"Roll The Bones" Gets The Gold CD Remaster Job!

RUSHHEAD666

You can spray paint a garbage can Gold, but it's still a garbage can

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the other 3 MoFi releases.

I will get this one as well. And yes i do enjoy Roll the Bones. Not a top 10 Rush album for me...but neverless a solid Rush album.

The usual suspects already have posted their disdain of this album. It is the pop side of Rush indeed but it has some classic songs and some cool ideas that I thought shined through better than it's little brother Presto which is one of the most overrated Rush albums among hard core fans.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2011, 05:51 AM)
QUOTE (Scars @ Jun 25 2011, 01:05 PM)
So everyone complains about the production of Presto, RTB and VT, and when one of those three is going to be remastered, it's still not good enough?

I don't care bout the production on RTB, just about songs like:

Face Up

Heresy

Neurotic

You Bet Your Life

Neurotica

Sorry, but as Rush songs go, these re VERY weak. To say the album is spotty is very generous.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lbs have done what, 3 Rush albums so far? And THIS is their choice for number 4? new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Those are all songs they rarely play live. You've only heard those from the poor mastering. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet that "Ghost of a Chance" was on that list before you heard it live. Maybe a proper remastering will breathe life in them for you.

The crisp mix that the album currently has works well for songs with motion rather than depth, like Dreamline, RTB, and Where's My Thing. Conversely, it hurts songs that don't have that motion, like Heresy, Ghost of a Chance, and Neurotica. Those songs depend on warmth and don't have it. Ghost of a Chance particularly needs a MUCH ballsier bass sound, akin to Between The Wheels.

Just what I think. trink36.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 27 2011, 12:34 PM)
You can spray paint a garbage can Gold, but it's still a garbage can

This is the best way to put this. Excellent!

Like it or not, Roll the Bones is one of the best selling albums Rush has ever done...so it's really not a surprise they're doing this one.

Also, I like the fact they are doing it for one of the crappiest SOUNDING albums Rush has ever done. Frankly I didn't think Moving Pictures could sound any better so doing the fidelity treatment on that one was a waste. But with Roll the Bones, there is a LOT of room for improvement!

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 27 2011, 02:25 PM)
Like it or not, Roll the Bones is one of the best selling albums Rush has ever done...so it's really not a surprise they're doing this one.

Curious where you're getting you info from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_discography

Sure, RTB went platinum in the US, but so did Fly By Night, AFTK, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Signals, GUP and Power Windows.....not to mention numerous live albums by the band.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 27 2011, 02:34 PM)

Sure, RTB went platinum in the US, but so did Fly By Night, AFTK, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Signals, GUP and Power Windows.....not to mention numerous live albums by the band.

But RTB reached #3 on the US charts, I believe. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 27 2011, 03:07 PM)

Britney Spears albums go to #1 , does not mean they are good

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 27 2011, 03:12 PM)

This is about popularity, not quality. The two have no correlation.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 27 2011, 03:28 PM)

Spears albums suck and so does RTB, there is your correlation .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 27 2011, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 27 2011, 03:28 PM)

Spears albums suck and so does RTB, there is your correlation .

I'm just saying that RTB did go to #3 and it sold a lot of albums so maybe that's why they chose it. And I'm not saying I agree, either. From the 90s, I would have chosen Presto to release in this format. (I know Presto was in 1989, but I consider it a 90s album based on style.)

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 27 2011, 08:56 PM)
I love Roll The Bones

The album gets waaayyy to much hate IMO

Its Rush showing their groovier funky side. Well maybe it helps that I love funk and R&B

The grooves on Face Up, Neurotica, Where's My Thing, and RTB are fantastic

trink39.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

Keep posting dude!

A strange choice for sure. I'm sure most of us would have opted for Hemispheres, Farewell or even Grace.

I wonder if they have opted for this title now because some of the other albums are due for the so-called 'Deluxe Edition' remaster series that started with Moving Pictures. If those are staggered, then it could be a while before they get around to Roll the Bones?

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jun 27 2011, 11:03 AM)
So everyone complains about the production of Presto, RTB and VT, and when one of those three is going to be remastered, it's still not good enough?

Face Up

Heresy

Neurotic

You Bet Your Life

Neurotica

Sorry, but as Rush songs go, these re VERY weak. To say the album is spotty is very generous.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lbs have done what, 3 Rush albums so far? And THIS is their choice for number 4? new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Those are all songs they rarely play live. You've only heard those from the poor mastering. Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet that "Ghost of a Chance" was on that list before you heard it live. Maybe a proper remastering will breathe life in them for you.

Yeah, but will proper remastering suddenly make the lyrics better? tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 28 2011, 08:39 PM)

Face Up

Heresy

Neurotic

You Bet Your Life

Neurotica

Cutesy lyrics don't suit Peart.

I can't say that I like any of those songs. 1 is passable (me being generous), 1 I despise, the others I don't like.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 28 2011, 05:21 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 28 2011, 08:39 PM)

Face Up

Heresy

Neurotic

You Bet Your Life

Neurotica

Cutesy lyrics don't suit Peart.

I can't say that I like any of those songs. 1 is passable (me being generous), 1 I despise, the others I don't like.

I just realized I wrote Neurotic and later Neurotica blush4.gif

Where I put Neurotic, that should have been The Big Wheel.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lbs have done what, 3 Rush albums so far? And THIS is their choice for number 4?

just an FYI, G

Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity: two separate companies

MF

"...in 2001 the company's assets were acquired the audiophile products company Music Direct, of Chicago, operated by Jim Davis. Music Direct now owns rights to the technology used in the proprietary mastering chain and all intellectual property owned by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab."

AF

"...the name Audio Fidelity Records was licensed to Morada Enterprises, who currently release specialty CDs under the label."

How many more remasters do there need to be? One should be enough.

I'm glad I'm not that much of an audiophile. I'd hate to be buying five more remasters of the same album.

I prefer "Presto" over "Roll the Bones", but RTB has some good tunes on it except the title track and its humorless rap and You Bet Your Life with the nerdy spoken word section.

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 27 2011, 11:56 PM)
I love Roll The Bones

The album gets waaayyy to much hate IMO

Its Rush showing their groovier funky side. Well maybe it helps that I love funk and R&B

The grooves on Face Up, Neurotica, Where's My Thing, and RTB are fantastic

goodpost.gif