Greatest bassist of all time, past & present

Babycat

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2011, 12:35 PM)
of the choices listed, I went with Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead 1022.gif

applaudit.gif trink39.gif Gotta love Phil, but I gotta vote for Entwistle.

Jeez, tough call. I wish I had 5 votes, they'd go to Levin, Sheehan, Myung, Claypool, and Squire.

I'm gonna go with Billy Sheehan since I think he'll be the most under stated one on that list. I saw him play live with Steve Vai a couple times, and he's amazing.

From this list I'd have to go with Pastorius as best all around player. If we were looking at pure dexterity and speed it would be either Harris or Squire.

JPJ is another fave of mine. He gets overshadowed by Page, Plant and Bonzo, but he's a phenomenal musician.

I went with Chris Squire.

His playing is phenomenal and powerful, while blending seamlessly with the work of Howe/ Rabin and Kaye/ Wakeman.

The new album comes out July 12th and I am sure Squire will continue his tradition of innovative bass lines fused with rhythms and melodies.

I have to say Jaco Pastorius but I'm very partial to many on your list, including Chris Squire and Billy Sheehan.

I have seen a lot of the people on this list, i gotta go with Billy Sheehan

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jul 10 2011, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2011, 12:35 PM)
of the choices listed, I went with Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead 1022.gif

applaudit.gif trink39.gif Gotta love Phil, but I gotta vote for Entwistle.

Chris Squire was added in as an option after I voted, so if I could do it again it'd be a -1 for Phil Lesh and a +1 for Chris Squire.

I gotta say that as a non-musician, it takes a LOT for a bassist to really stand out for me. Chris Squire is like a force of nature. Yes simply isn't Yes without him.

Ok, not top of the heap, but am I the only one who thinks that Gene Simmons is a really good and underrated bassist? unsure.gif

Jerry Peek.

WHO???!!!

When The Steve Morse Band opened for 2.gif on the PoW tour he had a bass player named Jerry Peek on stage with him. I saw them open for 2.gif twice in New Haven (10th row) and Hartford (3rd row) and was totally blown away by Jerry Peek.

I remember that guy more than any other part of the two shows. The guy was amazing and kept in step note for note with Morse. He was a phenom!!!!

And then he just disappeared. There is very little info on him out there but here are a couple links to see him play.

Cruise Missile, bad video great bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUwO9xkyDnA

Refried Funky Chicken, great vid and sound.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/03/06/st...ith-jerry-peek/

If you get a chance, check out The Steve Morse band record The Introduction which features Jerry Peek.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

Goobs, I get it with the Gene Simmons remark. For a band that was such a hype machine, they could play pretty tight. Simmons had a ballsy, solid, non-flashy sound.

My vote...

Good old JPJ.

To me, he set the template for hard rock and bluesy style playing by 1968-69. Broke a year or two earlier than one of my other all-time faves, Geezer Butler. Listen to the Lemon Song (Zep II).

I also like Mel Schacher (Grand Funk Railroad).

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 12 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 11 2011, 08:17 PM)
Ok, not top of the heap, but am I the only one who thinks that Gene Simmons is a really good and underrated bassist? unsure.gif

Definitely not a soloist! laugh.gif His job is to be the anchor in the band.