Time Machine 2011 being premiered

D3strukt

this is why i hate vh1 classic. they we're supposed to replay it at 3:30am and 8:30am, but did not. i was not able to watch or dvr last night, so this is really pissing me off.

i'm not too upset tho, after hearing how songs were cut. can't wait for the blu-ray!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 29 2011, 08:35 AM)
this is why i hate vh1 classic. they we're supposed to replay it at 3:30am and 8:30am, but did not. i was not able to watch or dvr last night, so this is really pissing me off.

i'm not too upset tho, after hearing how songs were cut. can't wait for the blu-ray!

Yeah, I was all set to watch it right now until I head to work in a couple hours. Its R30. Pretty lame on there part.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 29 2011, 06:38 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 26 2011, 04:41 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2011, 07:06 PM)
At the risk of making yet another controversial post, my thoughts on the subject aren't "Oh cool, a new Rush DVD on a channel where it will get a lot of airplay and maybe introduce some people to Rush," but, "God, I hope Geddy's vocals aren't as embarrassingly bad as on the last live DVD or two."

unsure.gif

I'm not sure what other live release other than S&A you think Geddy sounded so bad on. Your post seems to cover more than just S&A. I only feel that way about the S&A live CD. To me Geddy's vocals sound pretty good when I'm 'watching' the DVD. I guess the combination of visuals, stage show, and watching them play add energy to the vocals and it works. But to just 'listen' to the S&A CDs is a challenge for me. He sounds tired and (dare I say it) old. So from now on... I'm only going to watch. laugh.gif

I think the RIR didn't sound good vocally either, but honestly, it's been a very long time since I've seen the video or listened to the discs.

I watched the two clips posted - Presto & Faithless (not the best two songs to start with, admittedly), and then part of Spirit of the Radio. Honestly, all I noticed was the vocals, but that's all I was really paying attention to. At least on this video he enunciates his words fully (at least on those three songs), but they still sound pretty off-key almost all the time to my ears.

Eventually I'll get to see the whole thing and then I'll take in the other elements, but for now the singing is a glaring sore thumb, especially in light of how good they still are musically and at performing. Not a popular point of view, I'm sure, but I'm used to that. tongue.gif

Then again, I've never been a big fan of live Rush albums, and greatly prefer listening to their studio works.

Thanks for that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2011, 06:06 PM)
At the risk of making yet another controversial post, my thoughts on the subject aren't "Oh cool, a new Rush DVD on a channel where it will get a lot of airplay and maybe introduce some people to Rush," but, "God, I hope Geddy's vocals aren't as embarrassingly bad as on the last live DVD or two."

unsure.gif

His vocals were definately off on R30 - but I thought he sounded fantastic on S&A live.

Sounds great here too - they definately caught a good night for him vocally.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Sep 25 2011, 09:28 AM)
his vocals will be bad no doubt. If they are anything like i heard on youtube. its gonna be painful..

I'm happy to report how wrong you are.

This is a classic case of Geddy at 58 being compared to Geddy at 28.

He doesn't sing in the crisp, high pitched nasal sqeak of his younger years - and I'm perfectly fine with that. He sings from his stomach now - and his pitch and tone are far better for it (he used to go out of tune on an almost regualr basis when he was just singing through his nose)

I've read complaints about his vocal performance on the S&A DVD and just can't wrap my head around it - that was one of his best ever tours vocally.

On the Time Machine tour, particxularly the first leg, there is no question that his voice was tired in spots and cracked here and there - but embarressingly so? No way - he's got the strongest voice of any of his contemporaries and this particular recording finds him on a very good night. If they cleaned it up a bit then more power to em. If I flubbed a note here or there I would want it smoothed out for a DVD...

Poor Ged - his voice will forever be damned, no matter what he does wink.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 29 2011, 05:35 AM)

VH1 sure didn't stick to the schedule! I'm wondering whether Rush only gave them permission to play The Time Machine once, just enough to wet our whistles to what we will get on the DVD. I took no chances, I DVR'd it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Sep 29 2011, 02:13 PM)

VH1 sure didn't stick to the schedule! I'm wondering whether Rush only gave them permission to play The Time Machine once, just enough to wet our whistles to what we will get on the DVD. I took no chances, I DVR'd it. biggrin.gif

They have it scheduled again at 4:30, a half hour from now. Whether they actually play it remains to be seen.

I'm going to be pised if I find that the 3:30am replay didnt air. I only caught the last 25 minutes of the show (that was aired) but I will say this with all sincerity -

I have NEVER, EVER, seen them play Working Man quite like that before, jaw-dropped the entire final 2 minutes of that song.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 29 2011, 03:57 PM)

They have it scheduled again at 4:30, a half hour from now. Whether they actually play it remains to be seen.

...And once again, they're playing R30 instead. Oh well.

Palladia will be showing it soon in HD, and maybe even before Nov. 8th.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 29 2011, 04:27 PM)
I'm going to be pised if I find that the 3:30am replay didnt air. I only caught the last 25 minutes of the show (that was aired) but I will say this with all sincerity -

I have NEVER, EVER, seen them play Working Man quite like that before, jaw-dropped the entire final 2 minutes of that song.

Unfortunately, they didn't replay it at 3:30, or at any time since the first showing last night.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 29 2011, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 29 2011, 04:27 PM)
I'm going to be pised if I find that the 3:30am replay didnt air.  I only caught the last 25 minutes of the show (that was aired) but I will say this with all sincerity -

Unfortunately, they didn't replay it at 3:30, or at any time since the first showing last night.

[spockvoice] Dammit, Jim! [/spockvoice]

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 29 2011, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 29 2011, 03:57 PM)

...And once again, they're playing R30 instead. Oh well.

Palladia will be showing it soon in HD, and maybe even before Nov. 8th.

Yeah, non-HD on VH1 kinda sucked. It will be better when the DVD comes out...no big deal. DVR'd it but probably won't watch it again before the DVD.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Sep 29 2011, 03:40 PM)
unsure.gif

but I thought he sounded fantastic on S&A live.
[/quote]
especially on mission

Heavens yes. The Snakes And Arrows Live version of "Mission" is absolutely wonderful.

I am so proud of the boys. They were absolutely on fire that night. I don't know who was on fire the most between the three. It stuns me at this stage in their career they are playing at their best. I didn't have high hopes for the vocals but they sounded pretty good to me. The baby with the Neil hat on in the opening Tom Sawyer video made me lose it. I didn't notice that at the concert. Thanks for all the vids!!!