solid tunes from the rest of the album so we'll see what happens.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 4 2012, 08:18 PM)
Those are not the lyrics to Headlong Flight (other than the reprint of the big steel wheels line which was already tweeted publicly and is actually slightly incorrect).

To answer the inevitable follow-ups - yes I've heard the song and no I can't say much about it.

I'll take your word for it. Those lyrics lack quality.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 5 2012, 06:07 AM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Apr 5 2012, 02:37 AM)
I would imagine if you didn't like Caravan and BU2B, you probably won't like Clockwork Angels. no.gif 

Some around here seem to have already given up on CA after the first two songs, or after one mediocre BH review. confused13.gif

even though i don't care for caravan and bu2b, i haven't given up. i'd be happy getting 2-3 good solid tunes from the rest of the album so we'll see what happens.

+1

1. Everyone has their own opinions and interpretations of what they hear.

2. Headlong Flight is part of the Clockwork Angels story.

3. Don't forget - the people posting about it have generally been radio or industry people (in coordination with a PR campaign), not the diehards who know the band inside and out and likely have different opinions.

4. I'd venture to say that the poster who mentioned hearing various songs and that it sounds like the 80s and whatever else didn't actually hear it.

5. If the lines I mentioned from Neil's post are in the song, then you know I've heard it. Ask him to quote a line.

6. I wouldn't say this is S&A Part 2 by any means. It rocks musically and has a lot more balls to it. It's just that, to me, it still seems like Neil now writes blog entries and novels that are sung as songs rather than songs that rhyme and have hooks and choruses etc. In that sense it reminds me of Caravan a lot. You all might feel differently.

All the journeys...

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 5 2012, 08:52 AM)
3. Don't forget - the people posting about it have generally been radio or industry people (in coordination with a PR campaign), not the diehards who know the band inside and out and likely have different opinions.
4. I'd venture to say that the poster who mentioned hearing various songs and that it sounds like the 80s and whatever else didn't actually hear it.
5. If the lines I mentioned from Neil's post are in the song, then you know I've heard it. Ask him to quote a line.
6. I wouldn't say this is S&A Part 2 by any means. It rocks musically and has a lot more balls to it. It's just that, to me, it still seems like Neil now writes blog entries and novels that are sung as songs rather than songs that rhyme and have hooks and choruses etc. In that sense it reminds me of Caravan a lot. You all might feel differently.

All the journeys...

just say no to shoehorning! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 5 2012, 07:52 AM)

All the journeys...

Thanks for all that, I would just say that while most of your bulletpoints are reasonable and I have no cause not to believe you a couple of them stand out. Obviously, like you said, everyone will hear things differently and it's also apparent that HF is part of the CA story but when you say that the radio people who have commented on it are part of the PR and are not really knowledgeable fans this is the exact opposite perception that we first got which is that we shouldn't trust the glowing reviews because most of the comments about HF came from hardcore fans. After all, Dominic Nardella's Twitter page has the Time Machine tour art as the background and Grover Collins' page is Starman wallpaper. Most of the comments about the single have been from those two, they certainly appear to be real fans. Maybe too much to trust their impressions.

And secondly, Sniglets is the poster on the CP board who started the talk of the listening party in the first place and specified someone who was a friend (not by name) from the NY Post that would be there. He followed up the initial info with this post:

Sorry I have been unable to post on here as I have been busy with work. Listening party happened a bit later than scheduled yesterday as it was more after 1 pm. I wasn't there but my friend was and he said if you would have wanted Rush albums in the 80s to have a harder edge then this is your record. The songs are like a winding journey and definitely has a more modern day concept feel to them. Keyboards are present on the record so if you loathe them, sorry! He didn't compare it to any particular album and that was a relief. He said just take 80 to 91 in a blender and that was it. Single should be out on or about April 1st. It is being sent to radio this weekend. My guess is this one doesn't leak. More as I hear more. It was basically a text conversation about it and I haven't had really the time to get in touch with him as he has other assignments.

Considering he's the one that posted about the listening event even before Ed at RIAB did I would say he's pretty credible. Again though, the description above refers to the album as a whole which is a different perspective from the radio people who had only the single played for them. Both of you may be telling the truth about what you heard because peoples' impressions will vary, but at this point I'm not willing to say yet that the person above "didn't actually hear it". Sniglets has enough credibility to give him the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. Of course he also passed on that the single would be out on the 1st. But Grover Collins also said it would be out the week of the first. Maybe it just wasn't made clear or the plans were changed. But anyway I appreciate your input as well. smile.gif The bottom line is that no matter who actually heard what, the fans are going to have to hear it for themselves to really know what it sounds like.

Everyone would gather

On the twenty-ninth of May

Standing in the lines

Of a midnight release day

#Hashtag rumors - on the net

Only to find the song eludes us yet

Though it's just new music

Some music lasts forever.

can you describe anything more...? Types of sounds? Comparisons to other Rush sounds ( guitars bas tone etc)....I think I know the kind fo drum sound Neil will go for these days...

Just curious as to if you could fill in just a bit more on stuff like that or structure, description

thanks

I cannot believe we've achieved the level of critiquing music and lyrics that we have not even heard yet! laugh.gif

I heard the upcoming tour really sucks ass, and that compared to Rush shows in the past, the playing is sloppy and emotionless. ph34r.gif

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:23 PM)
I hope not....

Why not? If so, these are awesome lyrics like the OLDEN days of epic Rush 1022.gif

The first people who gave short reviews said: #1--It sounds like 81-90 Rush with a lot of keyboards

#2 said: It sounds like 74-77 Rush.

Everyone is getting their panties in a wad over nothing tongue.gif Just be patient we'll all know and be able to judge for ourselves soon enough

QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 5 2012, 09:07 AM)

I also don't like that a 7:20 song can be reduced to 4 minutes and some change and one listener couldn't tell the difference.

Is between the 5.20 and the 4.40 version, not 7.25/4.40 wink.gif

Edited by Alexmai

I really hope these aren't legit lyrics, just because it sounds like a rip off of 2112. Also, even as bad as Neil's lyrics writing has been in the past ("Dog Years" anyone?), the lyrics in "Caravan" and "BU2B" seem to reflect some way more thought-out lyrics, at least once you get past the pointless and endless repetition from those two songs. Also, unless this "Watchmaker" theme plays a part that integral to the whole album, I don't see why another mention would need to be made to it. beathorse.gif