The Owl reviews every Rush album

The Owl

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Feb 29 2012, 11:56 AM)
Permanent Waves Review

Spirit of the Radio-getting a little commercial here. instrumentals don't slack. alex's guitar tone is still intact. very famous song

freewill-the hits keep on coming. the solo section is pure orgasm for a Rush fan. i'll leave it at that

jacob's ladder-truly a feat of prog genius. no idea how Geddy does it live

entre nous-often overlooked. great lyrical development. the guitar in the bridge is amazing

different strings-kinda ruins the flow of the album. even though it is short, it is subpar to the rest of the album

natural science-successful at making a memorable epic with flow

overall 100/100
different strings can't ruin this collection of impressive songs

Your "reviews" suck.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signals Review

subdivisions-niel's song. the use oh hi-hat and ride and the lyrics make this one

the analog kid-great vibe. top-notch instrumentals

chemistry-synths are on full blast here. only qualm is that there is not so much guitar on display. Alex gets slowly moved out of the center of the sound

digital man-great drums and synths. nice comping on guitar as well

the weapon-kind of repetitive, but a great tune...niel's prowess is on full display. continues the trend of great synths on the album

new world man-delivers some desperately needed bass guitar action to the album. maybe the amount of synths inspired him to make the bass parts really count

losing it-took a while for this one to grow on me. the lyrics paint a chilling picture of loss. the 11/8 parts are amazing

countdown-the lyrics may try to be too grand, but Rush does a good job of capturing the energy of what space flight used to be

overall 100/100

this is my personal favorite Rush album. if you can accept the productions style and the band's favoring of synths over guitar, then it is hard to find a flaw with this Moving Pictures descendant

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Feb 29 2012, 01:42 PM)
Permanent Waves Review

Spirit of the Radio-getting a little commercial here. instrumentals don't slack. alex's guitar tone is still intact. very famous song

freewill-the hits keep on coming. the solo section is pure orgasm for a Rush fan. i'll leave it at that

entre nous-often overlooked. great lyrical development. the guitar in the bridge is amazing

different strings-kinda ruins the flow of the album. even though it is short, it is subpar to the rest of the album

overall 100/100

Your "reviews" suck.

then don't read them

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Feb 29 2012, 02:18 PM)
Permanent Waves Review

overall 100/100

Your "reviews" suck.

then don't read them

Why didn't you just comment after Owl's review rather than jump several albums ahead? That would be the polite thing to do........oh, wait.........

Grace Under Pressure (one of most underrated in the Rush catalog) Review

Distant Early Warning-a popular song from the album, probably because of the catchy organ synths. the chorus gets a little repetitive, but it still has essential Rush energy

Afterimage-this song is arguably better that the first. the sections are varied, but cohesive and melody runs throughout. underrated

red sector a-without considering the lyrics, this song sounds like a piece of pseudo-scifi mumbojumbo. the lyrics tell a tale of horror and desperation. the replay factor can be a little lower on this track compared to the others

the enemy within-the guitar is the focus here, finally. niel's drumming is powerful here too. the songcraft make this track one of the more accessible on the album

the body electric-the weakest track on the album so far. even though the use of synths is good, it comes off as a crutch that the band is leaning on. I want guitar here. a silly, but listenable track

kid gloves-i love the 10/8 verse. the lyrics reflect the attitude of the music very well

red lenses-Geddy sings well here. and the syncopation of the song is classis Rush. overall not a really exciting track though

between the wheels-the best song on this album. alex's guitar solo is among his top 5 ever imho. the song moves with emotional intensity that I wish we could see more from Rush.

overall: 85/100

the last truly classic Rush album

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Feb 29 2012, 05:05 PM)
Permanent Waves Review

overall 100/100

Your "reviews" suck.

then don't read them

Why didn't you just comment after Owl's review rather than jump several albums ahead? That would be the polite thing to do........oh, wait.........

i think everyone should be posting in here. lets get an exciting thread full of many opinions on the albums

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Feb 29 2012, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Feb 29 2012, 05:05 PM)
Permanent Waves Review

overall 100/100

Your "reviews" suck.

then don't read them

i think everyone should be posting in here. lets get an exciting thread full of many opinions on the albums

Sorry, I agree with the previous poster - if you add your 2 cents AFTER The Owl reviews an album, that's cool, but otherwise why are you doing full album reviews several albums ahead in someone else's thread? Honestly, after the first couple of your reviews I stopped reading them because it's just kind of rude. You CAN start your own thread and review all the albums - people would be much more likely to respond well if you did that.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Feb 29 2012, 04:18 PM)
Permanent Waves Review

overall 100/100

Your "reviews" suck.

then don't read them

I don't wink.gif

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Feb 29 2012, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Feb 29 2012, 04:18 PM)
Permanent Waves Review

overall 100/100

Your "reviews" suck.

then don't read them

I don't wink.gif

I just started skipping over them. They're kind of general opinions. Not really in depth. Simple like, "This one is good, people like it". Even owl is a bit brief on some songs, but goes into some of them and rates each one.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 29 2012, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Feb 29 2012, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 28 2012, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 27 2012, 02:32 PM)
I agree with this review the least so far. Lessons and Tears both get 8's?

2112 would get a solid 8.5/10 as I think it's their least impressive epic, but still a ton of awesomeness.

Bangkok and Twilight Zone would probably get 6/10, with Lessons getting a 3/10 and Tears a 3.5/10. Something For Nothing might get a 6/10 as well.

I never understood the love for this album. The title track is great, but the rest are so underwhelming. If they would've had another really strong track anchor the second side (ala Hemispheres with LVS), then it might rate higher as a whole.

Yikes!

I think in general this album is overrated - it's not a top 3 Rush album, but it's still pretty amazing.

And now I've heard 2 people trash Tears. Sure it's a ballad, but it's a really pretty Rush song, and...

...MELLOTRON!!! wub.gif

I agree that 2112 the album is overrated. And Bangkok and SFN are both better than the title track.

that is incorrect.

No it isn't. tongue.gif

Onward

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Rush_A_Farewell_to_Kings.jpg

"A Farewell to Kings"

- Track !: A Farewell to Kings

We descend into the world of prog right off the start with a bit of beautiful classical guitar and orchestral bells.... I love it already, and goes into my favorite opening track on any Rush album... From here, to when the song gets moving, to the lyrics, the solo is not my favorite, but no denying this song is stellar, not perfect song, but damn near.

(9.5/10)

- Track 2: Xanadu

If the previous track led us into the world of progressive rock, this first true progressive mini-epic takes us to the unfathomable depths of it. Xanadu is my favorite rush song, it is a masterpiece....hands down. The extended intro defines that of what is capable in the world of prog, and it dosent let down once the song gets going at all. Fantastic lyrics, amazing playing all around, great solos, and a majestic ending..... auditory bliss.

(10/10)

- Track 3: Closer to the Heart

Here we are, into one of the greatest hits in the Rush catalog, is it as good as all the praise it gets? Yes, yes it is, the song while short reaches amazing subtle beauty, to great and emotional hights. The solo is among Alex's bests, and at it's length dosen't overstay any kind of welcome....The ending could have been better, not the biggest fan of fadeouts, and an ending that made some kind of statement would have been better, but still a fabulous song.

(9/10)

- Track 4: Cinderella Man

Starting side 2 up we get our first song, one based that off the film Mr. Deeds goes to town...not bad lyrics but not the best. This song is great, but a little more generic that what we've been listening too. There is some great acoustic work by Alex in this track. One grievance is that the solo sections seems a bit all over the place, and fells disjointed from the rest of the song...a good track, but quite a noticeable drop in quality from side 1

(7.5/10)

- Track 5: Madrigal

Rush is very hit or miss on their ballads, I like the subtlety in the track the mellowness is nice, and the lyrics are good (albiet a bit pretentious, lol). The issue I have with madrigal is that while as a standalone track it is quite nice, a ballad feels a bit forced in,(as would be the case with any ballad in general, not picking on Madrigal here) all the previous tracks have had a mix of acoustics, synth, and electric guitars. As well as the upcoming track. I'm not gonna say it is stylistically out of place on the album, it's not, but It feels like a cog in the album.

(7.5/10)

- Track 6: Cygnus X-1 Book 1: The Voyage

Not a good start, do not like the echoing narration at the beginning, but from there my issues mostly abade. The beginning gets off a bit slow and goes on a bit long, but is made up for by the guitar pattern at the beginning, and once the song gets going it reaches some pretty awesome points. Once the singing begins we do get at last get a clue to the vocal ability demonstated by Geddy, and he carries some great emotion with his voice when he comes in. Great solo around the 7 minute mark, and a fabulous last hard driving final 2 and a half minutes end the album really strong.. This song would have been much, much better if the first say 5 minutes were shortened by around a minute or so (and take out the narration at the beginning), but other than that pretty good way to close out the album, and build up for the lead-in to the completion of this suite on the next album.

(8.5/10)

-------------------------------------------------Overall Review/Final Thoughts---------------------------------------

I love "A Farewell to Kings" and while not the best album, I do consider this as my favorite album... I touched on but did not elaborate too much on in my song reviews about the full emersion into Prog rock with this album.... Most noticeably with instrument selection and variety, the addition of Moogs, Classical guitar, orchestral and tubular bells, temple blocks....etc make this not only a more deep and diverse album that Rush has released up until that point, but a more enjoyable listen that excels and showcases the talent of the musicians playing them.

Side 1 of this album is as close to flawless as any Rush album can achieve, aside from a few trivial points, side 1 of this album is almost perfect, and why I name this album as my favorite. Side 2 however is where the album loses points. I find none of the side 2 tracks bad, not in the slightest, but they far from reach the potential that was promised by the first half of the album.

The album while clear it has some rocky moments, and less consistant than some previous releases or releases to come, is still one of the Band's best albums overall, and a must own. It is a highpoint of a band who's style is ever-changing, and an album you can point to as not only that one of Rush's best, but one of Prog's best as well.

Overall Album Score: 93/100

Edited by The Owl

A Farewell to Kings is a brilliant album and one of the first Rush albums I picked up which made me go buy even more. Incredible through and through even though Madrigal slows it down a little bit IMO. Still great review! 2.gif trink38.gif

Madrigal does slow things down a bit, but that's precisely why I appreciate it. The song gives listeners a chance to catch their breath before the final epic.

Thanks for doing these reviews, Owl. I tend to think Farewell to Kings is Rush's most underrated album. Now, I know everyone loves it. But it at times seems to get overshadowed by what came before and after it. And I oftentimes think Farewell is as good as Hemispheres, and certainly better than 2112. Just my two cents...

We're not too far off on this album. The first 3 songs I'd give a perfect 10 out of 10, however. Actually, the title tracks deserves more like 12/10 and Xanadu something like 15/10, but we're just talking about levels of perfection at this point.

I'm about on par with you on the next two songs. I'd maybe bump them up to an 8 or so, but I would definitely rate Cygnus X-1 a tad lower than you, maybe a 7 or so. The narration at the beginning and the screeching at the very end are enough, unfortunately, to deter me from listening to the song very often, but when I do, I seriously enjoy the rest of the song. If not for those two parts, I'd probably give it a 9 or higher.

Side one is absolute perfection for me, as is CTTH. The next 3 tracks drop off a tad, but still a fantastic album of prime period Rush! yes.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by rushgoober

I pretty much agree with every part of your review, though I'd drop Xanadu slightly to a 9/10 (I'm not a fan of the way it just repeats itself with little variation -- same with Camera Eye, but as a whole it's a great song). I might drop CTTH and Madrigal a point each as well. I also agree with the intro of Cygnus being too long.

A Farewell To Kings is an album that many RUSH fans seem to describe as RUSH approaching its pinnacle (that apex being Hemispheres). To me, it is RUSH entering the era in which its most ardent critics' barbs are most justified. AFTK features Geddy at his most unlistenable moments (the Cygnus wails) and features some of Neil's most laughably sophomoric lyrics (the title track).

Yet the album contains the radio standard gem "Closer to the Heart" and the musically brilliant hockey anthem "Xanadu". In fact it is the music of this album that saves it from disaster and makes it great. The complexity and utter musicianship shines through in spite of Geddy's decision to take a 78rpm approach to vocals and Neil's failed attempt to come across as a serious philosopher/poet-laureate.

Thank goodness this phase only lasted two albums.

I agree that side 1 is clearly the superior side (much like Fly By Night and 2112). The first 3 songs are definitely all 10s. CM I'd give a 9 with Cygnus getting an 8 and Madrigal a 7. As an overall package, I rank the two previous albums over it.

QUOTE (goose @ Mar 3 2012, 10:36 PM)
..To me, it is RUSH entering the era in which its most ardent critics' barbs are most justified.  AFTK... features some of Neil's most laughably sophomoric lyrics (the title track). 

...Neil's failed attempt to come across as a serious philosopher/poet-laureate.

Thank goodness this phase only lasted two albums.

Dude, you seriously need to put the crack pipe down and call your sponsor. wink.gif