Can You Recommend Instrumental Albums?

danielmclark

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 27 2011, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 27 2011, 10:29 PM)
You guys kick so much ass... I've added about 200 songs to that playlist I think, and I'm not even done searching for all the recommendations yet.

Thank you!!

just make sure you leave the Sigur Ros off your list

yes.gif

more than five minutes of that and you'll end up throwing your computer out the window

???

They're pretty awesome... confused13.gif

I suppose our different tastes are acting up again tongue.gif

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Sep 27 2011, 11:06 PM)
You guys kick so much ass... I've added about 200 songs to that playlist I think, and I'm not even done searching for all the recommendations yet.

Thank you!!

yes.gif

more than five minutes of that and you'll end up throwing your computer out the window

???

no, this one's provable

I can't think of a more precious or over-hyped knitting circle of sonic nothingness than Sigur Ros (and pardon the appearance of boasting, but my musical CV is tens of thousands of albums strong)

I know artless noodling when I hear it

we're talking about a band that's lauded for creating nothing but wet paper mittens - put any kind of serious thought or interest into what your listening to, the whole thing falls apart in a wadded mess, leaving you cold and a little pissed (those paper mittens weren't worth a damn)

I gave those fellas more chances than that other [almost as] over-hyped 'angry Pink Floyd for Twilight fans' band (Porcupine Tree)

I came away with nothing but nonplussed astonishment at how naive and easily manipulated this generations' 'undergound ears' seem to be

but hey, don't take my word for it... you think I'm off base at all, just take a peek at their website wink.gif

Edited by ghostworks

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 28 2011, 01:07 AM)

Thank you!!

yes.gif

???

no, this one's provable

I can't think of a more precious or over-hyped knitting circle of sonic nothingness than Sigur Ros (and pardon the appearance of boasting, but my musical CV is tens of thousands of albums strong)

we're talking about a band that's lauded for creating nothing but wet paper mittens - put any kind of serious thought or interest into what your listening to, the whole thing falls apart in a wadded mess, leaving you cold and a little pissed (those paper mittens weren't worth a damn)

I gave those fellas more chances than that other [almost as] over-hyped 'angry Pink Floyd for Twilight fans' band (Porcupine Tree)

I came away with nothing but nonplussed astonishment at how naive and easily manipulated this generations' 'undergound ears' seem to be

but hey, don't take my word for it... you think I'm off base at all, just take a peek at their website wink.gif

Your criticisms are fair. At points, it does seem that they're just fooling around and happen to catch on with each other. I recommended them mostly because it definitely puts me into focus mode, since it gets very spacey (if it can be called that) and free. I have to admit, your description of Porcupine Tree made me chuckle. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 27 2011, 10:07 PM)

Thank you!!

yes.gif

???

no, this one's provable

provable? musical CV? you ARE kidding, right? you simply can't have an objective opinion about something that's inherently subjective, no matter how much of a music fan or musicologist you are.

anyway, i've yet to get any sigur ros albums, but i look forward to them. i've heard a lot of their music and even saw about an hour of a documentary on them that was like one extended video, and their music was pretty amazing.

my subjective opinion. just like yours is. wink.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 28 2011, 12:14 AM)
...I have to admit, your description of Porcupine Tree made me chuckle. laugh.gif

wink.gif

I'm pretty serious about music, and I have pretty serious opinions (most people who love music do)

but I've never taken that to mean we can't have some fun kicking around the bands that make us cringe

and personally, I've found no better education for developing a 'tough skin' against negative opinions, derisive commentary and downright personal attacks than to listen to and publicly proclaim your love for Rush for almost 30 years trink39.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Sep 25 2011, 02:06 AM)
Ozric Tentacles is an amazingly good instrumental band.

Indeed! Steve Morse's Southern Steel is a great album as well.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 28 2011, 12:07 AM)

Thank you!!

yes.gif

???

no, this one's provable

I love you so much wub.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 29 2011, 12:16 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 28 2011, 09:18 PM)
Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. Just listened to that the other day and was very impressed.

They've got other works by him, but Tubular Bells isn't available on Spotify. Nothing from Zappa, either sad.gif

Tubular Bells is on Grooveshark, though. That's where I heard it.