Relayer

Powderfinger

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Mar 27 2012, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 27 2012, 04:07 PM)
Relayer is their best album. It's them at the peak of their creativity and displays a level of chaos they never explored again after this album. It is brash, it is ugly, it is chaotic, it is absolutely beautiful in every way. The insanity that is The Gates of Delirium sets up the gorgeous serenity of Soon so perfectly, it's the sunlight after a brutal storm. This song is the best thing Yes ever did, and the other two songs manage to capture insanity and tranquility in shorter packages.

Pretty much this.

Soon oh soon the light

Pass within and soothe this endless night

And wait here for you

Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the time

All we move to gain will reach and calm

Our heart is open

Our reason to be here

Long ago, set into rhyme

Soon oh soon the light

Ours to shape for all time, ours the right

The sun will lead us

Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the light

The sun will lead us

Our reason to be here

(Beautiful...)

QUOTE (goose @ Mar 27 2012, 11:42 PM)
Relayer is their best album. It's them at the peak of their creativity and displays a level of chaos they never explored again after this album. It is brash, it is ugly, it is chaotic, it is absolutely beautiful in every way. The insanity that is The Gates of Delirium sets up the gorgeous serenity of Soon so perfectly, it's the sunlight after a brutal storm. This song is the best thing Yes ever did, and the other two songs manage to capture insanity and tranquility in shorter packages.

Pretty much this.

Soon oh soon the light

And wait here for you

Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the time

Our heart is open

Our reason to be here

Long ago, set into rhyme

Soon oh soon the light

The sun will lead us

Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the light

The sun will lead us

Our reason to be here

(Beautiful...)

That is beautiful. I'm getting stoked now. I'll put an order into Amazon tomorrow.

Relayer is great.

Gates is the band at the top of their game, in every respect. It is a haul to listen to, which is why I do not listen to it that often, but every day I do is a wonderful experience.

Sound Chaser is kind of a clusterF, but it has some good parts in there to go along with the not-so great parts.

To Be Over is a great closer; wonderfully melodic and sprawling.

A definite upgrade over Tales, which is good, but a bit too meandering and out there. I can't say I like Relayer more than Close to the Edge or The Yes Album, but it is great nonetheless.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:22 AM)
not to mention the artwork is beautiful. wub.gif

http://www.pentaclerecords.net/darien3/relayer.jpg

Roger Dean said it was his favorite Yes cover and favorite Yes album.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:22 AM)
not to mention the artwork is beautiful. wub.gif

yes.gif My fav Yes cover

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 28 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 28 2012, 12:22 PM)
not to mention the artwork is beautiful.  wub.gif

This is my favorite album cover ever.

I think it is their most mystic.

Also, Soon is some of the most beautiful music ever.

Relayer is my favorite Yes album and The Gates Of Delirium is my favorite Yes tune.

In my mind, Relayer is the Yes equivalent of Hemispheres. At the top of their game in instrumental proginess.

Sound Chaser is such a wierd tune. Nothing else really like it. In the mid 90's when we would get ahold of some nitrous balloons, the one tune we always had to play while sucking in the gas was Sound Chaser. To this day, the song doesn't sound right without the hissing of a deflating balloon.

Anyways, CTTE is my #2 Yes album and I will have to admit that I never could really get into TFTO.

QUOTE (goose @ Mar 27 2012, 11:42 PM)

Pretty much this.

Soon oh soon the light

And wait here for you

Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the time

Our heart is open

Our reason to be here

Long ago, set into rhyme

Soon oh soon the light

The sun will lead us

Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the light

The sun will lead us

Our reason to be here

(Beautiful...)

I'm in another world when I hear that.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 29 2012, 11:35 AM)
Relayer is my favorite Yes album and The Gates Of Delirium is my favorite Yes tune.

In my mind, Relayer is the Yes equivalent of Hemispheres. At the top of their game in instrumental proginess.

Sound Chaser is such a wierd tune. Nothing else really like it. In the mid 90's when we would get ahold of some nitrous balloons, the one tune we always had to play while sucking in the gas was Sound Chaser. To this day, the song doesn't sound right without the hissing of a deflating balloon.

Anyways, CTTE is my #2 Yes album and I will have to admit that I never could really get into TFTO.

goodpost.gif

Whether you like it or not, Hemispheres is Rush's Relayer. yes.gif

Actually, many Rush and Yes albums fit 1-on-1 if you think about it

Rush vs. Time and a Word (and Yes ST) - not the bands final sound, many shorter, pleasant tunes

FBN vs. The Yes Album - first 'real album', more evolved sound, emphasis on guitar

CoS vs. Fragile - many epics, disjointed sound

2112 vs. Close to the Edge - huge epic on side 1, in many ways a breakthrough, landmark prog albums

AFTK vs. Tales from Topographic Oceans - further exploration of the epic songs... (This is the weakest comparison)

Hemisphers vs. Relayer - the epitome of prog rock values, huge epics, amazing instrumental passages

PeW vs. Going for the One - move to a more general 'rock' sound, shorter songs, still some classics

smile.gif After that it sort of breaks down....

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Mar 27 2012, 06:13 PM)

Their best album is and always gonna be Close to the Edge. Relayer just continue the decline that started in Tales From Topographic Oceans.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42912553/dash%20let%20me%20laugh%20harder.PNG

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Mar 27 2012, 05:13 PM)

Their best album is and always gonna be Close to the Edge. Relayer just continue the decline that started in Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Would be funnier if I could figure out how to get the video to work. Do you use the img button or hyperlink it? Or can you not enable videos on TRF?

Edited by GuitarKid 1880

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 29 2012, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 29 2012, 11:35 AM)

In my mind, Relayer is the Yes equivalent of Hemispheres.  At the top of their game in instrumental proginess.

Sound Chaser is such a wierd tune.  Nothing else really like it.  In the mid 90's when we would get ahold of some nitrous balloons, the one tune we always had to play while sucking in the gas was Sound Chaser.  To this day, the song doesn't sound right without the hissing of a deflating balloon.

goodpost.gif

Whether you like it or not, Hemispheres is Rush's Relayer. yes.gif

Actually, many Rush and Yes albums fit 1-on-1 if you think about it

Rush vs. Time and a Word (and Yes ST) - not the bands final sound, many shorter, pleasant tunes

FBN vs. The Yes Album - first 'real album', more evolved sound, emphasis on guitar

CoS vs. Fragile - many epics, disjointed sound

2112 vs. Close to the Edge - huge epic on side 1, in many ways a breakthrough, landmark prog albums

AFTK vs. Tales from Topographic Oceans - further exploration of the epic songs... (This is the weakest comparison)

Hemisphers vs. Relayer - the epitome of prog rock values, huge epics, amazing instrumental passages

PeW vs. Going for the One - move to a more general 'rock' sound, shorter songs, still some classics

smile.gif After that it sort of breaks down....

goodpost.gif

There are some nice comparisons there. We know Geddy was following Yes closely and Neil admires Bruford so Yes was definitely an influence.

QUOTE (GuitarKid 1880 @ Mar 29 2012, 09:07 PM)

Would be funnier if I could figure out how to get the video to work. Do you use the img button or hyperlink it? Or can you not enable videos on TRF?

That was awesome.

You use the IMG, by the way.

Relayer is an essential Yes album but it pales in comparison to the creative peak that was The Yes Album-Fragile-Close To The Edge. By the time of Relayer it seems they had lost some of their unity and sense of collective purpose. It's chaotic and rambling and lacks the melodic strength and beauty of their earlier work. Plus Moraz never really fit in.

Jon Anderson is one of the best creators of melody to arrive in the last century. While Relayer may be one of their most adventurous efforts, the melody (Soon) that comes out of the cacophony is sublime. Side two has some great moments as well, although to be over could have been over a bit sooner imo....The only criticism I have of this record is that sometimes it is difficult to discern between the guitar and keys. I would have liked to see what RW would have contributed to this.