Next Album Live

Kent

Forgive if this has been discussed...but in your opinion what album should Rush cover from start to finish, that they haven't done.

Keep in mind in 07 they did 2112 side one, and Moving Pictures, so besides those two. Which album would you like to see featured?

I personally would like to see them do Permanent Waves, or Presto.

2.gif

--Kent

I would like to Never hear Closer To The Heart ever agian

Well, personally, I'd love to see all of Caress of Steel performed.

Realistically, I'd say Permanent Waves would be best suited for this sort of thing. It's strong all the way through, it's popular with both hard-core and more-casual fans, it's short enough that there would still be room in the set for plenty of new songs and other classic tunes, and I think Geddy is still capable of performing the vocals reasonably well.

Permanent Waves is the only one that makes any sense at this point, considering:

1) Two of the four songs most radio stations ever play from Rush anymore are on this in Spirit of the Radio and Freewill. If they're going to use another "Rush play another classic album" to promote a new tour it'll have to be from one that casual fans would recognize.

2) They've already played most of these a lot in recent years so there wouldn't be as much practice needed or much in the way of new lightshow mumbo-jumbo required.

3) Jacob's Ladder would give Geddy's voice a huge rest since so much of it's instrumental. It'd also appease the hard core fans who raged on Alex when he said they were going to play it before, and then didn't.

4) They could "wing" something like Different Strings and arrange it into something that would be possible live, maybe acoustic who knows. It'd give Neil's arms a good rest so they could play Natural Science fast again like on Different Stages.

I mean hey, I'd like to see them play all of Signals, Caress of Steel, or Farewell to Kings too but it's not gonna' happen tongue.gif

lots of good comments. I'm still wondering if it would be practical. don't get me wrong, I love the 2112 and Moving Pictures ideas - but do they really have any other albums that resonate that strongly with the "casual" fan? I can't really imagine many casual fans getting hyped about "New Rush Tour - they will be playing Presto IN ITS ENTIRETY!"

I'm only bringing this up 'cause I thought I read somewhere that Geddy said they may try this again in the future.

I would prefer if they did one that they haven't done much from in the past. Unlike many, I love Snakes and Arrows, but we've already seen 10 out of 13 songs from the past two tours - so I wouldn't want that one. So, yeah, Presto, Counterparts, RTB, etc. would be what I vote for. And, yes, I know we're being "silly", but it's quite possible that if they did one of their "mediocre" albums - we'd have a new appreciation for them. Never did care much for the studio version of Closer to the Heart - but love most of the live versions - 'cause it had new life breathed into it.

If I had to bet money, though, I'd go with PeW - for reasons already mentioned.

Clem

Feedback. 1022.gif

But seriously, if they played Permanent Waves I'd be pretty ecstatic. Especially if they play Natural Science with the original arrangement.

I would love for them to do Cygnus X1 and then ALL of Hemispheres including Circumstances, The Trees and La Villa

But I also understand that the casual fans wouldn't be nearly excited about this as 2112 or PeW

Favorite Yes album! Although I don't think I'd even want to hear modern Yes play that one these days. 

One of my faves as well, and I agree, I love YES, saw them last summer with Styx, but I am not a fan of the Jon Anderson clone they have now. But it was a special treat to see Howe, Squire and White. They may be old and have lost a little but they are personal musical heroes. Was on the 6th row and got some awesome pics, and memories. But Styx blew 'em away.

Anyway, didn't mean to change the subject! I would also love to hear Signals live!

1. Permanent Waves

2. Hemispheres

3. Signals

4. Grace Under Pressure

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

But if Clockwork Angels comes out as good as I think it will be, perhaps it will be Clockwork Angels on the next Tour!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Mar 16 2012, 03:06 PM)
But Styx blew 'em away.

yes.gif

I saw that tour as well. Am a fan of both, but Styx definitely owned the show. That keyboard player ph34r.gif

To get back on subject, I'd like Hemispheres in full common001.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ Mar 16 2012, 06:39 PM)
I'd like Hemispheres in full

I've been wondering what Book 2 would sound like tuned down.

I'm a pretty big fan of the down tuning of 2112 because it just sounds so damn heavy. I wonder if it would have the same effect on Hemispheres?

No offense to the "casual fan", but they don't know half the songs played anyway. The casual fans usually only know, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Freewill, Closer to the Heart, The Spirit of Radio, Fly By Night and Working Man. 2112 in it's entirety is not really a "casual fan" song. There are a couple more songs that a "casual fan" may know like Subdivisions, The Big Money and Time Stand Still, but really, that's about it. So RUSH could play a bunch of those songs and then one of the following albums in its entirety and even some other non-casual fans songs. The following would be my order of albums I'd want want to hear in their entirety:

1. Hemispheres

2. Caress Of Steel

3. A Farewell To Kings

4. Signals

5. Presto

And really, for me, those 5 could be in a different order depending on the "Different Stages" (sorry tongue.gif) that I go thru. I could also easily substitute different albums into that top 5, but at this moment, that would be my five and my order.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 16 2012, 10:19 AM)

^^ +1 Also add Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Spirit of the Radio, Subdivisions and every other song they play EVERY tour.

With a catalog so vast I wish they would chuck their setlist and completely start over and play everything new.

Because this will never happen I will choose 2112 in it's ENTIRETY. I'd like to hear it all before they retire. I could also add Hemi and GUP to that list.

Edited by nobodys hero

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 17 2012, 12:34 PM)

^^ +1 Also add Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Spirit of the Radio, Subdivisions and every other song they play EVERY tour.

With a catalog so vast I wish they would chuck their setlist and completely start over and play everything new.

Because this will never happen I will choose 2112 in it's ENTIRETY. I'd like to hear it all before they retire. I could also add Hemi and GUP to that list.

I agree except for Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions. Tom Sawyer kinda needs to be played for the casual fans so they know a song and Subdivisions is just awesome. 2112 in its entirety would be INSANE I'd literally freak out if they started playing Discovery after temples..

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Mar 18 2012, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 17 2012, 12:34 PM)

I agree except for Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions. Tom Sawyer kinda needs to be played for the casual fans so they know a song and Subdivisions is just awesome. 2112 in its entirety would be INSANE I'd literally freak out if they started playing Discovery after temples..

Maybe... but do casual fans who only know Tom Sawyer really spend $50-75 or more to attend a 3 hour show, five minutes of which they recognize?

I think they could drop it and it would be fine... I don't think attendance would be affected by its exclusion.

They've dropped every other song at least once, I don't get why Tom Sawyer has to be the one thing they hammer into the ground sad.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 16 2012, 04:47 PM)

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

But if Clockwork Angels comes out as good as I think it will be, perhaps it will be Clockwork Angels on the next Tour!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Tthat's really the only full album I'd want to hear. MP made sense, but none of the others really does. Early stuf = good material, but unsinable, post MP = songable but with weak spots, material-wise.

But CA being so epic it is full-album worthy, that would be a dream come true.

1022.gif

Edited by goose

I'd love Power Windows or GUP, but I think those are far enough from the mainstream that they wouldn't consider them. Signals they might be able to squeak by using its anniversary year as an excuse (though with the bulk of this tour likely in 2013, that argument won't hold up).

AFTK would be a fantasyland pick for me, given that, while it's not my favorite, it's the only album where I like all the songs nearly equally.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 16 2012, 01:35 PM)
Permanent Waves is the only one that makes any sense at this point, considering:

1) Two of the four songs most radio stations ever play from Rush anymore are on this in Spirit of the Radio and Freewill. If they're going to use another "Rush play another classic album" to promote a new tour it'll have to be from one that casual fans would recognize.
2) They've already played most of these a lot in recent years so there wouldn't be as much practice needed or much in the way of new lightshow mumbo-jumbo required.
3) Jacob's Ladder would give Geddy's voice a huge rest since so much of it's instrumental. It'd also appease the hard core fans who raged on Alex when he said they were going to play it before, and then didn't.
4) They could "wing" something like Different Strings and arrange it into something that would be possible live, maybe acoustic who knows. It'd give Neil's arms a good rest so they could play Natural Science fast again like on Different Stages.

I mean hey, I'd like to see them play all of Signals, Caress of Steel, or Farewell to Kings too but it's not gonna' happen tongue.gif

goodpost.gif