VH - The Trouble with Never and Blood and Fire

Rod in Toronto

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/double%20s%20pro/David_Lee_Roth_is_Old1-1-1.jpg

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 1 2012, 10:51 AM)
Still, those who think his voice is just unlistenable and yet claim to have always liked Roth are full of bologna in my mind.

Color me full.

And comparing the change in his voice to Geddy's is absurd. Ged became a better singer when he lost his scream. Not Dave.

Still cool y'all are diggin' it though. You can have my copy...

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 2 2012, 12:47 AM)
Still, those who think his voice is just unlistenable and yet claim to have always liked Roth are full of bologna in my mind.

Color me full.

And comparing the change in his voice to Geddy's is absurd. Ged became a better singer when he lost his scream. Not Dave.

"Better" is up to the listener in both examples for sure. I agree on Lee, but I see a score of Rush fans who complain about how Geddy sings now versus how he used to sing and MISS that shriek of his. (Personally I think the earliest Rush albums are largely garbage). That's the comparison I'm making, that both receive their criticism for having lost that vocal edge. But then again, who sings exactly the same nearly or over 40 years later too? Not very many singers. Elton John? Paul Stanley? Ozzy? Paul McCartney? Robert Plant? Feckin' Roger Daltry (God help us all!), Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger?

I listen to the new VH album and it sounds like Roth. Pretty simple. I listen to The Who these days and I barely recognize Daltry.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 2 2012, 01:47 AM)

Color me full.

Its a mish mosh of weak unreleased material. This stuff is not good compared to any other Roth or Sammy albums. David Lee Roth has lost it in my opinion, and this album is nothing more then a cash grab. Its borderline embarrassment.

Presto, you are so in the tank for this crap, its nauseating.

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 2 2012, 08:31 AM)

I listen to the new VH album and it sounds like Roth. Pretty simple. I listen to The Who these days and I barely recognize Daltry.

Really? What studio Daltry sounds like crap? The Wire And Glass album was a few years back and he sounded fine. You are comparing DLR studio to Roger Daltry live? Do you really think David Lee Roth isn't going to sound like horse shit on this tour? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 2 2012, 07:42 AM)

Color me full.

Its a mish mosh of weak unreleased material. This stuff is not good compared to any other Roth or Sammy albums. David Lee Roth has lost it in my opinion, and this album is nothing more then a cash grab. Its borderline embarrassment.

Come on, Tick...give us the right to like it, will ya? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 2 2012, 07:49 AM)

I listen to the new VH album and it sounds like Roth.  Pretty simple.  I listen to The Who these days and I barely recognize Daltry.

Really? What studio Daltry sounds like crap? The Wire And Glass album was a few years back and he sounded fine. You are comparing DLR studio to Roger Daltry live? Do you really think David Lee Roth isn't going to sound like horse shit on this tour? atickhum.gif

Roth sounded better on the 2007/2008 tour than he did LIVE between 78 and 85.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Feb 2 2012, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 2 2012, 07:42 AM)

Color me full.

Come on, Tick...give us the right to like it, will ya? tongue.gif

By all means like it. Give me the right to state my opinion on it. Ok? atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 2 2012, 07:49 AM)

I listen to the new VH album and it sounds like Roth.  Pretty simple.  I listen to The Who these days and I barely recognize Daltry.

Yeah, I meant Daltry live, really.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying DLR's voice on the new one and aside from the occasional strain going for the upper register stuff, I find his singing to be much better than in '96 when he did his last recordings with VH.

I'll be honest, alot of the music is pretty good...but I'm personally not impressed with DLR's voice.

I know, I know...he's older. I'm not saying anything about that...but I'm just being honest...the vocals are a little tough to handle in spots.

I know people will shit on Chickenfoot because they are NOT Van Halen, but Hagar's voice on III still sounds spot on great.

Again...all just my opinion.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 2 2012, 02:26 PM)
I'll be honest, alot of the music is pretty good...but I'm personally not impressed with DLR's voice.

I know, I know...he's older. I'm not saying anything about that...but I'm just being honest...the vocals are a little tough to handle in spots.

I know people will shit on Chickenfoot because they are NOT Van Halen, but Hagar's voice on III still sounds spot on great.

Again...all just my opinion.

I agree but Dave never was a Great singer. Sammy has always been a very good singer. Dave is the voice of VH and his voice changes the music for the better, imo

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 1 2012, 09:30 AM)
I'm not impressed with a single thing I have heard thus far. schla03.gif

Would you prefer that they just rewrote the first album all over again like um, Dream Theater did ? icon_really_happy_guy.gif ( I kill me )

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 1 2012, 05:54 PM)
http://www.vhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/VanHalenAndaz620.jpg

Now Wolfie can see this everyday, on his way to the In and Out Burger.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 2 2012, 03:52 PM)

Would you prefer that they just rewrote the first album all over again like um, Dream Theater did ? icon_really_happy_guy.gif ( I kill me )

They did. Only with no sucess. Cue Uncle Frosty.... That is embarrassing.

or whatever its called. atickhum.gif

I love the new Dream Theater album. This Van Halen album is doing nothing for me. Sorry.

I'm your Uncle Frosty, stop me when I'm passing by... laugh.gif

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 2 2012, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Feb 1 2012, 05:54 PM)
http://www.vhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/VanHalenAndaz620.jpg

Now Wolfie can see this everyday, on his way to the In and Out Burger.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Feb 2 2012, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 2 2012, 03:52 PM)

They did. Only with no sucess. Cue Uncle Frosty.... That is embarrassing.

or whatever its called. atickhum.gif

I love the new Dream Theater album. This Van Halen album is doing nothing for me. Sorry.

I'm your Uncle Frosty, stop me when I'm passing by... laugh.gif

laugh.gif