jaws.

tel

((Jaws theme music, playing in background))

In related news today, there was a report

from the San Diego area beach town of Imperial Beach,

of a great white shark sighting this morning.

IB is approx. 40 miles from my location.

The shark was reportedly 16-18 ft., and seen for approx.

20-25 seconds , before it went back under the water.

GW sightings are fairly rare for so. Cal.

thought I'd pass this news on.

(( Jaws theme music ends abruptly.....))

ohmy.gif unsure.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 25 2012, 04:50 PM)
"That's real fine expensive gear you got there Mister Hooper. Don't know what that bastard shark will do with it. Might eat it I suppose, seen one eat a rockin chair one time."

That line makes me laugh every time.

It's he way Shaw delivers the lines too...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 25 2012, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 25 2012, 04:50 PM)
"That's real fine expensive gear you got there Mister Hooper.  Don't know what that bastard shark will do with it.  Might eat it I suppose, seen one eat a rockin chair one time."

That line makes me laugh every time.

It's he way Shaw delivers the lines too...

biggrin.gif

Exactly. His delivery makes the whole thing work.

One of the greatest movies of the 70's. I seen it on the big screen when I was 10. Scared the hell out of me. Now that I'm older I can appreciate a little different. Example " Here's to swimming with bowed legged women " rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Capt starman @ Jan 25 2012, 06:49 PM)
One of the greatest movies of the 70's. I seen it on the big screen when I was 10. Scared the hell out of me. Now that I'm older I can appreciate a little different. Example " Here's to swimming with bowed legged women " rofl3.gif

yes.gif

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies

Farewell and adieu you ladies of Spain....

I'm still bitter that Shaw wasn't even nominated for an award.

I found an interesting bit of trivia....

In Latin, Quint means fifth or five -- consequentially, he eventually becomes the great shark's fifth and final human victim, after: (1) Chrissie Watkins, (2) Alex Kintner, (3) Ben Gardner, (4) Michael's sailing teacher - the guy in the pond, and (5) Quint.]

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 24 2012, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 24 2012, 04:17 AM)
The interesting thing from my point of view is Shaw is originally from a town about 8 miles away from me and they have a pub named after him there, called, appropriately enough, the Robert Shaw.

Really, treeduck? Oh, I must come visit there next time I'm lucky enough to make it across the Pond.

Yeah the town is called Westhoughton.

hey treeduck,i live in swinton,just up the road from your goodself smile.gif

The robert shaw is a wetherspoons pub isnt it? not my kind of establishment,i prefer a proper darts and skittles type alehouse.

Do you ever get in the moses gate at farnworth? they have some good tributes on including rush tribute Bravado. yes.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 25 2012, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 25 2012, 04:20 AM)
I read the book and I'm sure glad they left out the subplot of Hooper and Mrs. Brody's affair.

Agree 100%. In the book, Hooper was quite a little snot, and the shark got him, too!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

"The great fish moved silently through the water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail..."

Great opening line.

Agreed with the Hooper subplot. I remember skimming furiously to get past it.

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 26 2012, 07:08 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 24 2012, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 24 2012, 04:17 AM)
The interesting thing from my point of view is Shaw is originally from a town about 8 miles away from me and they have a pub named after him there, called, appropriately enough, the Robert Shaw.

Really, treeduck? Oh, I must come visit there next time I'm lucky enough to make it across the Pond.

Yeah the town is called Westhoughton.

hey treeduck,i live in swinton,just up the road from your goodself smile.gif

The robert shaw is a wetherspoons pub isnt it? not my kind of establishment,i prefer a proper darts and skittles type alehouse.

Do you ever get in the moses gate at farnworth? they have some good tributes on including rush tribute Bravado. yes.gif

No I've not been to Farnworth for ages.

I've been through Swinton about a million times, always through and never to though... biggrin.gif

I've not been to the Robert Shaw either. I looked it up it's got some bad reviews. Looks like Wetherspoons ruined it, or maybe it was always like that. Doesn't sound like a Robert Shaw kind of place at all, especially not a Quint place... wacko.gif

Loved it. Would not call it the best ever, but loved the movie.

Interesting fact about the music. John Williams wrote the famous Jaws score, which may be one of the most recognizable scores ever written. Early on, Williams invited Spielberg to his house and played it for him on his grand piano. Spielberg did not like it at first. John Williams was convinced that this was the score for the film and kept persisting that he give it a chance. The rest is history. wink.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 27 2012, 04:55 PM)

Interesting fact about the music. John Williams wrote the famous Jaws score, which may be one of the most recognizable scores ever written. Early on, Williams invited Spielberg to his house and played it for him on his grand piano. Spielberg did not like it at first. John Williams was convinced that this was the score for the film and kept persisting that he give it a chance. The rest is history. wink.gif

Spielberg must have grown to like the music a lot, as it made a very cool cameo in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind...... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 27 2012, 11:22 PM)

Spielberg must have grown to like the music a lot, as it made a very cool cameo in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind...... tongue.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Great score! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 27 2012, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 27 2012, 11:22 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Great score! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

yes.gif

I love all of it but the music during the chase at sea has always felt so expansive and exciting...well, like being on the sea.

See?

Shark Chase

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 27 2012, 06:22 PM)

really?what scene? huh.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 29 2012, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jan 27 2012, 06:22 PM)

really?what scene? huh.gif

When the alien mother ship landed and made first contact via tonal/musical language. The scientists' computer took over the "conversation" with the ship, and after the huge flurry of music, the tones slowed down to a near stop.

The ship made a few last notes - dead on the opening notes from Jaws - and then the platform opened and the lost humans came out.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Jaws was great for it's time and has held up as a terrific movie that to this day still delivers what it set out to but I disagree that it's the greatest movie of all time.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 29 2012, 08:56 PM)
Jaws was great for it's time and has held up as a terrific movie that to this day still delivers what it set out to but I disagree that it's the greatest movie of all time.

But jack,the shark gets shot at!....with a gun! 653.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 30 2012, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 29 2012, 08:56 PM)

But jack,the shark gets shot at!....with a gun! 653.gif

There are gunfights and war scenes in Heaven's Gate but they don't make it a good movie.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 29 2012, 09:56 PM)

Not even top 10.

Good novel, great movie.

I remember being in the cinema, I was 9 in 1975... scared to death by then by sharks, marvelous creatures anyway...

There is a very long article online, from the documentary off the 25th anniversary DVD, that is a great reading!

Spielberg was only 28 when he made the movie... wow.

• Like 1

I've liked "Jaws", and "Jaws II". I classify both of them as classic movies. I would think there are a lot of people, who are afraid to go into the water because of those movies, and not because of them not able to swim. Even if they can go into the shallow end.

What's great about that Indianapolis scene was that Robert Shaw rewrote that whole speech himself, and the film's screenwriters agreed that Shaw's version was perfect. Indeed, it's many people's favorite scene in the movie. Shaw's delivery of the speech is flawless.

I read that he was drunk the first time he attempted the speech, then he re-do it some hours later, perfectly ;)

http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/article/robert-shaw-as-jaws-quint-8-facts

Edited by Alexmai
  • Like 1