Any arguments here?

clem

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil is not the Best, sorry wink.gif

He is not even the Best in that top 10, IMO

I think I may be the only person on the planet who thinks this, but I just love listening to the drums of Breaking Benjamin's Chad Szeliga. I know it's nu metal and all and he's only been with them for two albums, but he seems a lot more talented than some of the honorable mentions.

I really liked seeing Ian Paice of Purple and Dave Lombardo of Slayer way up on this list. I think both guys are really, really good and usually are very underrated in these type of things. I'm not even a huge Slayer fan, but I've seen 'em live twice and was blown away by Lombardo. I am a HUGE Purple fan and have been since "Hush" came out waaaaaay back in the day. Props to The Mule babeeeee!!

As for best/greatest ever, it's all a matter of opinion and is thus subjective. Neil is usually considered top 5 to top 10 by most everyone which means he's one of the greatest ever. Maybe Bonzo is your number one, maybe Neil, maybe Bruford, maybe Moonie, maybe someone else. Like I said, subjective.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Yokkov @ Feb 11 2012, 11:16 PM)
Ummmmmmmmmm yeah...
My humble opinion is that John Bonham deserves to be number one waaaay more than Neil Peart.

Neil is more talented. I can almost prove that as fact. That said, Bonham is definitely extremely influential.

However, Gavin and Marco Minneman and Danny Carrey and many others especially in the jazz-rock scene can mop the floor with Neil.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 12 2012, 01:48 AM)
Ummmmmmmmmm yeah...
My humble opinion is that John Bonham deserves to be number one waaaay more than Neil Peart.

Neil is more talented. I can almost prove that as fact. That said, Bonham is definitely extremely influential.

However, Gavin and Marco Minneman and Danny Carrey and many others especially in the jazz-rock scene can mop the floor with Neil.

I'm a big Tool fan, in fact, probably my second fave band to Rush, but really? Danny Carey can mop the floor with Neil? Nooo way. Neil IS God. That's why his lyrics bash religion. He doesn't like people worshiping a false idol.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Feb 11 2012, 11:31 PM)
I think I may be the only person on the planet who thinks this, but I just love listening to the drums of Breaking Benjamin's Chad Szeliga. I know it's nu metal and all and he's only been with them for two albums, but he seems a lot more talented than some of the honorable mentions.

he's quicker than neil but neil has more power and rhythm.

I hope those lists arent in order. Looks more like a popularity contest. I don't know if Neil is the greatest drummer ever, but he's my favorite rock drummer. The rest of the top 10 or 20, a few of those guys are way too high on that list. Stewart Copeland at 18th? No way all of the 17 above him are more skilled than he is, that is if that list is indeed in order. Edited by Bastille Dave

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 12 2012, 01:55 AM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Feb 11 2012, 11:31 PM)

he's quicker than neil but neil has more power and rhythm.

Lol, I wasn't trying to say he's the best- just would've liked to see him on the list somewhere.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 01:35 AM)
Wow, Rush finally rightly tops a poll, and people disagree!

Neil is the best rock drummer ever. I didn't even need to look much beyond that. I was happy. yes.gif trink39.gif

the internet requires a certain percentage of us to disagree at all times.

These lists are always personal preference. Neil is not the most talented drummer on Earth. There are many guys that can spin circles around him.

But if we're talking about the total package, well Neil also writes lyrics, so to me that puts him over the top. But just on technical ability no he shouldn't be at the top.

Carter Beuford from Dave Matthews should be higher. Goes bezerk at 1:00

And where is Thomas Pridgen???? Old Mars Volta drummer? The kid is just a phenom. Neil has never played like this kid. Im pretty certain Neil would admit that, and Neil is a fan of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72yH6HPhidM

Edited by trenken

Yeah I have problems, but not with the #1 Spot! Just about all the others! Bill Bruford, Stewart Copeland, John Bonham, Carl Palmer, Phil Collins should all be higher in ranking.

Phil Collins# 34, Come on he should be in the top 10 along with Mike Portnoy and Steve Smith. Ringo Star should be somewhere in the 60's.

1. Neil Peart

2. Bill Bruford

3. Phil Collins

4. John Bonham

5. Mike Portnoy

6. Carl Palmer

7. Terry Bozzio

8. Stewart Copeland

9. Steve Smith

10. Mark Zonder

That list makes more sense to me!

Edited by losingit2k

No arguments here about Neil. I don't get why Bonham is number 2. He was good, but he isn't that good. The only thing that made him so big as a drummer was that he came up with the heel-to-toe method of kicking the bass drum which allowed him to do some quick triplets that nobody else could do with ease at the time (double bass pedals weren't mainstream yet). Still, he wasn't that great overall.

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Feb 12 2012, 01:54 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 12 2012, 01:48 AM)
Ummmmmmmmmm yeah...

I'm a big Tool fan, in fact, probably my second fave band to Rush, but really? Danny Carey can mop the floor with Neil? Nooo way. Neil IS God. That's why his lyrics bash religion. He doesn't like people worshiping a false idol.

Sorry dude, Danny has better chops and tool uses more complex time signatures and Danny also has great technique. Listen to his subtle drumming during The Patient, the insane ball busting solo at the end of the Grudge, and he also plays in a jazz rock band. Also, his drumming in Lateralus is insane. Try counting the time during Jambi. Guitar is in 9/8 and bass in 6/8 and Danny manages to drum for both. Neil would have a bit of trouble with that man.

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Feb 12 2012, 01:54 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Feb 12 2012, 01:48 AM)
Ummmmmmmmmm yeah...

if neil says it or writes about well than it must be true right?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2012, 01:35 AM)
Wow, Rush finally rightly tops a poll, and people disagree!

Neil is the best rock drummer ever.  I didn't even need to look much beyond that.  I was happy. yes.gif trink39.gif

AMEN Brother! trink39.gif

Forever I thought it was common knowledge that Neil Peart, when you look at his volume of work and his technical ability, is a no argument, best drummer ever. And I have heard people who aren't RUSH fans say this like it's fact. Admittedly, I don't know all the drummers on the list AND I know that alot of this just comes down to opinion, but it kills me when people on the RUSH FAN forum are so quick to disagree on even something like this. But I get it, we don't all have to agree or think that RUSH is the best in every possible category. It's just funny to me. Not haha funny but fing.gif funny.

But another funny fing.gif thing is, I am sure over at the Led Zeppelin forum there is someone who puts up a list with Bonham being the best and a bunch of Zeppelin fans weigh in, "Well not even close....everyone knows even though RUSH is terrible, Neil Peart is the best ever". It's a funny fing.gif forum world we live in. confused13.gif wacko.gif