My Interview with Neil Peart for the LA Times

BodyForWife

Rush has been my favorite band for almost 30 years. I had their posters and images cut from magazines plastered all over my walls as a teen, and used Rush lyrics as my high school graduation quote.

A few weeks ago a dream came true for me. I got to interview Neil Peart for 15 minutes before the June 30, 2011 show in Vancouver, BC about his fitness regimen and how he stays in such excellent shape for drumming for my LA Times fitness column. (I live in Calgary, but freelance for LAT.)

My friend and I also got to see the Time Machine show from front row, centre. Never did I think I'd be front row at a Rush concert.

Anyway, as should not be surprising, Neil is a true workout warrior. If you wish to read the column, here it is:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-fitnes...6300,full.story

LA Times made it a centerpiece feature for the health section, with extra photos. It runs on the cover of the health section on Monday, July 25, 2011.

Also, if you wish to see the photo gallery with some pictures of Neil exercising (that is not drumming, I mean), go here:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-fitnes...53.photogallery

I hope you enjoy the piece.

Best regards,

James Fell

www.bodyforwife.com

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me??? seriously? this guys fat and smokes. hes not in shape. he looks terrible... I dont know how smoking and overeating is staying fit.. His drumming has slowed down as a result of it too... is this some kind of joke?? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 09:49 AM)
Are you kidding me??? seriously? this guys fat and smokes. hes not in shape. he looks terrible... I dont know how smoking and overeating is staying fit.. His drumming has slowed down as a result of it too... is this some kind of joke?? ohmy.gif

dazed025.gif did you read the interview before you posted?

QUOTE (BodyForWife @ Jul 24 2011, 09:08 AM)
Rush has been my favorite band for almost 30 years. I had their posters and images cut from magazines plastered all over my walls as a teen, and used Rush lyrics as my high school graduation quote.

A few weeks ago a dream came true for me. I got to interview Neil Peart for 15 minutes before the June 30, 2011 show in Vancouver, BC about his fitness regimen and how he stays in such excellent shape for drumming for my LA Times fitness column. (I live in Calgary, but freelance for LAT.)

My friend and I also got to see the Time Machine show from front row, centre. Never did I think I'd be front row at a Rush concert.

Anyway, as should not be surprising, Neil is a true workout warrior. If you wish to read the column, here it is:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-fitnes...6300,full.story

LA Times made it a centerpiece feature for the health section, with extra photos. It runs on the cover of the health section on Monday, July 25, 2011.

Also, if you wish to see the photo gallery with some pictures of Neil exercising (that is not drumming, I mean), go here:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-fitnes...53.photogallery

I hope you enjoy the piece.

Best regards,

James Fell
www.bodyforwife.com

Wow - that was REALLY great. Thanks for sharing!!!

That was a good article, I really enjoyed it. You know, a lot of people seem to think that Neil Peart looks slow and out of shape these days. I disagree and as this article points out, he is a man who knows what he needs to do to perform is job exceedingly well for his fans. You've got to understand Peart is a very tall, aging man, when you get older you will inevitably gain weight because your metabolism slows down. His weight gain looks magnified because of his large frame, however, that doesn't mean he is not healthy or not in shape. He obviously stays very active.

Again thanks for the article new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 07:49 AM)

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 24 2011, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 09:49 AM)

dazed025.gif did you read the interview before you posted?

sarcasm.gif Hmmm. Lemme get this straight. So, you're asking if...reani..."READ" something BEFORE ranting posting?...about Neil? sarcasm.gif

rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif 2funny.gif z7shysterical.gif

[disclaimer: haven't read article]

James, killer article there man. Thanks for giving us a sneak preview of tomorrow's content. The big guy still has it in him to go the distance. I liked your thoughts on him as a musical Jack LaLanne. cool.gif Good one! 1022.gif

Kudos...

Thank you everyone for the kinds words about the column. I really did write it for the fans first and as a fitness piece second. Hence, the hidden lyrics that non-Rush fans won't even notice.

I actually did not know he was a smoker. I have a keen nose and sat two feet across from him for 15 minutes and didn't even catch a whiff of cigarette smoke. Perhaps he has quit?

James Fell

http://www.bodyforwife.com/

I don't think he is a two pack a day man or anything. As disciplined as he is about everything else in his life he probably limits himself to a few a day. Just a guess.

I also noticed that he has gained weight with age. It happens. I've been running marathons for the last three years. At age 45 it is difficult to drop extra pounds so I have work at it religiously and be very careful with my diet. It is easier to gain than to lose. Despite the extra pounds I can still finish the races and not come in dead last. I keep beating my own personal records so something must be going right.

One should also consider that with age NP may feel a need to carry extra weight so he doesn't break something while playing. I'm only half kidding.

I hope the whole band keeps in shape for the next decade or so and keeps giving us great shows.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jul 24 2011, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 24 2011, 01:36 PM)
now people, Amy wine house was in shape. need i say more!

But Neil's blood type isn't cocaine.

rofl3.gif

But seriously, pretty cool article.

James,

Great article. I'm so happy for you getting to interview Neil. Thank you for posting.

Reani14, please find something else to do with your time than piss me off.