Giving HYF another shot

Rush Cocky

OK......I just went out and got the 1997 remaster (I have been without this album for about a year). I'm trying to give it another shot.

I have to admit there is some exceptional writing on this album, and some very good drumming. So Neil did his part for sure.

But GAWD......ALL THAT SYNTH...... 062802puke_prv.gif

That and the thin sounding production, just ruins it for me. What could have potentially been a top 10 Rush album is done for with all that.

The heavy keyboards is like sitting down to eat a fine steak smothered in ketchup. IT JUST DIDN'T NEED THAT! no.gif

But hey.....the remaster DOES sound better then the original, so I'll give it that.

No. Don't do it, look away and run like hell . Your ears will thank me for it later

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 20 2011, 05:21 PM)
No. Don't do it, look away and run like hell . Your ears will thank me for it later

rofl3.gif

Too late!

The drum riffs at the end of Lock and Key are pretty kickass, I had forgotten about that.

Like I said, Neil most definitely did his part on Hold Your Fire, and so that keeps this one a good distance from the cellar.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 20 2011, 04:24 PM)

The drum riffs at the end of Lock and Key are pretty kickass, I had forgotten about that.

I do really like that song and Neil kicks ass on it. After that, it's a Beer coaster all the way

Despite the synth-heavy arrangments, HYF is still a really good sounding album with some great songwriting/lyrics/melodies/playing.

That being said, I don't understand Geddy saying in one of the books, I think it's Contents Under Pressure, that HYF was the "perfect balance of keyboards and guitar" compared to Power Windows or Signals. Is he listening to the same album as us?? HYF has layers upon layers of keyboards, synths, triggered effects etc etc on almost every track, more so than any other Rush album in the history of the band! fing.gif biggrin.gif HYF is nothing BUT keyboard/synth heavy songs with thin sounding guitar mixed somewhere in the background on most tracks.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 20 2011, 05:35 PM)
Ketchup goes with everything. That includes steaks & HYF because just like steaks HYF is awesome and medium rare red.

All that subliminal red.......so THAT'S where I got the ketchup for my analogy from! laugh.gif

By the way.....I think Tai Shan is one of the better tracks on this album. yes.gif

Edited to also say: I like High Water a lot also! At least the synth is not quite so overwhelming on this track! Plus a lot more guitar! And Neil's drumming is also excellent on this one.

Edited by Rush Cocky

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 20 2011, 05:41 PM)
The bass playing in particular is Ace! Probably Geddy's top bass album...

Shame that the bass sound was particularly hideous. 062802puke_prv.gif

But I agree with you about the playing itself.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 20 2011, 03:38 PM)
HYF is nothing BUT keyboard/synth heavy songs with thin sounding guitar mixed somewhere in the background on most tracks.

Actually, it has surprisingly few keyboards, if you really listen for them. It just sounds like there are more, because everything has about three layers of echoes and filters slathered on top of it.

Edited by StellarJetman

Never understood all the hate for the synths. To me it just gives the album more depth and atmosphere. I could never imagine Force Ten without the fast synth runs at 2:13 - it frikin makes the song!! 1022.gif

For PoW and HYF I consider the synth to be just as important instrument as the guitar, even if the production on the latter is a little thin sounding at times. It's almost like they had another member! I'd love it if they started using more synths/electronics again, though it seems somewhat unlikely now. I'm not expecting a lot of agreement on this one. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 20 2011, 02:19 PM)
OK......I just went out and got the 1997 remaster (I have been without this album for about a year).  I'm trying to give it another shot.

I have to admit there is some exceptional writing on this album, and some very good drumming.  So Neil did his part for sure.

and MY GOD.......ALL THAT SYNTH!! biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  1022.gif  common001.gif  applaudit.gif

Fixed. wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 20 2011, 04:41 PM)
I like the album it's just the last two tracks that are a bit duff...

Agreed! Geddy's on fire on this record. Synths don't bother me that much because the bass is exceptional. One of his best vocal performances as well. If they only kept that 8 song 40 minute format...the album would have been flawless. I can hear the album ending with the outro to Mission. Prime Mover would have fit in nicely after Lock and Key

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jun 20 2011, 06:44 PM)
I usually listen to the first 8 tracks and not the last 2. The production is thin so I up the bass somewhat. I agree the drums are terrific but the synths are just too much.

like many others have said, HYF would've been much better overall if they never recorded the last two tracks. I think in my whole Rush-fan career which started around 1991, I've only listened to High Water and/or Tai Shan all the way through maybe a total of 5 times. Even when I was getting into the band I knew these songs were filler. Same for Second Nature, this song is also too wussy.

Speaking as one who likes every Rush song, I'll just say HYF is one of my two least favorites. Some of the songs aren't exactly the most exciting and energetic they've ever done and the balance is shifted too much towards a musically lighter sounding album. The great songs are Prime Mover, Turn The Page, Mission, Lock And Key, Time Stand Still.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jun 20 2011, 10:28 PM)
Speaking as one who likes every Rush song, I'll just say HYF is one of my two least favorites. Some of the songs aren't exactly the most exciting and energetic they've ever done and the balance is shifted too much towards a musically lighter sounding album. The great songs are Prime Mover, Turn The Page, Mission, Lock And Key, Time Stand Still.

goodpost.gif I wub.gif Time Stand Still.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 20 2011, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jun 20 2011, 10:28 PM)

goodpost.gif I wub.gif Time Stand Still.

Time Stand Still is probably the strongest song off of HYF. I think it's a better song than Force Ten.

The problem with HYF is that a most of the songs have some strong parts in them, but then other parts of the same song are dreck. It's as if they couldn't string together the "Rush Sauce" for a whole song.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 20 2011, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 20 2011, 05:35 PM)
Ketchup goes with everything. That includes steaks & HYF because just like steaks HYF is awesome and medium rare red.

All that subliminal red.......so THAT'S where I got the ketchup for my analogy from! laugh.gif

By the way.....I think Tai Shan is one of the better tracks on this album. yes.gif

Edited to also say: I like High Water a lot also! At least the synth is not quite so overwhelming on this track! Plus a lot more guitar! And Neil's drumming is also excellent on this one.

ohmy.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/funny-pictures-your-cats-evil-plan-.jpg

laugh.gif

Glad you gave it another chance.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 20 2011, 02:43 PM)

Hey Cock N Duck!

The bass playing on "Turn The Page" says it all.

While this album is heavy synth, I love it.

Neil does save the album as Alex has taken most of the record off.

However, I love his playing on "Tai Shan."

Might be a weak song to most, but to my ears I tune into that guitar.

Fuckking fantastic.

I love "High Water" too. Once again Neil saves the day with that drum pattern.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 21 2011, 03:14 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 20 2011, 02:43 PM)

Hey Cock N Duck!

The bass playing on "Turn The Page" says it all.

While this album is heavy synth, I love it.

Neil does save the album as Alex has taken most of the record off.

However, I love his playing on "Tai Shan."

Might be a weak song to most, but to my ears I tune into that guitar.

Fuckking fantastic.

I love "High Water" too. Once again Neil saves the day with that drum pattern.

trink39.gif

1022.gif

I like it more now than I used too. With such a long career and so many albums you can just journey through the whole thing and stop and listen to whatever you are in the mood for.

I heard an interview where Geddy said that his parts were finished first and so Alex had to find places to fit in. I think it was a Rockline interview so it may exist out there somewhere.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 21 2011, 08:05 AM)
I heard an interview where Geddy said that his parts were finished first and so Alex had to find places to fit in. I think it was a Rockline interview so it may exist out there somewhere.

yes.gif

That sounds EXACTLY how it was recorded. Unfortunately.

I'm just wrapping up listening to it again, and while I can appreciate the album a lot more, it's not really enough to move it up on my list of Rush albums. The stuff above it is just too strong. Hence it remains 14th out of 18 for me. Or 19, if you count Feedback.

Test for Echo proves that you can have no synthesizers and produce some of the most boring music.

In other words, synths don't make or break a good album.