Neil to be on Letterman..

liddybuck01

I think Neil and I are of a kind. Not that I have any where near his talent, but that we're artists stuck in a scientists brain and body. Neil can't "swing" because he's too analytical about things. I suffer from the same problem. The "art" comes from feel. If you can't feel it, you try to count it out instead and by then it's already too late. You're not feeling it anymore, you're analyzing it. Nothing wrong with this. It can make one technically proficient and down right fun to watch.

But I do think Neil should layoff the swing bit and the samples. The samples simply because they were new and interesting in the 80's, but they're kinda' tired now. Get back to the ESL type of solo. NeilFinal.gif

old.gif That's my tree fiddy.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know what would make some people so happy? If Neil was a more music.gif flamboyant playing ergonomic gregarious percussionist music.gif You bet your life smile.gif

Actually, nah, they'd find another way to turn diamond into dust doh.gif

I agree that the scientist part of him probably leads to paralysis by analysis in his swing feel. Totally agree.

As for the electronics yeah it is a bit old and then take for example section ( 2:20 till 2:50) I think we could have done without...the studio audience could have done without and hell maybe even Neil thinks he could have done without. Later on there are similar problems starting around (3:10) with very strange and inappropriate sounds from his midi cat marimba...and worse...his left foot gets off time several times...( 3:19,3:24,3;29) like his coordination was not there....this last part is really kind of frustrating because the more times I watched it.... it seemed the worse it got.

See here: video clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzWGvCKRpE

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 13 2011, 02:07 PM)
I think Peart's solo concept is fine for concerts but if he's "on show" and billed as (one of) the Top Rock Drummer then he should go for it big style. All the fills, paradiddles, drum rolls etc that have made him famous should be chucked in.

Absolutely. Drum Solo Week on a major network television show ended with one of the best-known rock drummers ever, playing a kit that looked and rotated like a spaceship. The stick work has to match that.

For instance, that crossover bit is the most visually impressive thing he does, IMO, and he should have milked the hell out of it like he used to and gone across the snare and both floor toms a few times. Instead, he gave just a small sample of that.

Neil was picked to close out that week for a reason, and he did good, but he seems afraid to show off these days. F*ck that -- you're Neil Peart, and this is national TV -- give us Neil Peart Plus! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 13 2011, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 13 2011, 02:07 PM)
I think Peart's solo concept is fine for concerts but if he's "on show" and billed as (one of) the Top Rock Drummer then he should go for it big style. All the fills, paradiddles, drum rolls etc that have made him famous should be chucked in.

Absolutely. Drum Solo Week on a major network television show ended with one of the best-known rock drummers ever, playing a kit that looked and rotated like a spaceship. The stick work has to match that.

For instance, that crossover bit is the most visually impressive thing he does, IMO, and he should have milked the hell out of it like he used to and gone across the snare and both floor toms a few times. Instead, he gave just a small sample of that.

Neil was picked to close out that week for a reason, and he did good, but he seems afraid to show off these days. F*ck that -- you're Neil Peart, and this is national TV -- give us Neil Peart Plus! biggrin.gif

Absolutely. That solo came across like an assessed performance for a music degree. I preferred his Hockey Theme, it had more pizazz.

To paraphrase that irritating bastard Jack Black, Peart has more rocket sauce than most people, he needs to let it splash out a bit more.

Alright this midi cat marimba thing combined with the left foot ( tamborine sound) going out of time...I just can't help it... it makes me laugh.....he really should not have done this part at all the more I think about it (check it out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzWGvCKRpE...tailpage#t=190s

ohmy.gif

And for the love of god I am not sure what was happening here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzWGvCKRpE...tailpage#t=305s

Or here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzWGvCKRpE...tailpage#t=140s

his best part was right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzWGvCKRpE...etailpage#t=90s

Edited by druid13

Seriously? All of this nit picking is getting really old. 'Neil isn't as flamboyant with his drumming and messes up a lot,' 'Geddy can't sing and sucks,' 'Alex isn't creative and lacks skill' are just a few samples I'm seeing around this board anymore. News flash! They are approaching sixty years old! They still work very hard, and are passionate about what they do, and regardless of any mistake that occurs, they are still good at what they do. Rush fans for far too long have held this band on a pedestal as if they are immortal, and because of this, now that they are getting older, and changes occur, suddenly, they aren't good enough. This is the sense I gather from people on the boards. I ain't suggesting they are better, I'm simply suggesting they are still good enough to do what they do.

The problem with this world is that there is too much criticism and whining, and not enough appreciation. Rush fans should be even lucky that the band is still going, especially Neil. The internet of course has only enhanced this behavior, and probably will get worst in the years to come.

I came to this forum to discuss the band, not bash the band, and even with some 'trolls' who have been 'taken care of,' this stuff still continues, and while I know that's the sad fact of the internet, I'm going to say something anyway, even if it has no impact.

People over analyze too much. Seriously, the only way to pick out mistakes most of the time by Neil is to literally be on a mission, and hope to scope out anything that may come their way. It's very easy for someone to sit behind a screen, and do this, yet I find it sad considering all of the crap that is going on in the world, and people have the time on their hands to make this into a career.

Lastly, I bet there are very few, if any, people on this board can pull off what Neil does, or better yet Geddy and Alex included too, even at their current age. When people say, 'Oh, they aren't creative and aren't as good,' okay, maybe that is true, but just for the sake of the argument, what would you do? What are you gonna show that creatively surpasses what they put out? And when I say this, I am not referring to those who say, 'Oh, I wish this song had a bit more cowbell,' or 'It would be great if Alex could write a crazy solo,' that's all fine. I'm referring to those that say, 'Oh, see! In measures 31 through 52, Neil screwed up four times in a live concert!' Of course, that is exaggerated, but you get the gist what I mean. Seriously, if you are going to over analyze like that, put up or shut up.

Criticism is fine, but when people get crazy with it, and lose sight of appreciation, that's when it becomes a problem. Call me a fanboi if you want, hell, maybe I am, but the fact is that if there is one thing I have learned in my life so far, it's that: "Anything in excess is a bad thing." Well, I see an excess of criticism, and deficiency in appreciation and gratitude for this band.

I guess,

rantoff.gif

EDIT: I started writing this, and a few more posts were posted after what I saw. I saw everything before 101001

Edited by GUP1771

Aw come on I was trying to be glass half full...at least I did not say this was the best part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...WGvCKRpE#t=326s

Seriously though He maybe should have done a solo like he did with the 2008 Buddy Rich show...not worry about electronics but still have plenty of ideas and stuff to work with. I just felt it got bogged down in worry over how many parts to fill in over such a short span is all really.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 12 2011, 03:36 AM)
Neil is my biggest inspiration as a drummer and the reason I started playing but Neil get in touch. Your old solos were way better. I love Neil's creativity as that is his greatest strength but you have to ditch parts of this solo. Especially the Roland sample part in the middle. It has run its coarse and it just KILLS the momentum of the solo. I think it is also time to retire the jazz play along at the end. That has also run its coarse and is getting old at this point. As someone said before you are Neil freakin Peart. No holds barred on the solo That is the time to break it out. I never thought I would criticize a Peart solo but the time has come. He's still got it he just needs to USE it more.

I couldn't agree more however people change over the years and with what he has gone through, it is entirely possible that playing solos similar to before his first family's demise might leave him a little sad and not wanting to rehash old memories. As we all know, music is personal and especially for the musicians themselves.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jun 13 2011, 03:33 PM)
Aw come on I was trying to be glass half full...at least I did not say this was the best part:

Seriously though He maybe should have done a solo like he did with the 2008 Buddy Rich show...not worry about electronics but still have plenty of ideas and stuff to work with. I just felt it got bogged down in worry over how many parts to fill in over such a short span is all really.

I think I understand where yours and similar posts are coming from, but I think it's a 'perfect world' scenario. He's in the middle of a world tour, and he's going to have less than 4 minutes on letterman. I think the option of truncating his current solo on his time machine kit was the obvious one, as opposed to taking the time to create something from scratch.. or worse, re-running half the ESL solo. Or whatever, ya know. Based on all of the timing and circumstances, I think we got the best that he could give us, which was damn terrific.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jun 13 2011, 02:57 PM)
but I guess Neil is not as robotic as he used to be ...this old clip...holy hell man talk about stiff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDJTZlSx2o

I swear he was so good back then, it almost looked fake.

My favorite words out of Letterman's mouth,

"...Neil Peart, who's is curently on tour with His Band RUSH "

& Yes I kinda agree that he could have just gave a Rock Drummer performance.

Still Awesome !!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 13 2011, 05:09 PM)

Sometimes I'll watch clips of interviews from these shows, but staying up till 12, 1 or 2 every night like I did in my teens and 20's?  Yeah, not gonna happen. no.gif

Been using VCR's & Now DVR to watch everything for last 15/20 years

I don't watch fill, comercials & can FF & Rewatch anything

But I do still channel surf some . . . . .

But when I catch something I like I press REC & watch it uninterupted later.!

653.gif

As far as I'm concerned, I was interested in watching the solo. I didn't want to see any of David Letterman. I didn't have to wait long for the youtube video of it. That takes care of having to wait all the way through Letterman's rather uninteresting show.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Jun 13 2011, 02:33 PM)

I'm with you, d13. I didn't even finish watching the whole solo one time through because it was so annoying. The parts you highlighted...I get that they are technically interesting, but they aren't entertaining musically and end up as pure buzzkill in a drum-solo.

So, I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now and I think it has become very telling.

I think for many of you, Rush has gone and jumped the shark. You're hanging on to a memory of what Rush meant to you while blasting what Rush actually is now.

Most of the folks on this message board are acutely aware of Ged, Alex and Neil's limitations as they get older but we choose to dismiss it. You see, for many of us, it just doesn't freaking matter that Neil stole a triplet pattern from Steve Gadd (which by the way, I think he gives credit to on A.O.A.D.S) or that he may not play with the same fluidity that he did thirty years ago. We love him anyway. We love him dispite his gristly demeanor and bulging waistline. We love him because he's NOT Mike Mangini.

I respect D-13's opinion on 'The Solo' but I think he/she is really missing the point. By breaking the solo into tiny YouTube bits and analyzing each fragment for its flaws, D-13 is doing EXACTLY what the critics have been doing for years--Judging Rush by the parts of the parts rather than the sum. I'm sorry D-13 but you just don't get it.

One last note: One of Buddy Rich's last televised performances was on the Muppet Show playing a duet with Animal. I was told by a jazz drummer that this performance was pure dreck, but for me, as a casual viewer it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen! It lead me to Rush and Zeppelin and Genesis and Maiden and a throughly fulfilling life as a music fan. I wonder if there might be a kid out there who watched that old man play the other night and said, "damn, that's pretty good! I think I'd like to hear more of that."

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 14 2011, 03:00 PM)
So, I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now and I think it has become very telling.

I think for many of you, Rush has gone and jumped the shark. You're hanging on to a memory of what Rush meant to you while blasting what Rush actually is now.

Most of the folks on this message board are acutely aware of Ged, Alex and Neil's limitations as they get older but we choose to dismiss it. You see, for many of us, it just doesn't freaking matter that Neil stole a triplet pattern from Steve Gadd (which by the way, I think he gives credit to on A.O.A.D.S) or that he may not play with the same fluidity that he did thirty years ago. We love him anyway. We love him dispite his gristly demeanor and bulging waistline. We love him because he's NOT Mike Mangini.

I respect D-13's opinion on 'The Solo' but I think he/she is really missing the point. By breaking the solo into tiny YouTube bits and analyzing each fragment for its flaws, D-13 is doing EXACTLY what the critics have been doing for years--Judging Rush by the parts of the parts rather than the sum. I'm sorry D-13 but you just don't get it.

One last note: One of Buddy Rich's last televised performances was on the Muppet Show playing a duet with Animal. I was told by a jazz drummer that this performance was pure dreck, but for me, as a casual viewer it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen! It lead me to Rush and Zeppelin and Genesis and Maiden and a throughly fulfilling life as a music fan. I wonder if there might be a kid out there who watched that old man play the other night and said, "damn, that's pretty good! I think I'd like to hear more of that."

that's a good post dude.