The Best Of The Legendary Ax Men

ILSnwdog

Who is the best Ax Man listed below?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Ax Man listed below?

• Jimi Hendrix
    • David Gilmour
    • Eric Clapton
    • Jimmy Page
    • Eddie Van Halen

Who's the best from the list? Why those five? Because I think those five get the most attention when people walk about the best guitarist in rock.

This is my list:

1) Hendrix

2) LIFESON 2.gif yes.gif applaudit.gif

3) Clapton

4) Page

5) Van Halen

Gilmore shouldnt be on the list,imo.

SRV and Jeff Beck should

be added also..

Edited by go2wrk@95974

C'mon, i cant catalog anything from hendrix at something different than noise, so i go whit gilmour, not because he is the best (because he is not), but beacuse is the only one who can make sound everything he plays perfect, and thats something that not even van halen can do.

Leaving out Tony Iommi, are we?

None of those guys on the list. They didn't invent an entirely new genre of music, OR lose their finger tips to the point of almost unplayable. (Keyword, Tony Iommi played all the solos from the first two Black Sabbath albums with his index and pinky. because his thimbles had worn down and he hadn't made new ones yet.)

So yeah, Tony Iommi.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 18 2011, 11:13 PM)
Leaving out Tony Iommi, are we?

None of those guys on the list. They didn't invent an entirely new genre of music, OR lose their finger tips to the point of almost unplayable. (Keyword, Tony Iommi played all the solos from the first two Black Sabbath albums with his index and pinky. because his thimbles had worn down and he hadn't made new ones yet.)

So yeah, Tony Iommi.

I love Tony but I don't feel he is on the same level of these guys.

Page is great but I'm not a fan of his live work - he was a magician in the studio.

Clapton tended to be great or meh - inconsistent.

Hendrix was just cut too short, not as large an output.

EVH I still have mixed feelings about.

Gilmour, great tone and melody.

Still can;t pick.

Honestly all these guys are so different and it's impossible to choose.

Everyone here except maybe Clapton can run circles around Gilmour, but Gilmour can get any noise he wants from a guitar and cut through your soul. Clapton may be the least virtuistic from the list but he did a lot of feel good stuff and a lot of stuff that made you sad...and it always fit perfectly, capable of getting complete songs from just guitar, unlike any other on the list

Jimmy Page is essential to that 60's and 70's sound, and his blend of blues, metal, and just rocking out could be emotional or kick ass, and in a way only he could produce. There is a reason many think Stairway to Heaven is the best song of all time, so go listen to it without any bias, as if you have never heard it before, and realize it really is good. and that's because of Jimmy's soul.

And Eddie, well, he may be an asshole but he f***ing rocks. He probably rocks harder than anyone on this list and is the cleanest shredder from this list, and obviously inspired millions of other tapping wannabes (even though Hackett did it first tongue.gif )

And Hendrix just blended tons of stuff together and made it sound great, and damn, he could play. A touch of emotion, a touch of rocking out, a touch of madness, and a ton of "playing because I love to play."

So it could go to any of these guys...

But to me, I know many will disagree, but Alex Lifeson has got the qualities of these five guys and many more and he's able to implement them perfectly to make them his own...that's why he's my favorite. Alex is the absolute best of all time IMO. He can do the right amount of anything with a guitar.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 18 2011, 04:51 PM)
Best: Hendrix

Favorite: Gilmour

I am voting favorites on this one.

Same for me but the poll asked for best so I voted Hendrix. I believe him to be the best and the most innovative but Gilmour is my favorite player.

Wondering if maybe Duane and SRV should be on this list too? And I'd like to see Iommi get more recognition though he may be a half step below these other guys. Maybe. Maybe not either.

Edited by driventotheedge

I voted for Hendrix. I probably would have voted for Duane Allman if he had made the list.

Pagey would probably be next. He looses a notch to Jimi due to his slopiness/lack of consistency.

EC switching from Gibsons to Fenders knocked him down as well.

This is one poll where I certainly can't fault anyone's thinking. All good choices.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jul 19 2011, 09:35 AM)
I voted for Hendrix. I probably would have voted for Duane Allman if he had made the list.

Pagey would probably be next. He looses a notch to Jimi due to his slopiness/lack of consistency.

EC switching from Gibsons to Fenders knocked him down as well.

This is one poll where I certainly can't fault anyone's thinking. All good choices.

I actually like Clapton's Fender sound better. I think the single coils are better suited for his soloing style.

How can I choose between an apple, an orange, a pear and a peach? It's obvious SRV grew up on Hendrix, but I really think Vaughn, along with Mark Knopfler, should be included. I know I'll get lambasted for this, but Clapton can be left out. I have a lot of respect for the man/musician and I certainly can't play like him, but he's not quite in this league, imo.

The remarks about Page live are on target, unfortunately, and while Eddie is amazing, of all of these I would want to listen to Gilmour. His fingers have the ability to bring out the soul of his axe like no other.