My Interview with Neil Peart for the LA Times

BodyForWife

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jul 26 2011, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 26 2011, 03:06 AM)
While of course this is none of my business, I have to admit I am a little puzzled: Neil seems to pride himself on doing things the best that he can, and takes a very logical and methodical approach to accomplishing things. Something so obviously detrimental like smoking doesn't seem to match his lifestyle tenets - why does he do it (assuming he does still smoke)? Obviously he still plays drums very well, and is probably not too concerned about the effects smoking could have on his playing, but if there's a possibility his playing could improve just a little or be a smidgen easier, he would surely quit. He's perceived as being very intelligent, and smoking just doesn't seem to correlate with this.

Again, it's none of my business, of course. After all, he could be doing much worse things, health-wise!

Because he's addicted to nicotine. All addictions cut through intelligence. I'm sure Neil is well aware of how smoking may have detrimental effects on his health/performance but to quit when you are physically addicted to anything is extremely difficult.

Gilby's been trying to give up for as long as I've known him and before. He's very aware of the risks but that doesn't make things any easier for him.

BodyForWife: welcome to TRF!! bekloppt.gif I really enjoyed your article! Love the Rush lyrics you put in!

Well done applaudit.gif

Well said. Plenty of highly intelligent and methodical people that did drugs or were alchoholics.

The fact that Neil smokes and drinks whiskey a lot has no connection with his intelligence level or how he goes about his music or lyrics.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic