The problem with Vapor Trails

StellarJetman

QUOTE (Mika @ Sep 10 2011, 03:53 AM)
I'd never criticized the sound quality of Vapor Trails, and was actually surprised that people generally didn't like it. I kind of thought it was a more 'raw, heavy-sounding' album, and left it at that for myself. It's interesting to see more specific basis for this, and it would be interesting to hear a different mix of it! Since my ears aren't registering 'distortion' so much, I'll continue to enjoy listening to VT, and see what the future brings!

Don't get me wrong I love the songs on VT but there is no clarity and separation of instruments and if you try to crank it sounds like crap.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing about VT is that even with a proper remix and remaster, it's still going to sound more or less like a wall of distortion because Alex and Geddy put so many layers of guitars and bass on each song. The songs I'd like to hear cleaned up the most are "How It Is" and "The Stars Look Down". The level of noise and clipping in 'How...' is expecially horrendous. And I really like that song too.

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Sep 10 2011, 09:25 AM)
Surely much of the problem is the multi-tracking of bass and guitar? How many layers of guitar are on there, wasn't it fifty or something crazy like that? Too much going on and not enough space!

I should have commented on your post instead of writing my own saying the same exact thing lol.

As far as Rush goes, I actually like their late '80s/early '90s pop sound better than the recent material specifically because the songs had room to breathe and wasn't just a wall of noise.

Edited by jnoble

I guess I envy the people who just don't have the ears to hear the atrocious sound of this CD. I remember when I downloaded the leaked MP3 files, before the album came out, I knew something was very wrong. Even MP3's couldn't sound that bad. Sure enough when I bought the CD, on release day, it sounded just as horrible. I like almost all the songs on it but I've only been able to listen to it twice.

I can't wait until the remaster comes out!

Edited by Majestyk

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 11 2011, 06:39 PM)
I feel like a fell in a time warp.

There are numerous threads and analysis of the VT "problem". In short, IMO, the sound is not optimum, is distorted, and the article referenced above was indeed a good analysis.

yeah really......there should be a thread pinned and the title bolded.....man....

I don't have any great sound-equipment, so I probably don't notice whatever problems with the recording that there might be, but if there's to be a remixing, I want to hear the shit out of it biggrin.gif

I love several of the songs on that album, and if they're to be improved, that's fine with me, as long as the band thinks it needs to happen.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Sep 10 2011, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Sep 10 2011, 09:25 AM)
Surely much of the problem is the multi-tracking of bass and guitar? How many layers of guitar are on there, wasn't it fifty or something crazy like that? Too much going on and not enough space!

I should have commented on your post instead of writing my own saying the same exact thing lol.

As far as Rush goes, I actually like their late '80s/early '90s pop sound better than the recent material specifically because the songs had room to breathe and wasn't just a wall of noise.

+1

Perfect

I remember reading some people returning/exchanging their CD like 7 times...some claimed to have gotten better sounding versions...which was ridiculous because they ALL sounded smashed and bashed.

This CD needs a re-do in the mixing and mastering...no way around it.

Alex should not have gone to the beach/golfing....he was listening to a walkman after a few tequillas thinking it sounded great.

Whoops

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 13 2011, 09:39 AM)
VT sounds fine to me. It just the songs themselves that don't do much for me, with a few exceptions.

yes.gif

The songs, to me, are marginal. I just can't feel the energy except for the opening track.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 13 2011, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 13 2011, 09:39 AM)
VT sounds fine to me.  It just the songs themselves that don't do much for me, with a few exceptions.

yes.gif

The songs, to me, are marginal. I just can't feel the energy except for the opening track.

Yeah, for me the energy is in the opening track, plus Earthshine and Freeze.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 13 2011, 09:56 AM)
Chemistry

Seems to me that is what it is.

When it first came out I was just so happy that Rush was back that I didn't care about the sound and it was only later that I started to listen with a more discerning ear. No separation, too loud, almost no unique isolated Geddy bass moments. I was stunned to find out there was acoustic guitar on it. The versions on Retrospective 3 show that it can be fixed. I look forward to that and all the arguments to follow.

Yup, can't wait for the remixed version. Love the songs-up on my top 5 favourite Rush albums- but it does sound awful. No wonder Paul Northfield hasn't had much work of note since. He was a great producer up until then. Lots of really good albums with his name on them.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 13 2011, 06:53 PM)
bacon.gif

Hmmm, smells good, but no sound is evident.

you don't hear it crackling in the frying pan?

Edited by Rushman14