I've had enough.

Soni

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 11 2011, 05:47 PM)
I'm sorry but ioc and Soni come across as whiny-arsed attention-seekers to me. This "I'm leaving" or "I'm sick of.." phenomenon lies entirely with the Internet as in real life it would come across as crass.

Not as attention-seeking as posting unconstructive negative threads for the sole purpose of seeing how many people will get worked up. Now THAT'S what I call being an attention whore.

As I said recently, the last thing we want is Rush's Magical Kingdom with nothing but sycophantic lovefest fanboy threads. That would be disgusting. Some negativity and criticism is expected, and healthy in the right amount. But until this past week, we had an unhealthy amount of it. This isn't YouTube.

There's nothing wrong with joining a band forum and not wanting to wade through a shitload of hater threads to get to the positive ones.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 11 2011, 10:57 PM)
I'm sorry but ioc and Soni come across as whiny-arsed attention-seekers to me. This "I'm leaving" or "I'm sick of.." phenomenon lies entirely with the Internet as in real life it would come across as crass.

Not as attention-seeking as posting unconstructive negative threads for the sole purpose of seeing how many people will get worked up. Now THAT'S what I call being an attention whore.

As I said recently, the last thing we want is Rush's Magical Kingdom with nothing but sycophantic lovefest fanboy threads. That would be disgusting. Some negativity and criticism is expected, and healthy in the right amount. But until this past week, we had an unhealthy amount of it. This isn't YouTube.

There's nothing wrong with joining a band forum and not wanting to wade through a shitload of hater threads to get to the positive ones.

Yes, but why start a thread about it? wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 11 2011, 11:57 PM)

You got my point.

2.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 11:00 PM)

You got my point.

2.gif

Yeah but why start a thread about it? How does it look to everyone else?

Why not just post a PM to an Admin or better still, do whatever you need to do without making a public drama about it. cheer.gif

Long-time members, I noticed something:

Early in the forum's life (I enjoy gravedigging to see where a site started out) there weren't hardly any negative threads. People sometimes disagreed, but you didn't see all of this ridiculous personal attacking.. at least, that was my impression, looking through all the threads.

Any thoughts on how and why the forum's changed so much over the years?

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 11 2011, 06:00 PM)

I'll give you that.

Soni, your intentions for starting this thread were good. Your heart was in the right place, for sure. But it would have made more sense to post this a week ago when things were really bad in here. This kind of thread, though the sentiment is much appreciated and well-intentioned, only helps perpetuate the things you're protesting -- especially when those things were already correcting themselves on their own. wink.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 06:00 PM)

You got my point.

2.gif

Sure I did, and most others here did as well. Others have said similar things in the past month or so. yes.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 11 2011, 06:07 PM)
Early in the forum's life (I enjoy gravedigging to see where a site started out) there weren't hardly any negative threads. People sometimes disagreed, but you didn't see all of this ridiculous personal attacking.. at least, that was my impression, looking through all the threads.

Simple -- this board is over 6-1/2 years old and there are a lot of people here now. All kinds of people will come out of the woodwork when a community gets to that point.

Overall, these little phases of negativity are just that -- phases. They come and go. The veterans here will attest to that. Part of the deal in a medium-to-large community.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 11 2011, 11:07 PM)

Because if everyone agrees then there's little to discuss. Over time, and especially between albums, new material for interesting positive debates approaches zero.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 12 2011, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 11 2011, 06:00 PM)

I'll give you that.

Soni, your intentions for starting this thread were good. Your heart was in the right place, for sure. But it would have made more sense to post this a week ago when things were really bad in here. This kind of thread, though the sentiment is much appreciated and well-intentioned, only helps perpetuate the things you're protesting -- especially when those things were already correcting themselves on their own. wink.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 06:00 PM)

You got my point.

2.gif

Sure I did, and most others here did as well. Others have said similar things in the past month or so. yes.gif

All right I understand.

I guess I was a bit late for this.

Now that I made my point, feel free to close it if causes more trouble, I won't mind.

wink.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 05:17 PM)
All right I understand.
Now that I made my point, feel free to close it if causes more trouble, I won't mind.
wink.gif

Sorry, but I have to agree with Soni 1000% before this is closed. confused13.gif

I've been staying away from TRF myself more-and-more. Not just because of the blatant haters, but more because of the relentless negativity from some "real" members. I find myself increasingly annoyed and epically unintersted in how much a certain member hates VT, how much a certain clique hates S&A, etc.

And as the saying goes, "it's not you, it's ME." I KNOW that negativity is absolutely the norm for the internet, and that it's much, much worse on most other boards (such as CP). So rather than bitch about the bitchers, I just haven't been around much. And, no, I won't let the door hit my ass on the way out. tongue.gif

Seriously, I have enjoyed much of my time around here, but at some point TRF just began to lose its charm. sad.gif I still check in here and will be curious to see the reaction to CA. (Though I can already predict who's going to hate it, who's going to despise it, who's going to be "dissapointed," who's going to hate the spirituality angle, yada, yada, yada.)

But it seems to me that TRF has lost it's overall positive outlook on Rush that always used to attract me and distinguigh this place from CP and others. sad.gif

P.S. Jeez, what the heck did I miss last week? tongue.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 11 2011, 06:38 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 05:17 PM)
All right I understand.
wink.gif

Sorry, but I have to agree with Soni 1000% before this is closed. confused13.gif

I've been staying away from TRF myself more-and-more. Not just because of the blatant haters, but more because of the relentless negativity from some "real" members. I find myself increasingly annoyed and epically unintersted in how much a certain member hates VT, how much a certain clique hates S&A, etc.

And as the saying goes, "it's not you, it's ME." I KNOW that negativity is absolutely the norm for the internet, and that it's much, much worse on most other boards (such as CP). So rather than bitch about the bitchers, I just haven't been around much. And, no, I won't let the door hit my ass on the way out. tongue.gif

Seriously, I have enjoyed much of my time around here, but at some point TRF just began to lose its charm. sad.gif I still check in here and will be curious to see the reaction to CA. (Though I can already predict who's going to hate it, who's going to despise it, who's going to be "dissapointed," who's going to hate the spirituality angle, yada, yada, yada.)

But it seems to me that TRF has lost it's overall positive outlook on Rush that always used to attract me and distinguigh this place from CP and others. sad.gif

P.S. Jeez, what the heck did I miss last week? tongue.gif

You missed a period where the negativity had reached its pinnacle. And as with any bad phase, it eventually corrects itself -- if the overall population is on board with wanting to correct it. And this one did.

QUOTE (Pags @ May 11 2011, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 11 2011, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Scars @ May 11 2011, 01:26 PM)
Making an off-topic thread discussing your dislike of off-topic threads is kind of unnecessary.

^ furthermore, it would be akin to behaving in the same way that offended you, Soni - ooops

While everyone hates the threads you mentioned, it does manage to provoke a discussion (no matter how heated it may get at times).

^ 'everyone'? now don't be silly, Scars

The only thing you can do is ignore it--the problem is the fact that people respond to it (a lot) and that is the reason it becomes so bad.

^ hmm, maybe it's not as 'bad' as you assume - there's nothing illegitimate about threads discussing a drummer's age or the potential future of a band (especially one that's been at it over 40 years)

If people just didn't bother responding to these "trolls" (as it's been put), then the threads would disappear from the first page in 2-3 days.

^ amend that to 'If people who were bothered by such topics just didn't participate or respond to them, no problem' and you've got a winner trink39.gif

As a member of a forum, there may be a lot of sense to this point of view. However, from the perspective of those who are trying to maintain a forum that has some sense of appeal, especially to new prospective members - what is written here is completely wrong.

There should be no need for anyone to have to siphon through a bunch of bullshit threads before a legitimate one can be found...

^ again, you're quite crudely presupposing that each and every 'Is Neil too old?' or 'Rush: do they even have 6 months left in them?' thread is by default bogus, which is not the case

...there should also be no reason to believe someone can easily ascertain that a thread is bogus simply from the thread title.  They would have to read some of it first.  That blows the entire "if you don't like it, don't read it" theory out of the water.

^ actually, it 100% supports it

if you click on a thread titled 'Neil can't play anymore' you're obviously already interested in the topic

if the OP's post is a childish tirade without facts, it's not hard to press the 'back' button and be done with it (try it sometime, the entire affair can be transacted in under one second - amazing!)

if the OP's post is a well-written, detailed personal assessment of Peart's recent performances, you're free to read on and participate

I don't think it could be more effortless or efficient

...there is also the fact that there are many completely derailing and inappropriate posts into what otherwise would have been legitimate topics.

^ that's the blessing/curse of a public messageboard, my friend

...welcome aboard! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 11 2011, 08:23 AM)
I'm so f*cking sick to see a new "Is Neil too old." or "This is Rush's last tour" type threads every time I log in on TRF.
I joined this forum to talk with other Rush fans, to share my love of the band with others. Not to read stupid trolls.
Until this f*cked up trend of stupid threads keeps going, I won't post nor look at this sub forum.

See ya in the Pit, Nick.

Beautiful and completely true post.

ps
2.gif  rulezzz bitches!!!

^^This

Long live 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I totally agree with the nature of this post. However, the only thing more annoying than the trolls are the, "that's it! I'm leaving" cry-babies.

Just put up with the a-holes and move on. Don't go Carson Palmer on us.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 11 2011, 02:04 PM)
I just hope that if I lose all interest in current and future Rush music (which becomes likely with every passing day), those friends will not abandon me.

I'm in a similar situation with another band and their scene I became disillusioned with. I stopped posting on their message board, but have remained friends with most of the other fans on Facebook and the like. There were two who deleted me, though. One didn't surprise me at all; the other did, and it STILL hurts. I'm not sure if the person was never the friend I thought she was, or she didn't want to hear how I found Rush and how excited I am about them, or both.

If your experience is anything like mine, most will stick with you, and you'll probably make new friends who'll ease the pain of the few nasty surprises you may encounter.

As a relative newbie I enjoy reading the more positive Rush postings. I was only a kid in the 70s and didn't really start listening to them until high school and college. Posts like, oh they were so good way back when/not so much now annoy me because I can enjoy them now! I couldn't when I was 8!

cool.gif

Also being a female fan for the last 25 plus years has been quite an experience. Most guys think it is pretty cool that I like Rush and do not go to shows just because of my husband.

NeilFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 12 2011, 06:47 AM)

Some people actually tell others what bugs the shit out of them. Besides, he's been on here nearly half a decade and I don't think I've ever seen him whine before so I doubt he'd start now. Think about it.

I guess there's a fine line between voicing a complaint and whining. Based on Soni, I'd guess he's doing the former.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 12 2011, 02:06 PM)

Some people actually tell others what bugs the shit out of them. Besides, he's been on here nearly half a decade and I don't think I've ever seen him whine before so I doubt he'd start now. Think about it.

I guess there's a fine line between voicing a complaint and whining. Based on Soni, I'd guess he's doing the former.

Thank's a lot JB, I really appreciate your post smile.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ May 12 2011, 08:00 PM)

trink39.gif trink39.gif

Yeah, I agree with JB. Soni has always been cool and provides a different point of view since we tend to be heavily represented by North Americans on the board. I don't think the recent events were as bad as a couple of episodes we had a year or so ago with a couple of real button pushers. I am sometimes tempted to respond to the stupid threads but try to resist the urge since it just fans the fire.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 12 2011, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ May 12 2011, 08:00 PM)

trink39.gif trink39.gif

Yeah, I agree with JB. Soni has always been cool and provides a different point of view since we tend to be heavily represented by North Americans on the board. I don't think the recent events were as bad as a couple of episodes we had a year or so ago with a couple of real button pushers. I am sometimes tempted to respond to the stupid threads but try to resist the urge since it just fans the fire.

We fight the fire

While we're feeding the flames

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/Sigma66/aintevenmad.jpg

Don't worry guys, Neil Peart doesn't care what the f**k you think laugh.gif