last movie you watched

sonicjams

http://images.moviepostershop.com/you-only-live-twice-movie-poster-1967-1020192773.jpg

http://images.moviepostershop.com/on-her-majestys-secret-service-movie-poster-1970-1020199683.jpg

On a Bond fest? I was on one last year.

Currently watching A Matter Of Life And Death for the first time. It is awesome!

On a Bond fest? I was on one last year.

:D Yep

Diamonds are Forever isn't too great, but there's some campy fun to be had

http://images.moviepostershop.com/diamonds-are-forever-movie-poster-1971-1020198310.jpg

http://images.moviepostershop.com/live-and-let-die-movie-poster-1973-1020193652.jpg

• Like 1

I had never noticed all the sexual innuendo in the original James Bond posters... I'm pretty sure here in Italy we had different versions. Well, not so sure, and then I was just a child. Should do some research about it.

Anyway, Diana Rigg rules! Too bad she ended up in the "wrong" Bond movie...

• Like 2

Anyway, Diana Rigg rules!

Emma!! :notworthy: :ebert: :yes: :wub: :NP:

Here's what she's up to nowadays:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/mar/09/diana-rigg-game-of-thrones-getting-older

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/3/7/1394219328974/Diana-Rigg-011.jpg

Diana Rigg is trying to cross the Fulham Road in London. Elegant from two-tone shoes to circular, tinted glasses, she is thwarted by the traffic. "Good timing," she says after I introduce myself. "You can help me get across." In the 60s, when she played Emma Peel in The Avengers, a catsuit-wearing Rigg would have vaulted across car bonnets, and if any male driver had remonstrated, she would have karate-chopped him in the throat and kicked him in the crown jewels. But not today.

"It's my damned tin knees," she says as we link arms and hobble across the street. She had an operation on one of them recently. I had heard that she damaged her knees with those lengthy tap-dancing routines in the 1987 West End production of Sondheim's Follies? "No, it's genetic. My brother, who is 80, has the same problem."

Not that the 75-year-old actor is unhappy with her lot."The older you get, I have to say, the funnier you find life," she says. "That's the only way to go. If you get serious about yourself as you get old, you are pathetic."

We settle in the garden of a French cafe. A few years ago Rigg would have sought out the garden to indulge her 20-a-day habit, but Dame Diana gave up smoking a couple of years ago, and today wants to catch the early spring rays and feed crumbs to the birds.

"I found myself talking aloud to the pigeons in the park the other day," she tells me. "The male pigeons were busily pursuing the female pigeons. I said: 'You silly farts. Can't you see they're not interested?' And then I realised there were people listening to me." And what applies to birds, she reckons, applies to elderly men and women. "I think women of my age are still attractive." She removes her glasses and faces me down with brown eyes that have turned strong men – and, indeed, women – to jelly. "Men of my age aren't." Why? "They've got their cojones halfway to their knees," she says, giggling. "They have the same descent as tits."

Is there no remedy? "Truss," she cackles. That's going to make me a demon with the ladies, I reply bleakly.

We are meeting because Rigg is soon to be seen in season four of Game of Thrones, reprising her performance as the irascible, be-wimpled Lady Olenna Tyrell, for which she received her sixth Emmy nomination last year. It is a role that confirms the myth of Rigg as austere, tough, difficult – not for nothing has she been nicknamed Queen of Thorns for this part.

That thorny thesis about Rigg was supported by her other recent leading role, that of Winifred Gillyflower, a born-again crackpot chemist in a Doctor Who episode called The Crimson Horror, written especially for her by Mark Gatiss. In that episode, her character had blinded her daughter (played by Rigg's real-life daughter Rachael Stirling) and was bent on killing all life on Earth using prehistoric venom from a red reptile secreted in her bosom. "Now Mr Sweet," she said before attempting to unleash Armageddon on Victorian Bradford, "let the whole world taste your lethal kiss!"

Both these roles supported the idea that Rigg is austere, abrasive, tough as old boots. "They always write about me that way ever since I made a bit of a ruckus about getting paid less than the cameraman on The Avengers. I'm portrayed as this tough broad, but I'm not."

Nor, though, is she a walkover. In 2002 she successfully sued the Daily Mail over a nasty hatchet job that suggested she was a retired recluse, bitter over the collapse of her second marriage to theatre producer Archibald Stirling after he'd had an affair with actor Joely Richardson. They photographed Rigg near her French home clutching a baguette and printed it with the caption: "Shopping for one." Retired? False. Recluse? False. True, after two marriages, Rigg has not had a live-in lover for many years, but that's not the same thing.

"I don't know how your Guardian readers are going to take this, but I've had a housekeeper for 24 years. So I'm well looked after. I'm a deeply spoiled woman. I make no apologies about it at all. I think they think: 'Oh, poor woman, she's living on her own.' Not a bit of it. My bed is turned down every night."

But it was the Mail's claim that she was embittered about her marriage breakup 12 years earlier that stung most. "I had never said those words. I had sworn not to talk about my marriage breakup. But those words had a terrible effect on me. I read them, sobbing, thinking about my marriage." Would she consider remarrying? She doesn't answer the question directly, but says: "I'm very good at living with somebody. I think my ex-husband would accede to this because I tend to please. I come from a generation where, when my dad arrived and parked the car, [my mother] would rush upstairs and put some lipstick on, which I think is so charming. I'm wasted living by myself in a sense. But don't anybody, please, take that as an invitation to step forward."

Her daughter, she says with pride, isn't that kind of pleaser. "I remember a few years ago I caught myself asking her: 'Do you make his supper?' And she said: 'Certainly not!' And I was quite pleased. I hadn't handed that on to her. She'd evolved it herself."

So is she a feminist? "I've always said feminism is about equal pay – nothing else." This time last year, Rigg got much feminist opprobrium for telling the Radio Times that women "are more bitchy than men" and for daring other women to disagree. Today, she comes to praise, not bury, her gender. "We're extremely good at business, getting business done, prioritising, organising. Classic female qualities." She knows, too, that some men find powerful women threatening. She recalls her time as chancellor at Stirling University for a decade until 2008: "There was me, a woman principal and a woman director of the arts centre. An old prof was heard to say: 'What are we coming to?' It still exists."

But Rigg believes she has had a very fortunate career. I tell her that when I interviewed Honor Blackman, one of Rigg's predecessors as both fast-handed Avenger and Bond girl, she said her theatrical career had been hobbled because she was contracted to Rank films for two vital years at the beginning of her working life. "I didn't have that problem. Some weeks I'd spend four days on set of The Avengers and then head up to Stratford to be Regan to Olivier's Lear."

While Blackman bemoaned the fact that she was never taken seriously as a classical actor, Rigg became just that. Thanks, in particular, to four roles in which she excelled in the 90s – Medea, Mother Courage, Martha in Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Phèdre in Ted Hughes's adaptation – she burst through the catsuit constraints to become one of our leading tragediennes.

Was she ambitious? "I asked an old friend that the other day. And he said: 'Ambitious? No. You were always grateful.'" She giggles. "I can't remember what I was like. You want to remember yourself in a rosier way, sort of romanticise things. But I did do some shit." Really? "Oh, yes. Short, sharp shit." Such as? "Oh, films." Name them? "Never!"

What is the worst thing anyone has ever said about her? "What that ugly Hungarian said." She means the review she got from New York magazine's John Simon when playing Eloise to Keith Michell's Abelard on Broadway in 1970. He described her in a nude scene as "built like a brick basilica with insufficient flying buttresses". "I felt sorry for the audiences who had to see my poor old buttresses," she says. Another actor, Sylvia Miles, whom Simon described as "one of New York's leading party girls and gate-crashers" tipped a plate of antipasto over the critic in a New York restaurant.

Rigg, instead, parlayed critical abuse into her 1983 book No Turn Unstoned: The Worst Ever Theatrical Reviews. In the early 90s she toured US campuses reading from the book. "At the same time as Margaret Thatcher was touring her memoirs at $250,000 a time." And her fee? "A fraction of that." What fraction? She affects not to hear, but says she now wants to reprise those readings to raise money for her favourite local theatres, such as the routinely acclaimed Finborough, where her daughter is currently starring in Terence Rattigan's Variation on a Theme.

We last saw Rigg on stage in 2011, in Pygmalion, playing Mrs Higgins opposite Rupert Everett, 37 years after she starred as Eliza Doolittle in the 1974 Albery Theatre production of Shaw's play. Mostly, she says, she would love to act again for the Royal Shakespeare Company, where, after graduating from Rada, she began her professional career in 1959. "I'm gagging to work," she says.

Beneath Rigg's presumed tough carapace is something substantial – an actor with even more to give in her eighth decade. "I don't want to retire," she says. "I never want to retire. What's the point of it?"

• Like 3

:musicnote: He has a powerful weapon. He charges a million a shot, an assassin that's second to none: The man with the golden gu-un.:musicnote:

http://images.moviepostershop.com/the-man-with-the-golden-gun-movie-poster-1974-1020196539.jpg

:musicnote: Nobody does it better. :musicnote:

http://images.moviepostershop.com/the-spy-who-loved-me-movie-poster-1977-1020192364.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so a few weeks back i watched

Ridley Scott's Legend and felt like I had watched an underrated classic. Today, I found it on DVD and purchased it, and excitedly rewatched it.

And then i realised it was not underrated at all. It stinks! Still, I love the set designs and awesome unicorns. I love unicorns.

• Like 2

Ridley Scott's Legend and felt like I had watched an underrated classic. Today, I found it on DVD and purchased it, and excitedly rewatched it.

And then i realised it was not underrated at all. It stinks! Still, I love the set designs and awesome unicorns. I love unicorns.

I recently watched it again on DVD, and it had a completely different soundtrack to when I used to watch it as a kid. It used to have music by Tangerine Dream (and even a bit of Jon Anderson), and it was replaced by a typical Jerry Goldsmith score...and the change in music really took away from my enjoyment of the film...still, Tim Curry is awesome http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evil/evilgrin0003.gif

• Like 1

Most people dump on Moonraker for being too over the top, but I like it. Sure, it was cashing in on the success of Star Wars, but aside from a few silly Jaws moments, and the WTF pigeon double-take, I think it's a good one.

Plus, Michael Lonsdale as Hugo Drax is one of my favourite Bond villains.

http://images.moviepostershop.com/moonraker-movie-poster-1979-1020196110.jpg

For Your Thighs Only...I mean Eyes...My favourite Roger Moore Bond film.

And interestingly, the only Bond movie where it takes Bond over an hour to get laid...well, I guess he was getting old by this point

http://images.moviepostershop.com/for-your-eyes-only-movie-poster-1981-1020466971.jpg

• Like 1

I recently watched it again on DVD, and it had a completely different soundtrack to when I used to watch it as a kid. It used to have music by Tangerine Dream (and even a bit of Jon Anderson), and it was replaced by a typical Jerry Goldsmith score...and the change in music really took away from my enjoyment of the film...still, Tim Curry is awesome http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evil/evilgrin0003.gif

Actually, the original score for the film was Jerry Goldsmiths. He was replaced by Tangerine Dream on the US soundtrack because the studio executives wanted something more commercial, as they were doing everything they could to prevent the film being a massive failure. In Europe, the film was released with the intended score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Actually, the original score for the film was Jerry Goldsmiths. He was replaced by Tangerine Dream on the US soundtrack because the studio executives wanted something more commercial, as they were doing everything they could to prevent the film being a massive failure. In Europe, the film was released with the intended score by Jerry Goldsmith.

I didn't know it was that way round. Strange that I would have only seen the US version as a kid, but it was always the Tangerine Dream version they showed on telly. When I watched they DVD, it just felt wrong...guess that's just nostalgia.

I didn't know it was that way round. Strange that I would have only seen the US version as a kid, but it was always the Tangerine Dream version they showed on telly. When I watched they DVD, it just felt wrong...guess that's just nostalgia.

How strange? I have only ever seen the Goldsmith version. I do really like this film...its just that if you take away the production values and artistry, you are left with the flimsiest story and a script that stinks!