My Interview with Neil Peart for the LA Times

BodyForWife

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 08:49 AM)
Are you kidding me??? seriously? this guys fat and smokes. hes not in shape. he looks terrible... I dont know how smoking and overeating is staying fit.. His drumming has slowed down as a result of it too... is this some kind of joke?? ohmy.gif

Obvious troll is obvious.

QUOTE (BodyForWife @ Jul 24 2011, 03:24 PM)
Thank you everyone for the kinds words about the column. I really did write it for the fans first and as a fitness piece second. Hence, the hidden lyrics that non-Rush fans won't even notice.

I actually did not know he was a smoker. I have a keen nose and sat two feet across from him for 15 minutes and didn't even catch a whiff of cigarette smoke. Perhaps he has quit?

James Fell
http://www.bodyforwife.com/

I thought it was cool how you incorporated some lyrics into your article, it was fun to see.

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 24 2011, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 24 2011, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 09:49 AM)
Are you kidding me??? seriously? this guys fat and smokes. hes not in shape. he looks terrible... I dont know how smoking and overeating is staying fit.. His drumming has slowed down as a result of it too... is this some kind of joke?? ohmy.gif

dazed025.gif did you read the interview before you posted?

sarcasm.gif Hmmm. Lemme get this straight. So, you're asking if...reani..."READ" something BEFORE ranting posting?...about Neil? sarcasm.gif

rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif

[disclaimer: haven't read article]

On that other Neil post with him jamming with Copeland and company, I basically called out people like reani. It was good fun I have to say.

QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Jul 24 2011, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 24 2011, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 24 2011, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 09:49 AM)

dazed025.gif did you read the interview before you posted?

sarcasm.gif Hmmm. Lemme get this straight. So, you're asking if...reani..."READ" something BEFORE ranting posting?...about Neil? sarcasm.gif

rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif

[disclaimer: haven't read article]

On that other Neil post with him jamming with Copeland and company, I basically called out people like reani. It was good fun I have to say.

Oh, reani14 isn't really a troll, just a candidate for the short bus.

That was an excellent article, a real pleasure to read. Thanks for posting it. smile.gif

And welcome to TRF trink39.gif

Yeah I was just thinking this. He is in very poor shape. Maybe he's in a little better shape now than he was recently, I dont know, but the dude is a smoker, drinks whiskey pretty regularly it sounds, and looks overweight to me.

Yeah Im sure he could be in worse shape, but I dont think anyone cares what his workout routine is. He's not in good shape so it doesnt even matter.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 24 2011, 05:20 PM)

Obvious troll is obvious.

He would be trolling if Neil didnt smoke and drink regularly, but he does. He mentions it in some of his news stories on his site.

Trolling is just making up things to start an argument. Learn what the term means. All the guy did was mention what is already known about Neil from his own mouth.

Great article. Enjoyed it very much.

And it is fortunate that the TRF fitness gurus Reani and Trenken are here to let us know that it was a complete work of fiction. That Neil does not, in fact, cross country ski or swim long distances, or play drums for long periods of time. That ANY ingestion of tobacco or achohol completely negates anything else you might do to keep in shape. Thanks guys!

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 25 2011, 07:19 AM)

Yeah I was just thinking this. He is in very poor shape. Maybe he's in a little better shape now than he was recently, I dont know, but the dude is a smoker, drinks whiskey pretty regularly it sounds, and looks overweight to me.

Yeah Im sure he could be in worse shape, but I dont think anyone cares what his workout routine is. He's not in good shape so it doesnt even matter.

Yeah, what a slob! sarcasm.gif

You seem to imply that he's a drunk, Cheetos-stained chain-smoker. Thank god you aren't really looking for anyone to take you seriously.

BTW, The Health Benefits of Whiskey

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 25 2011, 09:57 AM)
And it is fortunate that the TRF fitness gurus Reani and Trenken are here to let us know that it was a complete work of fiction. That Neil does not, in fact, cross country ski or swim long distances, or play drums for long periods of time. That ANY ingestion of tobacco or achohol completely negates anything else you might do to keep in shape. Thanks guys!

Oh good! I was getting scared for a second.

eh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 25 2011, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 25 2011, 09:57 AM)
And it is fortunate that the TRF fitness gurus Reani and Trenken are here to let us know that it was a complete work of fiction.  That Neil does not, in fact, cross country ski or swim long distances, or play drums for long periods of time.  That ANY ingestion of tobacco or achohol completely negates anything else you might do to keep in shape.  Thanks guys!

Oh good! I was getting scared for a second.

eh.gif

As a former moderate smoker (well, pack-a-day) AND ultra-marathoner, I can tell you that one does not preclude the other. I finished more than one road race/marathon and hunted around to find the huddled pack of fellow smokers furtively lighting up behind some building near the finish line. There were always at least a couple dozen of us, depending on how big the event was.

Doubt you'll find any smokers amongst elite athletes, but Neil isn't claiming to be one. At this point he may well have quit anyway; I don't recall any references to "Red Apple" breaks in his road diaries from the most recent tours.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 24 2011, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 01:36 PM)
now people, Amy wine house was in shape. need i say more!

But Neil's blood type isn't cocaine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/24b6zk4_thjpg.gif

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 25 2011, 07:19 AM)
He is in very poor shape. Maybe he's in a little better shape now than he was recently, I dont know, but the dude is a smoker, drinks whiskey pretty regularly it sounds, and looks overweight to me.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Well somebody must care, to get an article in the LA Times. confused13.gif

QUOTE (BodyForWife @ Jul 24 2011, 08:08 AM)
Rush has been my favorite band for almost 30 years. I had their posters and images cut from magazines plastered all over my walls as a teen, and used Rush lyrics as my high school graduation quote.

A few weeks ago a dream came true for me. I got to interview Neil Peart for 15 minutes before the June 30, 2011 show in Vancouver, BC about his fitness regimen and how he stays in such excellent shape for drumming for my LA Times fitness column. (I live in Calgary, but freelance for LAT.)

My friend and I also got to see the Time Machine show from front row, centre. Never did I think I'd be front row at a Rush concert.

Anyway, as should not be surprising, Neil is a true workout warrior. If you wish to read the column, here it is:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-fitnes...6300,full.story

LA Times made it a centerpiece feature for the health section, with extra photos. It runs on the cover of the health section on Monday, July 25, 2011.

Also, if you wish to see the photo gallery with some pictures of Neil exercising (that is not drumming, I mean), go here:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-fitnes...53.photogallery

I hope you enjoy the piece.

Best regards,

James Fell
www.bodyforwife.com

Excellent article, James. Thanks very much for sharing! trink39.gif

BTW, don't worry about the haters. There are a few Neil Bashers around here who just live for the chance to crap in any and every Neil-related thread. fing.gif

I'm not a NEP hater but every early interview I've seen with him, and all his books reference him smoking (red apples). He's been a life-long smoker and if he's quit, that's great. I hope so for the sake of his young daughter (and the fact his first wife died from cancer).

I'm an ex-bicycle racer and I have actually seen some of my competitors light up after a ride (seriously, wtf?). I know exercise doesn't mean you don't smoke, but as others have said here... Neil is a known smoker and drinker and face it, the dude has a big paunch. I know he's 58 (hell, I'm 46 an about 25lbs heavier than when I retired from racing), so I know what age does to your metabolism.

I wouldn't call NEP fit, per se... but it was a good article and nice to read that he says he works out.