The Official Mike Portnoy Thread

Tick

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Aug 19 2011, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 19 2011, 06:30 PM)
Do you really think Neal Peart is a better drummer then Mike Portnoy?
He absolutely is not. no.gif

I'm a guitar player who fiddles around on Roland V-Drums in my music room, so I don't know who's technically "better."

But Neil has always seemed more of a musician, while Mike is more of a drummer.

If I could jam with one or the other, it would definitely be Neil. Not just for nostalgia, I'd be more interested to see what he would come up with.

Here's the thing and I'm not trying to disrespect Neal when I say this.

Back in the 70's and 80's Neil was breaking new ground in progressive music and his drumming was superb. He is an all time great, but the bottom line is there are many guys today as talented or more talented then Neil was and is.

I'm not dissing him but many drummers are as good as Neil including Mike Portnoy.

That's just reality.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 20 2011, 01:53 PM)

I'm a guitar player who fiddles around on Roland V-Drums in my music room, so I don't know who's technically "better."

If I could jam with one or the other, it would definitely be Neil. Not just for nostalgia, I'd be more interested to see what he would come up with.

Back in the 70's and 80's Neil was breaking new ground in progressive music and his drumming was superb. He is an all time great, but the bottom line is there are many guys today as talented or more talented then Neil was and is.

I'm not dissing him but many drummers are as good as Neil including Mike Portnoy.

That's just reality.

No, that's your opinion.

That's just reality.

Well said and very true

That's just reality.

Now you've told us about reality Ticky how about balancing it out by telling us some fantasy??

cool10.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 21 2011, 04:41 PM)

That's just reality.

Now you've told us about reality Ticky how about balancing it out by telling us some fantasy??

cool10.gif

goodpost.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Aug 21 2011, 07:01 PM)

That's just reality.

cool10.gif

goodpost.gif cool10.gif

You guys are stoned, not me. Neil Peart is a dime a dozen in 2011.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 21 2011, 08:10 PM)

That's just reality.

cool10.gif

goodpost.gif cool10.gif

a dime a dozen and an asshole.....he doesn't have much going for him these days.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 21 2011, 11:28 PM)

That's just reality.

cool10.gif

goodpost.gif cool10.gif

a dime a dozen and an asshole.....he doesn't have much going for him these days.... laugh.gif

I mean really, of coarse he is still a great drummer, but its not like he's light years better then the worlds top drummers. He is one of many who share the same level of talent.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 21 2011, 09:36 PM)

That's just reality.

cool10.gif

goodpost.gif cool10.gif

I mean really, of coarse he is still a great drummer, but its not like he's light years better then the worlds top drummers. He is one of many who share the same level of talent.

I agree...

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 21 2011, 10:46 PM)

That's just reality.

cool10.gif

goodpost.gif cool10.gif

I agree...

How many modern drummer's can play portnoy parts?...a musicians greatness is judged by his body of work, not on how many guys on youtube can pull off his parts.

If anyone can find a copy of last months Guitar World with those asshats from Avenged Sevenfold on the cover , it seems Portnoy Priced [$$ ] himself out of the band . The guitar player said something about that "Portnoy makes too much money and we could not afford him" So much for him joining the band for the money laugh.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 22 2011, 03:01 PM)
i read that MP is shooting a video with Peart and Bozzio today. then he flies to rock in rio to play a one time gig with stone sour. the guy stays busy thats for sure.

Why is he doing a video with Peart and Bozzio? What's the point? I saw a video of Neil jamming with Bozzio. It was ludicrous. Neil has no idea how to jam and improvise. Whenever he tries to, it goes nowhere.

bumper.gif

Mike posted on facebook that the Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPherson project is called "Flying Colors" and the album will be out in March. The name is almost as bad as Adrenaline Mob but hopefully the album will be good. Supposedly its going to be more pop rock orientated with some prog thrown in.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Aug 22 2011, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 21 2011, 10:46 PM)

That's just reality.

cool10.gif

goodpost.gif cool10.gif

I agree...

How many modern drummer's can play portnoy parts?...a musicians greatness is judged by his body of work, not on how many guys on youtube can pull off his parts.

Mike Portnoy is one of the most repetitive drummers ever. His unique playing style is his biggest fault. He rehashes everything.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 13 2011, 07:35 PM)
bumper.gif

Mike posted on facebook that the Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPherson project is called "Flying Colors" and the album will be out in March. The name is almost as bad as Adrenaline Mob but hopefully the album will be good. Supposedly its going to be more pop rock orientated with some prog thrown in.

With Christian lyrics?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 14 2011, 02:51 AM)
bumper.gif

With Christian lyrics?

Gosh I didn't think about that ohmy.gif

I hope not! The lyrics are the worst thing about Transatlantic.

QUOTE (Soni @ Nov 13 2011, 07:58 PM)
bumper.gif

With Christian lyrics?

If the music is good then that's all that matters for me. Plus Neal's lyrics are a lot better than the average Christian rock band's lyrics.

QUOTE (Soni @ Nov 13 2011, 08:58 PM)
bumper.gif

With Christian lyrics?

The lyrics are great in Transatlantic! Love them big time! 1022.gif

Much better then Neil Pearts suck ass lyrics these days. atickhum.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Nov 13 2011, 06:46 PM)
Mike Portnoy is one of the most repetitive drummers ever. His unique playing style is his biggest fault. He rehashes everything.

Much like Peart's drum solo's for the last 20 years

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 14 2011, 10:58 AM)

True dat.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 14 2011, 09:58 AM)

I don't know much about drumming, but one adjective I would NEVER use for Portnoy is repetitive. He was the mastermind of all the changes in setlists in his career with Dream Theater, pushed for longer and longer tours and 3 hour shows, and even took care of the screen projections during concerts, which actually changed from night to night. Then, when he left Dream Theater, he's chosen to work with a variety of artists, and has so many side projects now that even his die hard fans (myself included) lose track of what he's up to. He may or may not be repetitive with his drumming - I doubt that he is, anyway - but you could never acuse him of being satisfied with doing "business as usual". He's always pushing for new ideas and new ways to please the fans.

I think the band with John Sykes is going to be great. When it comes out ? I have no idea

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Nov 14 2011, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 14 2011, 09:58 AM)

I don't know much about drumming, but one adjective I would NEVER use for Portnoy is repetitive. He was the mastermind of all the changes in setlists in his career with Dream Theater, pushed for longer and longer tours and 3 hour shows, and even took care of the screen projections during concerts, which actually changed from night to night. Then, when he left Dream Theater, he's chosen to work with a variety of artists, and has so many side projects now that even his die hard fans (myself included) lose track of what he's up to. He may or may not be repetitive with his drumming - I doubt that he is, anyway - but you could never acuse him of being satisfied with doing "business as usual". He's always pushing for new ideas and new ways to please the fans.

goodpost.gif Haters will Always Hate.