Neil to be on Letterman..

liddybuck01

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 12 2011, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 12 2011, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 12 2011, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 11 2011, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 11 2011, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 11 2011, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 11 2011, 09:23 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 11 2011, 07:31 AM)
Before the show aired I knew that people were going to be critical and demanding, especially in light of the fact that Neil himself has consistently set his own bar of excellence so high.  I wasn't wrong.

* fixed

I can't control how much I come off as a dick or not if you f**k with my posts. But hey man, the internet is a bitch.

* fixed

wink.gif

Hey man, if the guy doesn't like you altering his posts, even if you only mean it as a joke, why not respect his wishes? Some people don't care about seeing their posts "fixed," but some do.

I think in this case it was completely called for... biggrin.gif

Ghostie, does everything have to turn into a 7th grade playground bitchfest with you? C'mon, you're an adult now. Time to put down the spitballs.

The above quotes are a good example of why this "fixed" thing isn't always a good idea. Anybody who comes into this thread and the first thing they see are the above quoted posts, they will see your edited version of Ancient Ways' post and not his original. That's not fair to him as it is intentionally misquoting him, and we shouldn't have to scroll back and search for his original post.

If this were a lighthearted joke thread then it wouldn't be a big deal.

And Ancient Ways over-reaction? The "bitch" comment...

That OK now? Officially sanctioned reaction/personal attacks. Super, I'm just off to sharpen some barbs. ph34r.gif

I agree that AW didn't have to call Ghostie a "bitch." We've see far worse, and I don't think it's deserving of all this protest, but yeah, he could have left that out -- but I agree with his point about seeing his post misquoted. If anything, GW could have just called AW out for his tone instead of resorting to that 7th grade "fixed" tactic. It would have accomplished more in less time.

Again, we're pointing all this out because right now, all I'm seeing is AW's altered post, not his original. And this isn't a jokey thread where that kind of thing is not a big deal.

Also, can we not turn this into yet another 9-page policy hearing? We've made our points and we're sticking to them, like them or not. Go ahead and get the last word in if it'll make you feel good, but we're done here.

By the way, I had to go back to page 10 just to find AW's original post. I shouldn't have to do that.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 12 2011, 12:28 PM)
Girls, girls, girls, don't get your panties all in a wad. Cheese and rice. What are ya? A bunch of crotchety old grumpy men?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/harrylvr04/tags/Superheroes/Superman/th_thloveicon_1.png

side note:

i saw most of this episode, and i hadn't really watched a full david letterman episode in years. i used to watch him all the time in my younger days.

is it just me, or have his comedic skills declined a good bit? was it just an off night? i mean, he can still do good interviews, but i gotta say that the opening monologue and a lot of his attempts to be funny just weren't working. at least imho...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 12 2011, 06:21 PM)
The direction this thread took represents why I rarely post on TRF anymore.

wtf.gif

This took a pretty unnecessary turn, didn't it?

Of course there are plenty of threads where this doesn't happen, but these tend to attract the most attention.

Did anyone catch the part in the beginning where Letterman talked about the first two questions tourists ask when they arrive in New York, and the second was, "What's that smell?" tongue.gif

Maybe the "new Moving Pictures" album was supposed to refer to the 5.1 DVD, but if so, it was weird he was holding up the vinyl (although the vinyl was easier to see than the DVD would have been).

No mention of Neil's book...wonder if he thought he was going to get to mention it and didn't?

Yeah there were some things I liked about the solo but alot of stuff I thought was...not so good.

The nagging, clanging Ride cymbal bell...I swear they had the bell miced up underneath....way too overpowering. Stood out...in a bad way.

His swing was really straight sounding as noted...and stiff. He needs to sit there with just a ride cymbal and practice getting a triplet ride feel down. There were some other weird oddities in the swing section too where it felt like he lost the flow with his filling...started to turn into almost flailing... He needs to relax and play lighter, as I think he tries to "hit" jazz with the same instensity of rock and that causes his playing to be stiff.

Toms sounded good, snare decent but I think it was gated. Cut out alot of tone.

I still to this day don't understand his set up. And I have had a Work in progress since it came out on VHS (and despite his explanations)...there seems to be very little that is actually ergonomic and there are these weird angles and reaching with that set up. ..particularly the high toms.

the crowd gave him a good reception which was nice.

Edited by druid13

one other thing...the part with the tooting horn and all the stuff after it kind of elicited some laughter...(from around 1:40 to well after the 2 minute mark) the 2 ostinatos with those sound-library choices just don't seem to work very well....kind of chaotic sounding really and very random.....it just seemed a little goofy to me.

"Woooot...boom chik chik...habba clabbada dung dung dong passst Boom chik chik...Bom cha boom boom."

confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 12 2011, 01:45 PM)
side note:

i saw most of this episode, and i hadn't really watched a full david letterman episode in years. i used to watch him all the time in my younger days.

is it just me, or have his comedic skills declined a good bit? was it just an off night? i mean, he can still do good interviews, but i gotta say that the opening monologue and a lot of his attempts to be funny just weren't working. at least imho...

I agree with you on Dave and have for some time. Leno's funnier and Dave is BY FAR a better interviewer.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 13 2011, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 12 2011, 01:45 PM)
side note:

i saw most of this episode, and i hadn't really watched a full david letterman episode in years.  i used to watch him all the time in my younger days.

is it just me, or have his comedic skills declined a good bit?  was it just an off night?  i mean, he can still do good interviews, but i gotta say that the opening monologue and a lot of his attempts to be funny just weren't working.  at least imho...

I agree with you on Dave and have for some time. Leno's funnier and Dave is BY FAR a better interviewer.

Then there are Craig Ferguson and Conan who are both funnier and better interviewers than both Leno or Letterman. yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 12 2011, 07:26 PM)
...I had to go searching for AW's original post because all of the quoted versions of it were YOUR altered versions, and that was really annoying. It doesn't matter that it's clearly marked as "fixed" -- I still want to see what HE originally said. The way you used that gimmick here is really childish -- it's a shame you don't care about being seen that way...

you're getting way too carried away, friend

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 12 2011, 06:53 PM)
I'm sure it's no news to you that there is never anything 'serious' going on on a messageboard  trink39.gif