Alexmai

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Mar 22 2012, 03:44 AM)
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=...J3lkYQ59vAeiQ_g

EDIT: My bad, it was on RIAB... An art school classwork  wink.gif

We'll have to take that I guess. Rush sure isn't going to give us anything rofl3.gif

You're right. That is a wicked looking cover though. Very dark.

Edited by presto123

It looks more like a tribute album FOR Clockwork Angels.

I'm thinking would have something more along the lines of these:

http://www.wendyperriam.com/images/cuckoo.jpg http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images1/cuckoo1.jpg

I don't really like either one of these 2 pics but I'm thinking they'll go with something like 'em.

I didn't really like the VT or SnA album covers so I'd guess they'll do something cuckoo again!

http://www.littlereview.com/goddesslouise/art/cuckoo/cuckoo20.jpg

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 22 2012, 12:28 PM)
It looks more like a tribute album FOR Clockwork Angels.

I'm thinking would have something more along the lines of these:
http://www.wendyperriam.com/images/cuckoo.jpg        http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images1/cuckoo1.jpg
I don't really like either one of these 2 pics but I'm thinking they'll go with something like 'em.

I didn't really like the VT or SnA album covers so I'd guess they'll do something cuckoo again!
http://www.littlereview.com/goddesslouise/art/cuckoo/cuckoo20.jpg

S 'n' A was horrible. Looks like it was lifted from a incense box.

I liked VT though. My wife did an oil painting of it for me when we were dating. Not that it swung it for her or anything.....she still hates Rush with a passion.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Mar 22 2012, 08:03 AM)
I seriously thought this was the novel cover at first! laugh.gif

I thought it may have been also until I noticed the big 'Rush' at the top.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 22 2012, 06:33 AM)
Screams "art school" one hundred miles away. Quite bad.

I'm hoping that's sarcasm.

Coming from someone who always likes to joke around that I can't even draw stick figures, I think this artwork is AMAZING! Very interesting.

Yeah I agree. Ive been a professional designer for 13 years, and that looks like all the cheap overly designed Photoshop crap I was doing in school.

Not surprisingly at all, it even comes with a lame ass drop shadow behind the bands name, and a freaking bevel on top of it! Every design school project has bevels and drop shadows. First thing you learn when you start actually getting good is get away from those cheap looking filters.

Horrible.

Edited by trenken

Hey Thats a very cool Album Cover! I love it and yes it might be better than the actual cover if they go the same way as S & A. I actually like the Hands holding the arrows and Snake better than the actual cover.

Really good job!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 22 2012, 12:53 PM)

Yeah I agree. Ive been a professional designer for 13 years, and that looks like all the cheap overly designed Photoshop crap I was doing in school.

Not surprisingly at all, it even comes with a lame ass drop shadow behind the bands name, and a freaking bevel on top of it! Every design school project has bevels and drop shadows. First thing you learn when you start actually getting good is get away from those cheap looking filters.

Horrible.

I think it looks awesome. smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 22 2012, 11:53 AM)

Horrible.

Kinda harsh eh? The only reason you'd know that stuff is if someone called your work "horrible" and "lame ass" at some point.

Glad we have so many professionals on the internet with their infinite wisdom. I'll be ready for the audio engineers when CA comes out.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Mar 22 2012, 05:26 PM)

Horrible.

Kinda harsh eh? The only reason you'd know that stuff is if someone called your work "horrible" and "lame ass" at some point.

Glad we have so many professionals on the internet with their infinite wisdom. I'll be ready for the audio engineers when CA comes out.

The only way to get better is to learn what you're doing wrong and what can be improved. If everyone tells that guy his work is great, 10 years from now he'll still be doing the same entry level Photoshop work. Criticism is a great thing and is the quickest way to improving. Without your development as a designer is very slow.

You think I was harsh? Go post that image on a design site with tons of very talented designers, like QBN.com for example, and see the responses that gets. I already know exactly what they'll say about that cover and it will not be nice at all.

If someone likes it that's fine, people can like whatever they want. But you show it to people who are good designers and of course they're not going to say it's good just to make the guy feel better. Designers help each other out by telling them what they need to improve. We don't stroke each other just to be nice guys otherwise we all just become stagnant.

Horrible.

And by the way plenty of people have told me my work sucks and I'm very thankful for that. That was many years ago and I've gotten a hell of a lot better. If everyone told me what I was doing at the time was great Id be doing the same crap now working some entry level design job for low pay. Only way to move up is have people better than you tear your work to pieces so that you know what you need to fix. If noone tells you, no way for you to know what's really wrong with it.

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 22 2012, 06:12 PM)

Horrible.

The only way to get better is to learn what you're doing wrong and what can be improved. If everyone tells that guy his work is great, 10 years from now he'll still be doing the same entry level Photoshop work. Criticism is a great thing and is the quickest way to improving. Without your development as a designer is very slow.

You think I was harsh? Go post that image on a design site with tons of very talented designers, like QBN.com for example, and see the responses that gets. I already know exactly what they'll say about that cover and it will not be nice at all.

If someone likes it that's fine, people can like whatever they want. But you show it to people who are good designers and of course they're not going to say it's good just to make the guy feel better. Designers help each other out by telling them what they need to improve. We don't stroke each other just to be nice guys otherwise we all just become stagnant.

Exactly. And it's the same with music, art, video, writing - anything that requires any measure of creativity and talent. If all anyone ever says about your early work is that it's awesome, you'll never grow.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 22 2012, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 22 2012, 06:12 PM)

Horrible.

Exactly. And it's the same with music, art, video, writing - anything that requires any measure of creativity and talent. If all anyone ever says about your early work is that it's awesome, you'll never grow.

That's right. Criticism shouldn't ever get anyone down, and I hope that guy sees the comments and works on it, and then gets better.

That's not the worst Photoshop work ive ever seen. There's some artistic quality there, but it can be better. Drop shadows and bevels on a band logo are very 90s. It just immediately looks dated just from that alone and has that typical 90s Photoshop look to it.

The rest of it is really missing contrast. It's just so bland and lifeless and just doesn't convey anything to me. It looks like someone just trying to make something look "cool", which to me means the cover is useless.

Look at the Signals album cover. It's nothing but a dog by a fire hydrant, that probably took them an hour to go shoot, but it's the concept that's important. Photoshop tricks and filters don't do that.