Which album most says 'Rush' to you?

Mika

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 4 2012, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Feb 4 2012, 03:39 PM)
Good question..depends on the decade.

70's--2112 or Hemispheres
80's--MP or PRW
90's--RTB or CP
2000's--S&A or VT

Out of all those, I'd pick either 2112 of MP...
with MP over 2112..but not by much.

goodpost.gif

Well, for the 2000s, it would definitely have to be VT or S&A tongue.gif

Yep,exactly..good point.What was I thinking? huh.gif

wacko.gif doh.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 4 2012, 03:03 PM)

80's--MP or PRW
90's--RTB or CP
2000's--S&A or VT

goodpost.gif

I'd choose Feedback...

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Feb 4 2012, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Feb 4 2012, 03:03 PM)

80's--MP or PRW
90's--RTB or CP
2000's--S&A or VT

goodpost.gif

I'd choose Feedback...

Yeah yeah... laugh.gif

Permanent Waves. Although Hemispheres and Moving Pictures (on either side temporally) come a very close second.

Why? That chorused distortion in Big Al's guitar. Ged's voice, in whatever incarnation, is a given in the sound of Rush. Similarly with Our Man Neil: big, capable, accomplished percussion. But, to me, Al's guitar on Permanent Waves 'sounds like the cover looks'. By that, I mean the grey colour and the big crashing-wave on the album-cover is almost synasthetic (as in: 'sounds as colours', 'words as tastes'. See the Wikipedia article if you want more on this).

To me, that album sounds like it looks: grey, crunchy, spacey chorused-distortion - sensational - I will never be able to get too much of that sound.

Notably, Alex said in an interview some years ago that 'it took a long time to get that out of my system'. When I read that, I thought 'What? Are you nuts?'...

At the risk of sounding cliched, I'm going with Moving Pictures as well. I grew up in the 80's, and while I knew all of Rush's radio-friendly hits of the 70's (Working Man, Fly By Night, Closer To The Heart, The Spirit of Radio, etc.), I was unaware of their epics. Moving Pictures, on the other hand, is inseparable from my youth in the 80's. It was also the first material where I SAW what Rush looked like, on MTV. I liked what I saw, and should have known it would go somewhere someday wink.gif The album had a good taste of what was to come in the synth period - my favorite era, but not my first strong impression of Rush.

The 90's-present albums do not say Rush as strongly to me, because there is SO much influence from the music scene around them, and because they've changed a lot since 1981. This isn't a bad thing - I sure wouldn't want nineteen albums of the same sound/style - but when I think of the "Rush sound", I fall back on my first strong impression.

I'd say 2112 best represents what Rush is about lyrically and musically in their heyday of the 70's.

I see alot of people here choosing the first album they heard by Rush or their favorite and I think they are kinda missing the point of the thread. 2112 isnt my favorite and it wasnt the first Rush album I ever heard, but I think most represents what Rush is about.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Feb 4 2012, 10:04 PM)
I'd say 2112 best represents what Rush is about lyrically and musically in their heyday of the 70's.

I see alot of people here choosing the first album they heard by Rush or their favorite and I think they are kinda missing the point of the thread. 2112 isnt my favorite and it wasnt the first Rush album I ever heard, but I think most represents what Rush is about.

I chose MP, and that's not my fave album either (but it's close). My fave is Signals, but that would never be one I'd give to a potential new fan first. First I'd want to give them their classic sound, an album that really typifies Rush, and then I'd give them something where they branched out a bit...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2012, 12:11 AM)

I chose MP, and that's not my fave album either (but it's close). My fave is Signals, but that would never be one I'd give to a potential new fan first. First I'd want to give them their classic sound, an album that really typifies Rush, and then I'd give them something where they branched out a bit...

oh, well I didnt know it was which album best represents Rush to intruduce to a new fan. Sorry My bad. I couldda sworn we just had a thread about this a couple weeks ago.

If that's the case, then I'd probably go with Moving Pictures as well.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Feb 4 2012, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2012, 12:11 AM)

oh, well I didnt know it was which album best represents Rush to intruduce to a new fan. Sorry My bad. I couldda sworn we just had a thread about this a couple weeks ago.

If that's the case, then I'd probably go with Moving Pictures as well.

sorry, i didn't mean to imply that was the intention of the thread, as it wasn't, but when i think of an album that most says RUSH to me, i think of what i would give someone that would typify the rush sound. that for me would be MP, and NOT my fave album. 2112 is also another good choice, although i like MP better since it's more transitional and speaks more to the old school rush sound and a newer sound. 2112 is them in their prog prime... yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 5 2012, 01:04 AM)
Hemispheres, imo, is the quintessential sound of Rush,

for once we agree...

Hemispheres.

It's the first Rush album I sat down and actually listened to.

It's really interesting to hear what everyone has to say about the 'Rushiest' album! I'm surprised that the synth-era albums are not mentioned more - I kinda thought that would be a main Rush sound. Maybe that's just the era I was most exposed to by happenstance. Circumstances, eh?

I'm happy that the 'Rush sound' is interpreted differently by everyone. I think that says something about a band, being able to connect differently with so many people. Well, that's getting a little deeper now than I intended....

Now, how about physical style? What's the band 'look' you most connect Rush to? wink.gif Flowing kimonos? Jeans 'n' tees? Eighties neon and pastel suits?

A little embarrassingly to say, for me it's the kimonos. ph34r.gif

Permanent Waves

TSoR was my first taste of Rush back when I was a youngster. That is the sound I have always associated with Rush and most likely why I am so attracted to the early years. 2.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Feb 5 2012, 07:03 AM)
It's really interesting to hear what everyone has to say about the 'Rushiest' album! I'm surprised that the synth-era albums are not mentioned more - I kinda thought that would be a main Rush sound. Maybe that's just the era I was most exposed to by happenstance. Circumstances, eh?

I'm happy that the 'Rush sound' is interpreted differently by everyone. I think that says something about a band, being able to connect differently with so many people. Well, that's getting a little deeper now than I intended....

Now, how about physical style? What's the band 'look' you most connect Rush to? wink.gif Flowing kimonos? Jeans 'n' tees? Eighties neon and pastel suits?

For physical appearance, I'd say their current look.

But that's probably because I'm 15 and that's the only look I've ever seen. laugh.gif

Hemispheres, Waves and Pictures are to me the essential and essence of Rush.

That run of 3 albums is just perfection and no doubt the standard of Rush's soundscape and musical prowess.

Edited by Todem

Now, how about physical style? What's the band 'look' you most connect Rush to?  wink.gif Flowing kimonos? Jeans 'n' tees? Eighties neon and pastel suits?

A little embarrassingly to say, for me it's the kimonos.  ph34r.gif

To me, the Rush look has got to be how they looked on the A Show of Hands dvd. That was the first Rush material I owned and I've probably seen it over 100 times.

Either that or their look on the Exit Stage Left dvd with Lifeson in his red jacket and Lee with his red tie. And Peart with his tucked-in soccer dad polo laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Feb 5 2012, 01:03 PM)

Kimonos

Jeans 'n' tees. I pay more attention to them now than I did in the past, so when I think of them, I think of that look. Geddy also had cool tees going way back, and they look so good in jeans, it's tough not to linger on those pics blush4.gif