Twilight

Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 20 2011, 08:00 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 05:54 AM)
On Rottentomatoes, the movie has a 27% critic rating, and if you go to the Top Critic sub-section, it goes down to 21%.

But then if you look at the audience rating with over 50,000 people voting so far, it's 92%!

I find this fascinating, as I've never seen this large a discrepancy.

There are a lot of teenage girls on the internet as opposed to adult critics.

eyesre4.gif

when i saw it there were men and women, boys and girls of all ages.

Fair enough, I find that there are more teenagers and children that express their opinions on the internet than adults, especially on Metacritic. Would you like to tell us which side of the fence you're on? Right now all of the forum members who saw it tend to agree more with the critics.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 20 2011, 08:39 AM)
On Rottentomatoes, the movie has a 27% critic rating, and if you go to the Top Critic sub-section, it goes down to 21%.

But then if you look at the audience rating with over 50,000 people voting so far, it's 92%!

eyesre4.gif

Fair enough, I find that there are more teenagers and children that express their opinions on the internet than adults, especially on Metacritic. Would you like to tell us which side of the fence you're on? Right now all of the forum members who saw it tend to agree more with the critics.

oh, i thought i said. i LOVED it - i thought it was very powerful and moving, and i found the story to be a complete surprise - twists i did NOT see coming!

to further elaborate on the discrepancies in viewers - on IMDB it's got a low rating of 4.2 out of 10, BUT I noticed a fascinating stat. Over 8,500 votes have been cast so far. Of those, 46.9% of the people who voted gave it a 10, and 29.2% gave it a 1. That's over 3/4ths of the voters giving it a 1 or 10.

Since this story has SOOO many haters, I can only imagine that a majority of those who gave it a 1 have not actually seen the movie and voted a 1 just because it's trendy to hate Twilight.

My logic? I would imagine MOST people who see the movie see it because they've seen the previous movies, and of those people, you would think most anyone who would fork out the cash for it would already be a fan. It's not like this movie is really that different in quality than the previous ones, so people going in know what they're gonna get. The chances of someone who's already a fan giving it a 1 out of 10 is pretty slight IMHO.

On the flipside, I would imagine a lot of fans gave it a 10 (where perhaps they wouldn't have given it such a high rating) to skew the numbers up to compensate for all the hate it gets. Anyway, the 4.2 can't be trusted. I would say in most cases an IMDB # is trustworthy as people have no reason to lie. In this instance they do. It's almost comical the amount of hatred people have towards Twilight, especially those who haven't actually seen the movies or read the books.

In the end, look at the box office gross, which is an estimated $140 million for the opening week-end. The movie is a raging success and has millions of fans regardless of the trendy hate.

Edited by rushgoober

Does reading the entire Blogging Twilight count?

Because I bash the books, but not the movies, although the clip I have seen was laughable.

Interesting stat, Goober, and your analysis is probably right. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 01:59 PM)

eyesre4.gif

oh, i thought i said. i LOVED it - i thought it was very powerful and moving, and i found the story to be a complete surprise - twists i did NOT see coming!

to further elaborate on the discrepancies in viewers - on IMDB it's got a low rating of 4.2 out of 10, BUT I noticed a fascinating stat. Over 8,500 votes have been cast so far. Of those, 46.9% of the people who voted gave it a 10, and 29.2% gave it a 1. That's over 3/4ths of the voters giving it a 1 or 10.

Since this story has SOOO many haters, I can only imagine that a majority of those who gave it a 1 have not actually seen the movie and voted a 1 just because it's trendy to hate Twilight.

My logic? I would imagine MOST people who see the movie see it because they've seen the previous movies, and of those people, you would think most anyone who would fork out the cash for it would already be a fan. It's not like this movie is really that different in quality than the previous ones, so people going in know what they're gonna get. The chances of someone who's already a fan giving it a 1 out of 10 is pretty slight IMHO.

On the flipside, I would imagine a lot of fans gave it a 10 (where perhaps they wouldn't have given it such a high rating) to skew the numbers up to compensate for all the hate it gets. Anyway, the 4.2 can't be trusted. I would say in most cases an IMDB # is trustworthy as people have no reason to lie. In this instance they do. It's almost comical the amount of hatred people have towards Twilight, especially those who haven't actually seen the movies or read the books.

In the end, look at the box office gross, which is an estimated $140 million for the opening week-end. The movie is a raging success and has millions of fans regardless of the trendy hate.

"Trendy hate"...you use that phrase a lot. I do not think it means what you think it means.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 20 2011, 04:54 AM)

Simple. Twilight is the 'Rush' of movie franchises. Everyone that has gone and seen it is probably already a fan...they're not gonna hate it. Critics, however, are not fans, but are still obligated to write a review..and they just don't understand how brilliant these movies are and choose to just Bash. Sound familiar?

These same critics will probably keep Twilight out of the Movie Hall of Fame. Bastards. I hate Rolling Stone..

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 20 2011, 09:22 PM)

eyesre4.gif

"Trendy hate"...you use that phrase a lot. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I've never used it before the last couple of days that I can recall, and I don't know what you think I'm meaning with the term. It's trendy, or popular or the in thing these days to hate Twilight. That's all I mean.

Am I wrong? You don't have to look any farther than this thread to see it - most things people don't like just get ignored, but Twilight is met with passionate hatred from its detractors - it's the Justin Beiber of books/movies.

I watched the first movie on cable when it came out not even knowing what it was. I was not clouded by hate or hype. I can honestly say I just didn't like it and neither did my wife. Never watched the next one because the first one wasn't any good. That's it.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 21 2011, 06:00 AM)
I watched the first movie on cable when it came out not even knowing what it was. I was not clouded by hate or hype. I can honestly say I just didn't like it and neither did my wife. Never watched the next one because the first one wasn't any good. That's it.

I completely respect opinions when they're based on something a person has actually seen. It's definitely not for everyone.

I remember when I first saw the first movie that I was very surprised. I'd heard they hype, but didn't know what to expect. What the movie, and the stories in general, has going for it is a very intense emotional quality. The movie is drenched in emotion; from the story, the dialogue, the soundtrack, the acting, the directing, the editing, etc.

This is either a blessing or a curse depending on how you relate to it. For me it struck a chord, but for others it won't. Some will love it, some will react indifferently, and some will react really negatively. People are entitled to react in any way, and all of those reactions are valid.

BUT, if anyone is going to react to the movies or stories with venom and hatred, at least see the damn thing first and not just a youtube clip or a synopsis or hearsay. Those opinions I can't take seriously at all.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 08:12 AM)

I completely respect opinions when they're based on something a person has actually seen. It's definitely not for everyone.

I remember when I first saw the first movie that I was very surprised. I'd heard they hype, but didn't know what to expect. What the movie, and the stories in general, has going for it is a very intense emotional quality. The movie is drenched in emotion; from the story, the dialogue, the soundtrack, the acting, the directing, the editing, etc.

This is either a blessing or a curse depending on how you relate to it. For me it struck a chord, but for others it won't. Some will love it, some will react indifferently, and some will react really negatively. People are entitled to react in any way, and all of those reactions are valid.

BUT, if anyone is going to react to the movies or stories with venom and hatred, at least see the damn thing first and not just a youtube clip or a synopsis or hearsay. Those opinions I can't take seriously at all.

I definitely don't hate them, if that was the case - I wouldn't keep going with my wife. I guess I would be in the indifferent category. Way too slow for me, and I just don't get it. There were a few times in the movie when people laughed or reacted somehow and I thought "HOW IS THAT FUNNY?" Meh... Wasting a couple hours for my wife is nothing. Sure I would have rather been playing MW3 or fixing something around the house, but a happy wife = a happy life.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 21 2011, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 08:12 AM)

I definitely don't hate them, if that was the case - I wouldn't keep going with my wife. I guess I would be in the indifferent category. Way too slow for me, and I just don't get it. There were a few times in the movie when people laughed or reacted somehow and I thought "HOW IS THAT FUNNY?" Meh... Wasting a couple hours for my wife is nothing. Sure I would have rather been playing MW3 or fixing something around the house, but a happy wife = a happy life.

I agree. If something makes my wife happy its worth it. I know she does things she could care less about to make me happy so if she wanted to go see Twilight I would be there.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Nov 20 2011, 09:22 PM)

eyesre4.gif

I've never used it before the last couple of days that I can recall, and I don't know what you think I'm meaning with the term. It's trendy, or popular or the in thing these days to hate Twilight. That's all I mean.

Am I wrong? You don't have to look any farther than this thread to see it - most things people don't like just get ignored, but Twilight is met with passionate hatred from its detractors - it's the Justin Beiber of books/movies.

Or the Lady Gaga! laugh.gif

(Re: "trendy", I was just using it as a chance to give a nod to one of my favorite movies wink.gif )

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 21 2011, 09:15 PM)
We should issue a challenge. The first Twilight movie is on Netflix, we should pick a date and anyone that has an opinion about it but hasn't watched it (yeah, me included biggrin.gif) should watch it by that date and report back. Could be interesting.

The challenge: Stay awake!

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 21 2011, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 21 2011, 09:15 PM)
We should issue a challenge. The first Twilight movie is on Netflix, we should pick a date and anyone that has an opinion about it but hasn't watched it (yeah, me included biggrin.gif) should watch it by that date and report back. Could be interesting.

The challenge: Stay awake!

laugh.gif

Took my wife to see the finale this weekend. Holy crap was it terrible. There was no intensity, and I often found myself laughing out loud at supposedly serious moments... only to get an elbow from my wife.

She thought the movie was terrible also, so the elbow wasn't because she didn't agree - it's because she thought I was being rude. I wasn't yelling "OH MY GOD - DID YOU SEE THAT CRAP?" or anything... I just laughed.

I'd be willing to do this. I also have a strong opinion yet haven't watched it. ;)

Buy I just checked, and I DON'T see it on Netflix.

Edited by GeddyRulz

The only way I'll see Twilight is on Rifftrax. If it's as good as their commentary on The Room, I'm sold.