Alex gives some props to Emotion Detector

GUP1771

So, you would think that if you were to ask people what Alex's best guitar solo would be, most would throw out answers like 'Limelight', 'Freewill', or 'La Villa Strangiato (for fans), etc. Well, according to Alex in a 2007 interview, Emotion Detector's guitar solo is one of his best, and I quote, "As far as my solos go, [it] has to be my favorite..."

It starts around the

mark.

I just thought this was interesting because Alex's later guitar work isn't applauded as much as I personally think it should, particularly during the synth period. Even though the synths became more prevalent with each succeeding album from Moving Pictures to Hold Your Fire, he still seemed to play great solos when given the opportunity to do so. I just found it nice to hear a shout out to that song, since it has one of my favorite guitar solos from the synth period, and also because I can play the synths from it. laugh.gif

I figured I would post this to see what other's think.

(Please excuse if this was mentioned in the past before.)

I've always loved Emotion Detector and that solo Alex plays is just about my favorite solo he ever recorded.

Geddy's basslines are preetty awesome too.

I think I'll try a youtube of that song sometime.

Time to break out the Wal again.

Of course half of Geddy's part is keys/Taurus pedals during that solo but it is done so well.

I would really hope that they can play that song live before they decide to call it a day.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2011, 08:33 AM)
I've made probably half a dozen posts about the "Emotion Detector" solo over the years. Say what you want about the synth era -- it produced some of Alex's best solos, and the one from this song is right up there.

Absolutely agree! Maybe it was because he felt like he had to make his presence known... The guitar parts on these albums are so creative and the solos outstanding. I read that interview, too, and was happy to see him mention Emotion Detector because it's one of my favorite songs. He mentions Kid Gloves in another interview I read recently (can't recall when it dates to). Another of my favorites.

It would be fantastic if they put these 2 songs onto the CA play list. 1022.gif

He's obviously changed his mind over the years. I remember he said that he didn't like the solo when he was interviewed at the time of Power Windows. He said that was one reason they didn't play it on the tour.

I'm surprised by how many people really enjoy this song and support the synth era. I don't know why the 80s has such a bad rep. It was a period of great diversity in music. I think the perception of the 80s is starting to change, but I think in the next 10 years, the 80s will be viewed very differently. People will look back and say, "Hey, it was a great period in music."

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 2 2011, 11:39 PM)
I'm surprised by how many people really enjoy this song and support the synth era. I don't know why the 80s has such a bad rep. It was a period of great diversity in music. I think the perception of the 80s is starting to change, but I think in the next 10 years, the 80s will be viewed very differently. People will look back and say, "Hey, it was a great period in music."

I thought it was great when it was happening. I loved GUP when it came out and same thing with Power Windows. I remember when I first heard Big Money on radio before the release. I was thrilled and couldn't believe the stellar production.

I was musically obsessed with Rush since discovering them in 1980 until Signals was released. I must admit after being disappointed with Signals then initially Grace Under Pressure I tuned Rush out for about 5 years. facepalm.gif I can only put it down to not being ready for the maturing more sophisticated Rush at that time in my life. I didn't even buy Power Windows until the early 90s. Now I love it and GUP, they're both full of excellent guitar work.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 4 2011, 12:27 AM)
I was musically obsessed with Rush since discovering them in 1980 until Signals was released. I must admit after being disappointed with Signals then initially Grace Under Pressure I tuned Rush out for about 5 years. facepalm.gif I can only put it down to not being ready for the maturing more sophisticated Rush at that time in my life. I didn't even buy Power Windows until the early 90s. Now I love it and GUP, they're both full of excellent guitar work.

Glad you finally came around:)

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 3 2011, 08:47 PM)
Between this and Geddy saying Power Windows is one of his favorite albums, I feel validated ranking this song my second favorite after Marathon icon_alienjig.gif

Oh really? Where'd you see/hear that about Geddy stating Power Winfows is one of his favorite albums? That's awesome, though. I want see/hear that.

I have to laugh regarding this "forgettable song" on this "forgettable album", besides this great playing by Alex, I'm listening to killer bass, good beat, and Geddy's voice is just perfect...

Cheers and thanks for interview, I think I saw it before, but not for a long time...

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 2 2011, 11:39 PM)

If music stays in its current stagnant state then the 1980s will look better and better. I actually watched the MTV video awards this year just to see what was going on. It was like watching a train wreck with a horrible soundtrack. I don't want to sound like an old fart because I did see a lot of good talent, but no one knew what to do with it.

As far as Alex in the 80s goes he surely did play some great guitar solos in the synth era. I probably play Power Windows and Hold Your Fire less than some other albums and I'm always surprised by how good they sound when I do and then I think why haven't I played this for a while?

I think I'll go downstairs and get Power Windows out and wake my neighbors up.

Power Windows is easily my favorite Rush album. My favorites on there are Grand Designs, Emotion Detector, and Marathon. The band was firing on every cylinder during this time, and I believe this album contains Geddy's best vocal and bass performances and Neil's best drum performance and lyrics.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Sep 5 2011, 10:15 AM)
Power Windows is easily my favorite Rush album. My favorites on there are Grand Designs, Emotion Detector, and Marathon. The band was firing on every cylinder during this time, and I believe this album contains Geddy's best vocal and bass performances and Neil's best drum performance and lyrics.

It's not my favorite album overall, but I do see it as the peak of what they did during the synth era.

Signals I felt was way too sterile and they went way overboard with the synths. GUP was better, but it was a little dull for me. Kind of a downer album, but some strong stuff on it.

It all came together with PoW. Like they figured out how to balance strong melodies, interesting arrangements and playing, along with the synths just supporting all of that, which continued into HYF, which I didnt think was quite as good.

As far as the bass playing though, being a bassist myself, it's Geddy's finest album. Not that any of it is difficult to play, but the basslines themselves were expertly crafted. Easily the best he ever did before or since.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 2 2011, 10:33 AM)
I've made probably half a dozen posts about the "Emotion Detector" solo over the years. Say what you want about the synth era -- it produced some of Alex's best solos, and the one from this song is right up there.

Definitely not a fan of post -GUP synth-era, but its a great solo, no doubt.