What does everyone think of Hold Your Fire?

cygnus_thegodofbalance

I really don't know why High Water takes so much heat. It's got that really cool groove that fits well with the rest of the album. I think it's placement might be off with it being the last song. It would have fit better with the other upbeat songs like Prime Mover.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jun 8 2011, 02:21 PM)
I really don't know why High Water takes so much heat. It's got that really cool groove that fits well with the rest of the album. I think it's placement might be off with it being the last song. It would have fit better with the other upbeat songs like Prime Mover.

I agree

I find High Water is mostly maligned because of its proximity to Tai Shan and the fact that (as I and others have mentioned in this thread) Turn The Page 'is' the actual album closer

17 and working at Camelot records and tapes (remember them!) I played the promo cassette every single time I worked. My co-workers would say "hide the Rush Michael is here!". I turned so many people onto Rush while that album would play in the store. Songs like Mission and Time Stand Still really turned peoples ears up and they would ask who is this? I would tell them Rush and they would answer "you mean Tom Sawyer Rush?"

Yep.

They were blown away that 3 guys were making this lush sound. I told them yeah and they do it live to boot.

One of my favorite albums by them. A truly ambitious record (the last one in my book that really pushed the boundries of their ever expanding sonic landscape). Yeah really good stuff followed (CP, Snakes) but they really went for it on Hold Your Fire.

Alex had a great sound for the album. My only slight gripe was I really did not like how his sound transended live...not because of how the new material sounded (Power Windows and HYF) but how it really downgraded all their previous work. Their older stuff really took a turn for the worse live during that period and I can see why the HYF tour was dominated by the synth era stuff. La Villa although tight was razor thin. It was not very "Rush" like.

Same for all the other classics ...just no balls with that Signature guitar and oodles of digital racks and delays.

Studio wise a great production, fantastic songs, amazing lyrics, Neils drums were bombastic, Geddy was silky smooth on the bass and his vocals may be the very best on this album.

Watching them perform Turn the Page live was one of the best and most challenging things I think I have ever seen them pull off.

And the great thing is Mission sounded so friggin good on the Snakes Tour. Meaty!!! So this stuff can be played today with their signature thicker sound (particulary Alex and his Gibsons). On R-30 Force 10 sounded the best it ever had. Time Stand Still also was strong on the TM tour.

I hope we get more from HYF next tour (Lock and Key or Mission again would be fine by me).

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 8 2011, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jun 8 2011, 02:21 PM)

I agree

I find High Water is mostly maligned because of its proximity to Tai Shan and the fact that (as I and others have mentioned in this thread) Turn The Page 'is' the actual album closer

LOL. I am one of the few who really digs Tai Shan for what it is. A very experimental and visual piece of music.

By no means a great song in their catalog. But I love when Rush over reaches. Sometimes it turns out great (Countdown, Cold Fire, Tai Shan, Roll the Bones) sometimes it does not (Madrigal, Rivendell). They were so out of their proverbal "box" that at first when I heard it I could not believe it was them. After numerous listens and some good cool10.gif it all came together and the visual I get with the music and the words...it is magical.

I remember being emotional when they played "Mission" on the Snakes and Arrows tour. It was the first time in like 20 years since they played it (as far as I know).

I remember in late August of 1987, my local rock station was playing some of the tunes in advance of the release. Those were "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", "Mission", and "Turn the Page". I was so looking forward to going to buy it.

People were still buying vinyl then. And I remember that the album stood out in the bin because of it's brilliant red cover. It was shockingly different from all their other covers that nobody would have even thought it was going to be anything like it was.

I know some people consider it a boring cover, but that brilliant red stood out. And because of that brilliant red, the cover didn't need a lot of images on it.

The other big thing was being surprised that Rush had broken the pattern of 8 songs per album. I had been a fan since Signals so it was great to see that they had 10 songs instead of 8.

Also, Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" was also released that day. Two weeks later, Yes' "Big Generator" was released.

So the local rock station was playing a lot of great new material in advance of release. 1987 was a great year for so-called "classic rock" bands and new releases. Others included Grateful Dead's new album (can't remember the title and Aerosmith's "Permanent Vacation" and U2's "Joshua Tree".

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 8 2011, 06:18 AM)
I don't hate Tai Shan or High Water like some, but if they had been left off HYF, you're looking at arguably one of the most consistent Rush albums from start-to-finish with tracks 1-8. Not a weak note.

While I do think they're pretty bad songs (Tai Shan especially, but both that and High Water), I do agree wholeheartedly otherwise. Had those two songs been left off, this is easily a top 3 or 4 Rush album. The first 8 songs are perfection. yes.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 8 2011, 02:57 PM)
I remember being emotional when they played "Mission" on the Snakes and Arrows tour. It was the first time in like 20 years since they played it (as far as I know).

I remember in late August of 1987, my local rock station was playing some of the tunes in advance of the release. Those were "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still", "Mission", and "Turn the Page". I was so looking forward to going to buy it.

People were still buying vinyl then. And I remember that the album stood out in the bin because of it's brilliant red cover. It was shockingly different from all their other covers that nobody would have even thought it was going to be anything like it was.

I know some people consider it a boring cover, but that brilliant red stood out. And because of that brilliant red, the cover didn't need a lot of images on it.

The other big thing was being surprised that Rush had broken the pattern of 8 songs per album. I had been a fan since Signals so it was great to see that they had 10 songs instead of 8.

Also, Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" was also released that day. Two weeks later, Yes' "Big Generator" was released.

So the local rock station was playing a lot of great new material in advance of release. 1987 was a great year for so-called "classic rock" bands and new releases. Others included Grateful Dead's new album (can't remember the title and Aerosmith's "Permanent Vacation" and U2's "Joshua Tree".

Thanks for the reminder...it's also my favorite album cover. I love that red and the simplicity of it.

And also, my wife & I named our production company Mission Multimedia. So, yeah, I guess we both like the album a lot.

Im sorry I love everything Rush has done but High Water and Thai Shan should have been left off this gem, cause I LOVE every other song on this album. Signals to Hold Your Fire were all amazing albums and the light 80's sounds are usually made up for with heavy bass playing by Ged and Alex saving songs such as Grand Designs with his solos laugh.gif Edited by GeddyLeeFender

It's 5th for me only after PoW, GUP, Signals, and MP (can you tell I'm one of those ladies from the '80's)? Yes, there are times where I say "where's Alex?", but that's it's only real failing. Lock and Key was one of the songs my high school friend introduced me to, and one I'd really love to hear live. Turn The Page is one of the first Rush songs I picked to listen to after I'd been to my first show and wanted to discover the rest of their catalog that I didn't already know. I was so into it that I instantly got up and danc...er, rocked out to it tongue.gif

Yes, I even like Tai Shan and High Water (which has lyrics in much the same vein as those of a fave of another band I like).

I also see I'm no longer the only board member to love Second Nature - I love singing that one.

It's nice to see other Tai Shan fans coming out of the woodwork biggrin.gif

Here's the thing about Tai Shan, for me: First of all, the lyrics are very evocative. I can picture the scene clearly and easily put myself in the "picture." And I have felt that very thing - a place "singing" to me, revealing itself. It's lovely that Neil could put that feeling into words. And then those words are set to brilliant music. The keyboard sound, imitating a xindi, sounds wonderful. The guitar sound that Alex chose sounds like a ruan or pipa, which is perfect. The percussion is also perfect. Ged's vocal is beautiful and smooth. No, it's not a rocking song. But it's only fair to judge it on its merits rather than comparing it to other Rush songs. IMO

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 9 2011, 09:54 AM)

Here's the thing about Tai Shan, for me: First of all, the lyrics are very evocative. I can picture the scene clearly and easily put myself in the "picture." And I have felt that very thing - a place "singing" to me, revealing itself. It's lovely that Neil could put that feeling into words. And then those words are set to brilliant music. The keyboard sound, imitating a xindi, sounds wonderful. The guitar sound that Alex chose sounds like a ruan or pipa, which is perfect. The percussion is also perfect. Ged's vocal is beautiful and smooth. No, it's not a rocking song. But it's only fair to judge it on its merits rather than comparing it to other Rush songs. IMO

Thank you. Tai Shan = common001.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 7 2011, 08:27 PM)
At first, I hated it. Now, I think it's one of Rush most consistent albums. I love it.

This seems to happen to quite a few of 2.gif 's records in my case. That was even the case with GUP the first 2.gif record I bought but it grew and grew for me.

HYF I liked from the get go. DC 101 in DC played the entire album the night before it's release the next day. I recorded it and just last week I found that cassette tape...which I accidently recorded over parts of it. It was still cool to hear the broadcast in between songs from way back when. It got me ready for the tour of which I saw 3 times.

A very underrrated album I still love today, red is my least favorite color but every time I see this HYF cover it's a lovely site to see. tongue.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 9 2011, 03:54 AM)

Here's the thing about Tai Shan, for me: First of all, the lyrics are very evocative. I can picture the scene clearly and easily put myself in the "picture."

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The lyrics are a disgrace. Whenever I try to listen to the song, I find my mind completely focused on something other than the song. The only thing that brings me back is when he songs "china sang to me," and that's just because it makes me wince in pain, realizing that my favorite band actually wrote this song.

I'll stick with Rivendell, thanks.

HYF: great lyrically, good musically.

Looking back on Tai Shan, I think they should've gone with ZERO keyboards and a lot more percussion instruments (to capture the rustic setting AND because this was Neil writing for himself <---not meant negatively)

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 8 2011, 02:57 PM)
Others included Grateful Dead's new album (can't remember the title)

In The Dark (including Touch Of Grey, Throwing Stones, and Hell In a Bucket)

I think Hold Your Fire is one of the weakest albums. Don't like the thin sound. Thank goodness the PRS era would be approaching soon.

I haven't listened to this album in at least 5 years. I tried to give it another chance a few months ago but gave up after a couple songs. So many better Rush albums to listen to. I doubt I'll ever hear it again. However, I will still listen to the songs randomly if the come up on shuffle on the ipod (just not the whole thing).

I rate it 2nd to last of the catalogue, barely over Presto.

Mission has grown on me over the last 10 years or so. It has probably become my top song on the album.

here I go again being silly. But for those who love "Turn the Page", listen to it with headphones. Once the song loads, put the cursor at the 4:38 mark and everytime the song ends, hit the 4:38 and it plays that long keyboard fadeout again. It's a great experience with headphones. It makes me feel airborne.

Rush - "Turn the Page"

I love it. I'd love it anyway, but TSS has a great emotional connection for me; my twin daughters were 4, which is a lovely age, and despite the fact that work was pretty sh1t, I really really did want time to stand still. I used to play it and sit there watching them, coming as close to tears as I ever have through music.

Yeah, the lyrics of Tai Shan are pretty clumsy (by Peart standards), but it can be forgiven.

Also, despite the undeniable profusion of synths, I still hear it as a guitar driven album.

Some great bass work, interesting song arrangements, good lyrics, although I dont think this album has aged well because it is so detached from whats going on in music today, which is the harder edgy style they are going for with Clockwork.

It sounds VERY 80s and very dated, unlike something like Hemisphere or MP which still kind of fit in with modern music.

I like HYF, but they went too far with the pop-ish production and song writing. Like many have already stated, Tai Shan and High Water suck, and IMO, so does Second Nature. Its funny because Power Window is a 'sister album'--same producer, studio and musical direction and its one of my favorites. To sum it up:

Great:

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

Mission

Turn The Page

OK to Good:

Force Ten

Open Secrets

Lock and Key

Worst Rush EVER:

Second Nature

High Water

Tai Shan

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Jun 9 2011, 12:19 PM)
I like HYF, but they went too far with the pop-ish production and song writing. Like many have already stated, Tai Shan and High Water suck, and IMO, so does Second Nature. Its funny because Power Window is a 'sister album'--same producer, studio and musical direction and its one of my favorites. To sum it up:

Great:
Time Stand Still
Prime Mover
Mission
Turn The Page

OK to Good:
Force Ten
Open Secrets
Lock and Key

Worst Rush EVER:
Second Nature
High Water
Tai Shan

Force ten is much better than you give it credit for. I'd put it second after TSS.