Tai Shan and High Water

micgtr71

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Mission this album drops off a cliff for me. Dont like TTP, or the other 2. My stepdad is a big fan of Tai Shan. Im not sure Ill ever like it. And to me High Water just isnt a great closer, not on the level of Between the Wheels, Mystic Rhythm or Available Light.

You know, HYF is one of my favorite albums! I must admit that Second Nature, High Water and Thai Shan took me a while to get in to, only because they were some of the weaker songs on the CD compared to Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Open Secret, Prime Mover, Lock and Key, Turn The Page and Mission. However, after listening to some of the albums that have come after, these songs are gems! Great production, great compositions and the lyrics are all that bad! Much, Much better than Superconductor, Dog Years or Virtuality!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jan 2 2012, 09:27 AM)
After reading all these posts i have made the incredible discovery that we don't all enjoy the same Rush songs and some are enjoyed more than others by different people..........that's amazing!

It's wonderful. I'm so glad that nothing is truly universally loved or hated. I mean, certain things definitely trend a particular way...but nothing wrong with disliking something typically enjoyed or enjoying something largely dismissed; so long as you're earnest about it. I hate it when people like something ODD for the sole reason of standing out against the crowd. Like it or don't like it for the right reasons.

QUOTE (Astromancer @ Jan 4 2012, 10:33 AM)
Tai Shan is pretty. It makes me feel nice.

FTW smile.gif

I like Tai Shan and High Water. As much as other songs on the album? Probably not, but they're still good - love Geddy's voice and Alex's guitar bit at the end of Tai Shan, and High Water does for the album what a fade out does for the end of a song...sort of eases you out of the album, if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, albums that end with a big punch are cool too; they both have their place.

My boyfriend likes Tai Shan too...can't remember what the word was he used to describe it (relaxing)? cool.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 4 2012, 07:29 PM)
My boyfriend likes Tai Shan too...can't remember what the word was he used to describe it (relaxing)? cool.gif

Finally a use for Tai Shan...relief from constipation.

TS - I agree. Like it a lot

HW - Weakest song on the album (IMO). Don't really care for it.

On a side note, my reaction to the album is a little like the original poster. It too takes me back to the fall of 1987 when I was 21 and in college. Those were some of the best days of my life (to paraphrase Bryan Adams in "Summer of 69").

Interestingly, it is HYF and Def Leopard that got me into Rush.

That statement alone must be generating a few comment like "Yeah, if I had to listen to Def Leopard I would want to run right out and get HYF and become a Rush fan". Not exactly. Back in those days Def Leopard was my favorite group by far. I still like them for their first 3 albums and have seen them twice in recent years (2011 and 2009). Both were real good shows (2011 with Heart who also rocked and 2009 with Poison who likewise rocked).

What happened was this. In the fall of 1987 Def Leopard was out on tour supporting Hysteria (yuck - not big on it even back then). I was seeing them with Tesla at the Rochester (NY) War Memorial. While waiting for the show they were, naturally, playing the usual stuff over the PA system. Now I have to say, by way of background, that I liked Rush but did not own any of their albums at this point. Also, the only good radio station in town (96.5 WCMF - is it still good??) played a lot of Rush and had 3 songs from HYF in regular rotation so I could at least identify the big 3 off HYF.

All of a sudden Force 10 starts playing on the system. I was like "yeah, good song, I would rather hear Time Stand Still however." After it went off, on comes TSS. I remember the crowd gave out a big roar of approval. After that went off some other song came on and I was like "don't know the song at all but its real good". Then some other song came on and I was like "Dam, I don't know who this is but its really good. Sort of sounds like the group from the last song." Then another song came on and I was like "Dam this is another really good song. Sort of sounds like the group from the last couple of songs which, now that I think about it, sounds like the group the did Force 10 and TSS. Is this all Rush?? If so, man they really rock!! Is this all from their new album? If so I should hear Lock and Key at some point" Right on cue on came Lock and Key. At that point I was hooked and made up my mind to get HYF. Bought it and Power Windows the next day.

By the way, if you are wondering if I was cool10.gif the answer is no. trink38.gif yes (only 1 or 2) but cool10.gif no.

Don't know who made the decision to play all of HYF over the PA system that night. Def Leopard, the venue, the promoter or none of the above. I chose to give credit to Def Leopard and thats why I say it was Def leopard that helped get me into Rush.

By the way, 2 last things. They were not playing other albums in their entirety that night. And both Leopard and Tesla put on good shows that night.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 4 2012, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 4 2012, 07:29 PM)

Finally a use for Tai Shan...relief from constipation.

I don't know if he meant it in that sense, but knowing my boyfriend...hmm blush4.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 4 2012, 08:29 PM)
I like Tai Shan and High Water. As much as other songs on the album? Probably not, but they're still good - love Geddy's voice and Alex's guitar bit at the end of Tai Shan, and High Water does for the album what a fade out does for the end of a song...sort of eases you out of the album, if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, albums that end with a big punch are cool too; they both have their place.

I like the way you say that about the end of the record. I think that is what it does for me as well.

Tai Shan -- interesting but nothing special.

High Water -- pretty good, kind of a generic track but better than Tai Shan. I dont hate it, but I rarely listen to it.

BTW, I love King's X as well

1022.gif LOOOOVEEE them! Ear Candy is awesome. So is Gretchen.

HYF does indeed contain two of their absolute worst songs - but 'High Water' isn't one of them

besides 'Tai Shan' (which itself is an embarrassment - a 'forced' song, trying way too hard to marry Neil's junior high school-style travel writing with cod ethnic arrangements), there's:

"Second Nature"

^ good lord... the keyboard parts here alone are just too syrupy-sweet to be taken seriously - that the lyrics support them with a utopian humanitarianism that's so laughable it's scary makes 'Second Nature' the prime example of what a 'bad' Rush song sounds like