Scenes That Made You Cry

Tick

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 18 2011, 07:32 PM)
Saving Private Ryan

The final scene at the American cemetery. The retired James Ryan looks at his wife and says, "Tell me I've lived a good life. Tell me I'm a good man."

......and she replies, "Yes, you are."

I saw the film four times in the theater, and every time, grown men and senior men walked out of that room in tears. fists crying.gif

Oh man, I forgot about that one. A tear jerker everytime. A lot of non-military people don't understand that the guys that you serve with aren't just your squadmates or partners; they're your family. They're the people that you'd take a bullet for, and the people that always have your back, no questions asked. There is nothing more painful than losing one of your fellow brothers.

I actually broke down when I visited Arlington Cemetery on leave. Just seeing the fields of small white crosses tore me to shreds.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 18 2011, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 18 2011, 01:46 PM)
The scene in "Black Hawk Down" when Delta Snipers SFC Randy Shughart and MSG Gary Gordon choose to insert themselves into hostile territory to retrieve and defend a downed AH-60 pilot (Chief Warrant Officer Mike Durant) knowing full well that they wouldn't make it back. Outnumbered and out gunned, the two of them held off a force of over 300 Somalis while protecting the injured pilot. Inevitably, their ammunition was depleted and they were overtaken and killed. The pilot was captured, but later was released.

Point is, those two men gave their lives to defend a man they didn't even know. They only knew that he was a fellow soldier. Being an Infantryman, that scene hits me hard. They gave it all in the name of comradery.

The two snipers were posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

(Fun fact: The Somali force attacking them counted some 54 dead at the hands of the snipers. Seriously badass motherfu*kers.)

It gets me, too!

My Father in law actually knew and served with Randy Shugart, he told me Randy's SF nickname was "Super Jew". laugh.gif My Father in law's nickname was Poncho because he has a thick droopy mustache and they told him he looked like a stereotypical Mexican bad guy from a B Western! laugh.gif

Jack, that's too f***ing cool. Knowing someone to have served with such a legend. And family too! Give him my regards and thanks.

I'm my squads designated marksman (going to sniper school in December, woo!) and I nicknamed my M14 "Randy."

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 18 2011, 03:48 PM)
The married life montage from "Up" packs a pretty good wallop.

I know what you mean - I cried my eyes out at that. I thought it had been beautifully animated.

I also cried at the opening scene in Lion King when Rafiki holds up baby cub Simba, when Dumbo gets separated from his mother, and when the toys in Toy Story 3 are about to be incinerated in the dump...

fists crying.gif *sniff*

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 19 2011, 06:08 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 18 2011, 02:39 PM)
The scene in "Black Hawk Down" when Delta Snipers SFC Randy Shughart and MSG Gary Gordon choose to insert themselves into hostile territory to retrieve and defend a downed AH-60 pilot (Chief Warrant Officer Mike Durant) knowing full well that they wouldn't make it back. Outnumbered and out gunned, the two of them held off a force of over 300 Somalis while protecting the injured pilot. Inevitably, their ammunition was depleted and they were overtaken and killed. The pilot was captured, but later was released.

Point is, those two men gave their lives to defend a man they didn't even know. They only knew that he was a fellow soldier. Being an Infantryman, that scene hits me hard. They gave it all in the name of comradery.

(Fun fact: The Somali force attacking them counted some 54 dead at the hands of the snipers. Seriously badass motherfu*kers.)

It gets me, too!

My Father in law actually knew and served with Randy Shugart, he told me Randy's SF nickname was "Super Jew". laugh.gif My Father in law's nickname was Poncho because he has a thick droopy mustache and they told him he looked like a stereotypical Mexican bad guy from a B Western! laugh.gif

Jack, that's too f***ing cool. Knowing someone to have served with such a legend. And family too! Give him my regards and thanks.

I'm my squads designated marksman (going to sniper school in December, woo!) and I nicknamed my M14 "Randy."

Thanks, I will. Henry's a fascinating man, he served two tours in Nam as a Special Forces operator, he's a founding member of Delta Force, he taught sniper school, he taught dive school, and he helped Colonel Nick Rowe design the curriculum for the SERE school at Camp Mackall in NC. He also knew all of the operators who died in the helicopter crash in the attempt to rescue the hostages in Iraq. In fact, he almost went himself.

If you ever get down to SC, pm me and I'll have Henry come up (he lives two hours away in Ga.) and he you and I will spend the day together. I'll grill steaks. If you ever read any books about SF and hear of a CSM Walter Shumate, who was a legend in SF, Henry knew and served with him and has a lot of funny stories about him.

I always called my rifle Carlos. wink.gif Still do, in fact!

LOTR Return of the King - the coronation ceremony of Argorn where sees his girl (whatever her name is) through the crrowd and silk screens, and then the end when they all say goodbye at the docks. fists crying.gif

A Legue of Their Own - AT the end when they open the museum

Ghost

Million Dollar Baby

Steel Magnolias

I love the part at the end of the movie when the one Delta guy was getting a bite to eat before he went back in...and someone asked why he would even consider going back into the fight...and he replied:

When I go home people'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do you do it man? What, you some kinda war junkie?" You know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

That one chokes me up a bit. I don't know if people who have never been in the military can fully understand that one.

Edited by ILSnwdog

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 18 2011, 07:32 PM)
Saving Private Ryan

The final scene at the American cemetery. The retired James Ryan looks at his wife and says, "Tell me I've lived a good life. Tell me I'm a good man."

......and she replies, "Yes, you are."

I saw the film four times in the theater, and every time, grown men and senior men walked out of that room in tears. fists crying.gif

ohmy.gif I forgot about that one. I'll admit I got a little misty eyed during that scene.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 19 2011, 12:57 PM)
this should be called the wussy thread  smile.gif

Now that you're here it can be! OOOOOOOOH! Oh no you di'int, Jack!

laugh.gif wink.gif tongue.gif moon.gif pokey.gif

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (briremo @ May 19 2011, 09:51 AM)
A Legue of Their Own - AT the end when they open the museum

I mentioned this movie earlier and yes, this is a touching scene, particularly when Dotty sees the picture of Jimmy Dugan (coach) and only then finds out he had died. Also, finding out a few others that had died over the years.

And of course when Dottie and her sister share an embrace since they had been sibling rivals throughout the course of the movie.

And the photo being taken of the "original Peaches" which slowly morphed into an old photo of them when they were starting the team.

Looking back at my posts, I must find something heartfelt in dysfunctional families whose relationships are fixed by whatever plot the movie has them in.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 18 2011, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 18 2011, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 18 2011, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 18 2011, 11:44 AM)
But the real tear-jerker for me? The only time I've ever openly sobbed for many, many minutes while in front of a television screen?
Marley and Me.
The END when Marley is on the veterinarian table and they're about to euthanize him... oh my gosh... I have an older dog with many health problems and I think about that every day. It haunts me. It was played out so well in that movie that I just sobbed, and my mom sobbed, and my dad handed Kleenexes to us for about twenty straight minutes...
Oh, man. I don't think I can ever watch that movie again.

Any time the dog dies, or does something really noble in a movie, I cry. I am a softie for dogs.

That said, I didn't see Marley and Me. I had read the book and knew how it ended. (In fact, I finished the book in the airport, waiting for a packed flight to board. Yes, there I was on the floor, surrounded by 100+ of my fellow passengers, sobbing my f*ckin' eyes out!)

Even though I'm not a dog owner, that movie got me choked up a bit. Not only during that scene in the vet's office, but Jennifer Aniston had a few scenes where she really drew empathy, both in reaction to the dog and when she herself was in the doctor's office about her baby.

I shall never watch this movie as I do not enjoy being sad.

"Old Yeller" must have had a real impact on me as a kid. I will not watch any movie about dogs of it involves the death of a dog. People, no problem but dogs, nope, no way will I watch the movie.

I am not a big dog lover, in fact I can barely tolerate them as pets.

As far as tearing up at a movie, yep from Disney on up.....

I may have gotten a little choked up at the end of Into The Wild.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss91/moodtheme/3rd/into1.png

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jul 27 2011, 07:21 PM)
Forrest Gump, on the shrimp boat, when Lt. Dan finally thanks Forrest for savings his life.

Every time...

Yea, I love that scene.

The scene that always gets me is where he is at Jenny's grave and says, "I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time. I miss you, Jenny. If there's anything you need, I won't be far away."

Also - I get choked up at the end of "Field of Dreams" when he finally throws ball with his father. It is a pretty powerful scene that affects me emotionally for some reason.

The very end of "Empire of the Sun" when a young Christian Bale cries on his mom's shoulders after being separated from his parents and surviving a prison camp -

Very few movies affect me but this is one that always get's me -

a lot of the ones already mentioned like Up, Toy Story3, A League of Their Own, Forrest Gump, Marley and Me.

ok, 2 dog movies...

Hachi. anyone see this? the entire last half hour of that movie is heartbreaking.

Eight Below. when he finally goes back and sees if the dogs survived the winter.

Brokeback Mountain when Jack dies and Ennis breaks down holding his shirt.

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. ok, kinda silly, but at the part where he calls her a whore, also the end when they're all saying goodbye, and when Dolly sings I Will Always Love You.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 27 2011, 06:40 PM)
This is the saddest scene in movie history according to science.....

Spoiler if you haven't seen The Champ from 1979

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-sa...-according-to-s

It is sad once.

The second time I saw it I could NOT stop laughing. Sure, call me a sicko for it, but others have told me they had the same reaction upon repeat viewings!