• Yes
    • The Beatles

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Sep 12 2011, 09:39 AM)
without them would yes cease to exist? ...nope

I wouldn't be too sure about that. It could be argued The Beatles and their enormous worldwide success were a huge inspiration and catalyst for the entire British rock movement of the 60s.

I'll vote Yes if only even up the poll results a little. But I couldn't really choose which I like better. I love them both.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Sep 13 2011, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 12 2011, 09:16 PM)
Ability: Bill Bruford > Ringo >Alan White

Style: Ringo > Bill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alan

yes.gif

...Right

so

you like the stripey shirts and boots Mr. Starkey wore over Mr. Bruford's choice of overalls and tennis sneakers?

okay, whatever

(I'll agree with both of you that Alan's wristbands and tanktops are the pits, though)

Thankfully, people have started coming to their senses and The Beatles are coming out on top. Yes may be a good band (not a huge fan, myself). However, The Beatles revolutionized rock and roll. Each album they did pushed the boundaries of the current music scene just a little further. And, their songs are timeless!

Incidentally, Rolling Stone has a really good magazine on the racks right now going album by album with The Beatles. Very good read. It was cool to read some of the back stories that I'd never heard before.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Sep 13 2011, 10:19 AM)
Thankfully, people have started coming to their senses and The Beatles are coming out on top...

don't get too self-satisfied, cf wink.gif

there's plenty of "I like 'em better" voting going on (on both sides), so this poll isn't going to reflect much except what TRF members like to cue up on the turntable most

...The Beatles revolutionized rock and roll...
...by accident

I'm sorry, but that statement has been abused for far too long (and without proper perspective) - nothing personal, cf - but I tend to 'call' pop-culture laziness when it's so egregious

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Sep 13 2011, 08:19 AM)
Thankfully, people have started coming to their senses and The Beatles are coming out on top. Yes may be a good band (not a huge fan, myself). However, The Beatles revolutionized rock and roll. Each album they did pushed the boundaries of the current music scene just a little further. And, their songs are timeless!

Incidentally, Rolling Stone has a really good magazine on the racks right now going album by album with The Beatles. Very good read. It was cool to read some of the back stories that I'd never heard before.

goodpost.gif I agree, absolutely.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 13 2011, 12:08 PM)
Thankfully, people have started coming to their senses and The Beatles are coming out on top...

there's plenty of "I like 'em better" voting going on (on both sides), so this poll isn't going to reflect much except what TRF members like to cue up on the turntable most

...by accident

I'm sorry, but that statement has been abused for far too long (and without proper perspective) - nothing personal, cf - but I tend to 'call' pop-culture laziness when it's so egregious

Obviously, it's nothing more than a "like 'em better" poll. And, like I've said, Yes is a good band. But, there's just no way to compare the merits of The Beatles and Yes. The Beatles helped create vocal harmony techniques that hadn't been seen up until that point. Techniques that Yes seem to be quite fond of. And, if you look, you'll see that some of Yes' earliest shows included Beatles covers. So, in some respect, they were influenced by The Beatles. Didn't their first album contain a Beatles cover?

And, I'd like to see what you base your "by accident" comment on. The majority of what The Beatles did in the studio seems to be very calculated. Very little was done "by accident".

But, like you said, it's all opinion. And, I'm not looking to start a pissing match with anyone. Enjoy listening to your Yes CD's if that's what you like better.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Sep 13 2011, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 13 2011, 12:08 PM)

...by accident

Obviously, it's nothing more than a "like 'em better" poll. And, like I've said, Yes is a good band. But, there's just no way to compare the merits of The Beatles and Yes. The Beatles helped create vocal harmony techniques that hadn't been seen up until that point. Techniques that Yes seem to be quite fond of. And, if you look, you'll see that some of Yes' earliest shows included Beatles covers. So, in some respect, they were influenced by The Beatles. Didn't their first album contain a Beatles cover?

And, I'd like to see what you base your "by accident" comment on. The majority of what The Beatles did in the studio seems to be very calculated. Very little was done "by accident".

But, like you said, it's all opinion. And, I'm not looking to start a pissing match with anyone. Enjoy listening to your Yes CD's if that's what you like better.

Ghosty did agree with you that The Beatles revolutionized rock and roll. He just thinks it was an accident. The main thing is, he feels The Beatles revolutionized rock and roll, so you two are on the same page as far as that goes smile.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 13 2011, 10:54 AM)

Style: Ringo > Bill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

yes.gif

...Right

so

you like the stripey shirts and boots Mr. Starkey wore over Mr. Bruford's choice of overalls and tennis sneakers?

okay, whatever

(I'll agree with both of you that Alan's wristbands and tanktops are the pits, though)

facepalm.gif I meant drumming style.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 13 2011, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 13 2011, 10:54 AM)

yes.gif

...Right

so

okay, whatever

facepalm.gif I meant drumming style.

ah, I get it now... you were beingsarcastic

(you can see why I made the mistake, then) wink.gif

What influential artist wasn't influential by accident?

Did The Beatles have a little luck in their success? Sure. Who hasn't?

Where The Beatles simply in the right place at the right time? Probably. But they backed it up.

Did The Beatles intend their music to sound a certain way? Yes. And they pushed the envelope to do so. Were they the only band to do that? Nope. But they were certainly in the forefront.

Did The Beatles have a significant influence on Prog and Yes, in particular? Yep. Ask Jon Anderson.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 13 2011, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Sep 13 2011, 12:22 PM)
...the main thing is, he feels The Beatles revolutionized rock and roll, so you two are on the same page as far as that goes smile.gif

yes.gif indeed!

Not that I agree with you. There's too much talent there to call it an accident. There are too many components. But that's alright, we agree enough about the revolution that the rest doesn't matter. smile.gif

I do love Yes. Close to the Edge blew my mind. The Yes Album.. Fragile.. Relayer.. Tormato.. Drama.. 90125.. so many great albums. Played the hell out of Yesshows. I went through a huge Yes phase that lasted years. Still love them. But I grew up on The Beatles. They are the toppermost trink38.gif

Ask Yes what they'd say and it would be Beatles. I do like their take on Every Little Thing. Couldn't have Yes without the Beatles but they are very different types of bands. Love 'em both of course.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 13 2011, 09:37 PM)
Ask Yes what they'd say and it would be Beatles. I do like their take on Every Little Thing. Couldn't have Yes without the Beatles but they are very different types of bands. Love 'em both of course.

Apparently, Jon Anderson is an unabashed Beatles fan, especially John Lennon. Listen to "I've Seen All Good People".

Again, I love both bands, but The Beatles mean more to me. Simple.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 13 2011, 03:20 PM)
What influential artist wasn't influential by accident?

Did The Beatles have a little luck in their success? Sure. Who hasn't?

Where The Beatles simply in the right place at the right time? Probably. But they backed it up.

Did The Beatles intend their music to sound a certain way? Yes. And they pushed the envelope to do so. Were they the only band to do that? Nope. But they were certainly in the forefront.

Did The Beatles have a significant influence on Prog and Yes, in particular? Yep. Ask Jon Anderson.

This...why can't we just agree that the beatles did happen by accident, but they totally backed it up? They innovated shitloads... And they were talented...maybe nowhere near as talented as yes members...

But then again, this is about what band YOU like better.

I like them both. I like Yes a bit better due to the startling musicianship and the surreal quality of the music. That's what I dig, so I voted Yes. But both bands are amazing, so who cares?

McCartney's pretty f***ing talented. Even still at his advanced age. But at his height he was easily as good a guitarist as Steve Howe (Taxman and The End guitar solos, Blackbird, etc.), as good or better a bassist as Squire (ask Squire, plus listen to Something, Don't Let Me Down or just about anything else or play Beatles Rock Band on Expert Bass), as good a keyboardist as Tony Kaye (listen to Penny Lane, Let It Be or the Abbey Road medley), as good a drummer as Alan White (both were good enough for John Lennon) and easily as good or better singer than Anderson with a wider range.

Just saying... smile.gif