Rate S&A

Gompers

Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how do you rate Snake and Arrows?

After 74 votes, we have a rating of 7.4. Not bad!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Mar 30 2012, 09:54 PM)
Just dreadful wretchedness. Listening to it is a reasonably effective laxative.

Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone likes it, but there you guys are. trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

I can't get behind hate for Snakes And Arrows. It was the album that got me into Rush in the first place. It's melodic, flows well, and sounds good on a high quality stereo. Faithless is the weakest of the tracks to me, but other than that there's good rock to be had, albeit maybe slightly generic.

I'll give it a five.

"Far Cry" is bloody awesome, and there are some other "good" tracks (Main Monkey Business, Way the Wind Blows, MalNar), but it still has way too many songs which are just "okay" in my book, and too many songs which plod along at mid-tempo and go nowhere. Then there's "Good News First" and "Bravest Face," which both just absolutely blow chunks, IMO.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 30 2012, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 30 2012, 10:09 AM)
0 . Will Never be played agian .  REO Speedwagon does Metal

I see. Well there is the issue with you. It is not metal, like most of Rush music. IMO, calling Rush metal is just about a joke.

Now I know you have a grudge against Geddy's metal sensibilities...

ph34r.gif

I'll give it a 7/10.

There are no bad songs (although Spindrift and Faithless are both pretty average), but there are no truly great Rush classics either. The Main Monkey Business, MalNar and Armor and Sword are all really, really good, but just a hair short of great. The rest all range from good to very good.

Ultimately, it is a fairly consistent record, and a nice listen from start to finish, but the lack of anything that kicks my ass prevents me from going higher than 7/10.

I'd have originally given this like an 8, just because I enjoy it much more than their other recent albums. However, over time I've gotten pretty bored by S&S, and I think its more like a 5 or 6 now, but I still think it was a step in a better direction.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 4 2012, 07:43 PM)
forgettable blah and add a dash of suckass

Throw in Overproduced and you have the perfect way to describe the album

6.7 average so far. Not too bad. I wonder how VT rates............

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 5 2012, 09:38 AM)

Not very high

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 5 2012, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 5 2012, 09:38 AM)

Not very high

No surprise there.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 29 2012, 03:38 PM)
Where's the zero option?

Between your ears! 1287.gif

S&A is a damn fine album! A tiny bit "busy" for me but I still play it occasionally ..

I'll give it a 7

Seriously though, do you have any idea how hard it is for me to think about S&A right now while we're on the cusp of CA???

I think the major problem is that it seems to go on just too long. Now, I know plenty of albums over an hour that work just fine, but I think this album has too many songs that go "Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus" that it just makes the record seem endless. I think if they maybe left some as b-sides or bonus tracks instead of feeling a need to put them all on one record it might have been better- but then again, we only get a new Rush record every half a decade wink.gif

Hmmmm..... I give it a 5.

It's a lovely-sounding album... Alex's guitar tone has never been fuller, Neil's drums are very lifelike and expressive, and I like the experimentation with new types of percussion, and Geddy's bass playing is groovy as ever.

But the songwriting doesn't click for me. Most of the songs are exciting for 30 seconds or so and then get boring. I do love The Main Monkey Business though, and I hope they bring it out for the upcoming tour...

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Mar 29 2012, 08:29 AM)

I like Far Cry, A&S, and MalNar a lot. Some of the other songs I think are okay (WTA, Wind Blows, MMB), and some I strongly dislike (Bravest Face, We Hold On). Big ol' "meh" album for me.

Pretty much how I feel.

I like A&S, TMMB, MalNar, and Hope. That's about it.

QUOTE (Checkster2112 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:16 PM)
I'd have originally given this like an 8, just because I enjoy it much more than their other recent albums. However, over time I've gotten pretty bored by S&S, and I think its more like a 5 or 6 now, but I still think it was a step in a better direction.

My thoughts exactly.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 29 2012, 02:07 PM)
I give it a 7. There's some great stuff on there, but there are a couple of clunkers too.

This.

The shelf value on this one is fading, but there are still some stellar tracks on there.

After 99 votes:

Rating = 6.66

ph34r.gif

its funny because the other day was the first time I put it on in awhile...I really liked it so I put it in the car to listen to this week...after a few days I found myself mildly annoyed by it...I don't get it.

A Song like "Any Way the Wind Blows" after a few listens has me suddenly feeling annoyed and singing nonsense lyrics like "We can only blow the way the windows" over my annoyance...I don't get it.

The album sounds fresh at first then gets weaker....5

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 13 2012, 03:00 PM)
its funny because the other day was the first time I put it on in awhile...I really liked it so I put it in the car to listen to this week...after a few days I found myself mildly annoyed by it...I don't get it.

A Song like "Any Way the Wind Blows" after a few listens has me suddenly feeling annoyed and singing nonsense lyrics like "We can only blow the way the windows" over my annoyance...I don't get it.

on a side note I find it wildly amusing that as much as Neil Peart is against God, he often uses phrases from the Bible in songs and his other writings.