The Official Mike Portnoy Thread

Tick

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 24 2012, 08:53 PM)
http://www.metalinsider.net/metal-musical-...snake-guitarist

The bass player was going to be Billy Sheehan and they're already working with another guitarist/singer.

...and it's Ritchie Kotzen!!!! I have to say I'm more than happy with the change. It's like when you're expecting a Honda Civic, then they replace it with a Ferrari.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 24 2012, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 24 2012, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 24 2012, 03:56 PM)

am i wrong there and did ADTOE outsell BCSL?

When it came out Bcsl sold about 10,000 more than when the new one came put. Bcsl also charted higher.

trink39.gif

tell you what, i will shit a brick as will MP if DT wins a grammy! that would be too funny. 1287.gif

Maybe Kanye West will rush the podium and say Mangini's a good drummer and all, but this award should go to Portnoy.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jan 25 2012, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 24 2012, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 24 2012, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 24 2012, 03:56 PM)

am i wrong there and did ADTOE outsell BCSL?

When it came out Bcsl sold about 10,000 more than when the new one came put. Bcsl also charted higher.

trink39.gif

tell you what, i will shit a brick as will MP if DT wins a grammy! that would be too funny. 1287.gif

Maybe Kanye West will rush the podium and say Mangini's a good drummer and all, but this award should go to Portnoy.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 24 2012, 08:53 PM)
http://www.metalinsider.net/metal-musical-...snake-guitarist

The bass player was going to be Billy Sheehan and they're already working with another guitarist/singer.

Kotzen is a great guitar player but I'm not keen on his voice. He can sing ok for a guitarist but he's not a singer.

Link

Mike Portnoy's Flying Colors: Debut Album Track Listing Revealed
artist: flying colors  date: 01/30/2012  category: upcoming releases

According to Blabbermouth.net, Mascot Label Group has announced the release of the eponymous debut album from Flying Colors - the spectacular new virtuoso prog/pop/metal rock band formed by drummer Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater) and guitarist Steve Morse (Deep Purple). The CD will be made available via Music Theories Recordings in the U.K. on Monday, March 26, followed by a U.S. release on Tuesday, March 27.

Flying Colors is Mike Portnoy (drums, vocals), Dave LaRue (bass), Neal Morse (keyboards, vocals), Casey McPherson (lead vocals, guitar), and Steve Morse (lead guitar).

"This album has bits and pieces of what you'd expect from each of us," says Portnoy. "The sum of all its parts led to brand new, unchartered territory for everyone involved."

"Flying Colors" track listing:

01. Blue Ocean
02. Shoulda Coulda Woulda
03. Love Is What I'm Waiting For
04. The Storm
05. Kayla
06. Forever In A Daze
07. Everything Changes
08. Better Than Walking
09. All Falls Down
10. Fool In My Heart
11. Infinite Fire

The formation of Flying Colors began with a simple idea: virtuoso musicians and a pop singer joining together to make new-fashioned music the old-fashioned way. Refreshing, classic, old and new, the recordings are saturated with the many styles, tones and hues of the players who in becoming a band have delivered a unique fusion of vintage craftsmanship and contemporary music.

In 2008, executive producer Bill Evans brought the idea to the world-renowned musicians and producer Peter Collins. Intrigued by the idea and the prospect of working together, the four musicians signed on to form a band and record a first album.

Steve Morse and Dave LaRue have developed magical music chemistry over the years that began early in their careers as partners in DIXIE DREGS. In 1995, Morse subsequently became a member of Deep Purple, while LaRue's ongoing musical adventures include Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, Steve Vai, and the aforementioned Portnoy.

Multi-instrumentalist, composer and singer Neal Morse is one of the leading figures in progressive rock, whose notoriety follows his co-founding of the seminal band, Spock's Beard in 1995, recordings as a solo artist, and contributions to the super-group Transatlantic.

Mike Portnoy is one of the most popular and respected drummers in both metal and rock, and an accomplished writer and producer. He is the recipient of numerous industry accolades, including 26 Modern Drummer awards, Revolver magazine's Golden God award for "Best Drummer" and Drum magazine's "Drummer Of The Year". He rose to prominence as the leader, drummer, producer, and co-writer for metal/prog juggernaut Dream Theater, before moving on in 2010. That same year, he worked on Avenged Sevenfold's #1 album "Nightmare" and their subsequent tour.

It was Portnoy who recommended Alpha Rev's emotive singer Casey McPherson as a contender to join Flying Colors. McPherson, whose 2010 Hollywood/Disney album "New Morning" debuted in the Top 5 on two Billboard charts, enjoyed major success at radio with multiple hits. The track "New Morning" spent 17 weeks in the Top 10 on Triple A Radio, and enjoyed a run on VH1's Top 20 Countdown for months. Steve Morse offers, "Casey was a glorious find, because he could make anything sound fantastic, and is a multitalented like the others."

Flying Colors convened for just nine days in early 2011, and composed and recorded this album during a short and intense session.

"It was quite an experience," recalls Dave LaRue. "The band moved at a fast pace, ideas flying around the room at all times. Sections of tunes were arranged, and then re-arranged. Ideas were tried every which way until we made them work, or, in some cases, discarded them altogether. Just keeping track of everything was a challenge! The album is filled with trial and triumph. It's been an inspiring challenge melding folk, prog, pop, and metal all into one big recording."

Touring plans for Flying Colors will be announced in the coming months.

According to Randy George, he is working with Mike and Neal on 2 new albums. Mike already confirmed that they are writing for the new Neal Morse album, so its kind of odd that they are writing a second album as well.

Mike also posted on Facebook that he has 4 things brewing that he'll be announcing soon. My guess is that they'll be the official announcement of Kotzen as Sykes replacement, the names of the new Adrenaline Mob members, the second album with George/Morse, and a new project with Sherinian, Sheehan, & MacAlpine.

I wish he would just join Fates Warning. He would get their lazy ass's in the studio and on the road.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2012, 10:33 AM)
I wish he would just join Fates Warning. He would get their lazy ass's in the studio and on the road.

That would be cool, but would the band dig Portnoy's boisterous style after being used to the 5-pc drumset economics their drummer utilized?

I, myself, think it would work. It would also bring visibility to FW for a change.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 3 2012, 10:53 AM)

That would be cool, but would the band dig Portnoy's boisterous style after being used to the 5-pc drumset economics their drummer utilized?

I, myself, think it would work. It would also bring visibility to FW for a change.

goodpost.gif

I think it would work. He is very good friends with them and has played with them before. The drumming on the first few FW albums is progressive and right up his ally. The last few albums from FW are very good/ great but much more Relaxed drumming. He can give that band a kick in their lazy ass. I just don't know if they would make enough money for him. That was another big problem he had with A7x , so says their guitar player

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2012, 11:13 AM)

goodpost.gif

I think it would work. He is very good friends with them and has played with them before. The drumming on the first few FW albums is progressive and right up his ally. The last few albums from FW are very good/ great but much more Relaxed drumming. He can give that band a kick in their lazy ass. I just don't know if they would make enough money for him. That was another big problem he had with A7x , so says their guitar player

You aint gonna believe this, Metaldad!! haha

ATTN TRF: METALDAD IS A PSYCHIC! yes.gif

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=169193

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 3 2012, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 3 2012, 11:13 AM)

goodpost.gif

You aint gonna believe this, Metaldad!! haha

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=169193

I just read that laugh.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 7 2012, 03:39 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawBqG9BW5I
I hope Randy George was right when he said that this is some of Neil's best drumming. 1022.gif

Morse said the same thing, I am sure he kicks ass on this album

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 7 2012, 04:39 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawBqG9BW5I
I hope Randy George was right when he said that this is some of Neil's best drumming. 1022.gif

I didn't even hear them talk about Neil.

tongue.gif

The Bass player from Disturbed is now in Adrenaline Mob

Fanfuckintastic cheer.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 8 2012, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 8 2012, 12:53 PM)

laugh.gif

it seems like a shrewd move? it seems that those who like AM are stoked over at the mp forum.

i listened to one of their songs and it was better than the demo in terms of production IMO but still not my cup of tea.

QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 8 2012, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 8 2012, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 8 2012, 12:53 PM)

laugh.gif

it seems like a shrewd move? it seems that those who like AM are stoked over at the mp forum.

i listened to one of their songs and it was better than the demo in terms of production IMO but still not my cup of tea.

I heard a sample from the new album and didn't like it so I won't bother with the album. I think they want a hit single really badly, so getting the guy from Disturbed may give them some name recognition.

Transatlantic is going to be recording again! Mike Portnoy said in an interview with Classic Rock Presents Prog that they are going to find time in their schedules to record this year. I hope they can top The Whirlwind. So we have a new Morse solo album, Flying Colors, a cover album, and Transatlantic. This is going to be a great year for Mike and Neal.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 28 2012, 08:34 PM)
Transatlantic is going to be recording again! Mike Portnoy said in an interview with Classic Rock Presents Prog that they are going to find time in their schedules to record this year. I hope they can top The Whirlwind. So we have a new Morse solo album, Flying Colors, a cover album, and Transatlantic. This is going to be a great year for Mike and Neal.

yeah, they stay busy. i read that neal is writing material for the new spocks beard too.