PoW vs CP

Gompers

Which do you prefer?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Power Windows
    • Counterparts

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 1 2011, 03:29 PM)
Counterparts has some fantastic songs and is a great record. That being said, PoW is a phenomenal record that just gets better as it plays. One of the last albums that was great throughout. Not one dud on it.

You mean, last? I an't imagine HYF NOT having at least 3 duds on it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 1 2011, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Dec 1 2011, 01:13 PM)
Power Windows wins because "Double Agent" isn't on it.
Double Agent rocks! What don't you like about it?

Only the spoken monologues, but they're screamingly bad, and they run through the whole song. And there are plenty of other songs that I could have named instead.

Edited by StellarJetman

As much as I enjoy hearing Counter Parts, Power Windows easily wins this for me.

It's no contest, really, with PoW having Marathon, The Big Money, The Manhattan Project, Middletown Dreams...I love all of those songs dearly.

CP is awesome, but IMO, it doesn't hold a candle to the magic that was captured by PoW.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Dec 1 2011, 09:21 AM)
I voted for PoW. I've never been a huge fan of CP, though a lot of the songs have grown on me over the years. I still think Nobody's Hero is cringe worthy though.

Really? It might be my favorite off of that album.

Tough decision for me. Being a big Alex fan, I appreciate the direction of Counterparts to being more guitar driven and heavier than previous albums. But, it still doesn't do much for me.

Not a big fan of PoW either as a while, but I'm a big fan of a few songs on the album (Territories, Marathon, Middletown Dreams) compared to 0 on Counterparts. Also, I think that Big Money is one of the most over-rated tunes in the catalogue.

Neither album make my top 10 (debut album blows them both away in my world).

Gotta go with PoW

Such a tough decision I love all Rush albums but these two are not only very different but some of my favorites. I went with Counterparts simply because of Lifesons awesome comeback to solos and the albums kicks off perfectly with "Animate" and later on "Leave That Thing Alone" has some awesome bass so...Counterparts trink36.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 1 2011, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 1 2011, 04:29 PM)
Counterparts has some fantastic songs and is a great record. That being said, PoW is a phenomenal record that just gets better as it plays. One of the last albums that was great throughout. Not one dud on it.

goodpost.gif

That pretty much sums up my opinion.

This was actually a really tough one for me, but then again, not really. Both records are among my very favourites, and both get regular spins with me. They probably both rank somewhere in my Top 8 overall.

To me, Counterparts is definitely the best album SINCE Power Windows. But PoW to me, like micgtr71 said, is one of the last truly flawless albums start to finish. Not a weak moment on it.

How much do I love Power Windows? I would rank 'The Big Money' as my "least favourite" track on it. That's how great this record is. 1022.gif

You are 150% correct on Big Money being the weakest song on PoW, only a true Rush fan would realize this cheers! trink38.gif

Edited by GeddyLeeFender

I definitely choose Power Windows. While I like synths, I don't judge an album as to which instrument dominates. As long as the song moves me emotionally, I'm fine. Counterparts is around the bottom for me, but it's grown on me over the year, but not much.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Dec 1 2011, 10:20 AM)
Counterparts.

Both are great albums but I prefer to hear Alex actually play guitar on a Rush record as opposed to him taking a backseat to the synths.

yes.gif

There's more to love on CP for me. PW hasn't aged well with my ears, and only Middletown Dreams and Mystic Rhythms remain as tracks I'll go out of my way to listen to. CP has 5 or 6 that have held their charm.

That said, the lows on CP are lower than those on PW.

QUOTE (Furber @ Dec 1 2011, 07:49 PM)
Hmm that's a tough decision for me. I have to go with Power Windows though because I absolutely LOVE Mystic Rhythms and Middletown Dreams. CP is great too though.

My two fav tracks from PW!

trink39.gif

Power Windows - while initially I would say it's because I'm a synth fan, in reality, it's a great mix of all their talents, and I love the emotional punch the songs have. My favorite and second favorite Rush songs, Marathon and Emotion Detector, are on this album.

Counterparts IS growing on me, and everytime I listen to a song from it, I think to myself, "I forgot how awesome this song is"! Cut To The Chase, Leave That Thing Alone, and Cold Fire are fabulous, but not my faves like those on PoW.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Dec 1 2011, 11:10 PM)
even though I prefer the hard rock sound of CP, I like the songs of PoW better.

PW's sampling fills bug me, as does the thin, buried guitar. But I do love the songs.

I wonder how some of those songs would work translated to a heavier sound? Hmmm...

POWER WINDOWS!!!

I love "Alien Shore" though. The lyrics may be a bit cheesy but man musically I think this song is one of their best.

I wanted to hear the boys play this song live!! Fukking that middle guitar stuff reminds me of Hendrix. Would have loved to see Alex expand that part of the song live.

Yes Lerxst, more fukking guitar please!! trink39.gif

Both LP's are good (hey it's RUSH..duh!)

but,I'd have to go with CP...excellent album.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Dec 1 2011, 08:20 AM)
Counterparts.

Both are great albums but I prefer to hear Alex actually play guitar on a Rush record as opposed to him taking a backseat to the synths.

goodpost.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif 2.gif