What would you do?

Tarkus406

Would you electrocute someone for money?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you electrocute someone for money?

• Absolutely. They won't know it's me. My answer is YES.
    • I wouldn't hurt someone like that, it's just not right. My answer is NO.

Okay read first. Here's the scenario.

You're brought into a window-less room and presented with a button. You are told that if you press that button, someone on the opposite side of the building will be electrocuted. Not killed, just given a massive amount of pain. Then you will be given a large sum of money. Would you do it, knowing you'd be hurting someone badly?

And if you ask "well how much money?" your answer is obviously Yes, because it's not about the amount of money, just whether or not you'd do it.

The person you'd be zapping, you will never see or know. A totally normal innocent person just like yourself. They would still be alive afterward, but may possibly suffer some nerve damage. Decide!

Electrocution, by definition, means you are killing the person.

Shocking is what you are describing and as shocking (dazed025.gif) as it sounds, I already do this for free. I will shuffle my feet across a carpet and sneak up behind you and touch you on the back of your arm. Bwah ha ha ha ha ha.....

I'd be interested to see if anyone here would actually say yes to this question...

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 1 2011, 03:06 PM)
Electrocution, by definition, means you are killing the person.
Shocking is what you are describing and as shocking (dazed025.gif) as it sounds, I already do this for free. I will shuffle my feet across a carpet and sneak up behind you and touch you on the back of your arm. Bwah ha ha ha ha ha.....

Somehow this news doesn't shock me

Har har hardy har har! tongue.gif

Oh, man, I totally didn't read the entire first post.

Ooops. Now I have to re-think everything.

Don't think I'd like to have that on my conscience -- knowing they would be going through so much pain and torture, even if they didn't die.

But if we're talking millions, like enough to save lives... Wouldn't that be a different story? But I'd rather sacrifice myself and push the button for ME. A jolt to save others? No doubt.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ May 2 2011, 08:56 AM)
Isn't this basically a variation of the Milgram experiment?

No, not really.

The Milgram Experiment tested the willingness of people to obey an authority figure....even though their orders went against their moral objections.

65% of the test subjects completed the test, even though they believed that they had administered great pain to others. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

If I can pick the person.... possibly, seeing one on my list was just supposedly knocked off yesterday smile.gif

Not to any random person someone else chooses.... given the fact it could be my wife, son or daughter... not a chance. Plus I couldn't live with myself knowing I harmed someone for money. I don't see how people that get behind the wheel drunk and kill someone can live like that.

In general, no, but their are a couple of evil people I know of I would electrocute for free. Yup, I am serious.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 1 2011, 11:27 AM)
Okay read first. Here's the scenario.

You're brought into a window-less room and presented with a button. You are told that if you press that button, someone on the opposite side of the building will be electrocuted. Not killed, just given a massive amount of pain. Then you will be given a large sum of money. Would you do it, knowing you'd be hurting someone badly?

And if you ask "well how much money?" your answer is obviously Yes, because it's not about the amount of money, just whether or not you'd do it.

The person you'd be zapping, you will never see or know. A totally normal innocent person just like yourself. They would still be alive afterward, but may possibly suffer some nerve damage. Decide!

Oh jeez, seriously? No.

Emphatically, no.

Hmm, I believe I have seen video of this experiment actually being conducted. The "lab rats" could not see the subjects they were shocking but were able to hear them in their pain. I do believe the reward was money. The higher the lab rat shocked the subject the greater the reward. If I remember right almost everyone shocked the subject to some degree or another. The subjects were actors and not actually being tortured. I will see if I can find a link.

The Milgram experiments, were first done in the 60s, then again in the 70s. It has also been re-created in video. And re-imagined in this past decade. The first two Milgram experiments did not depend on money as the stimulus but authoritarianism.

In the later one conducted in the past decade the stimulus was a possibility of being on television. In all the experiments the results were that at least 65% of the were willing to go to the highest voltage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

FYI before the experiment it was guessed that 3 to 5 % of the test subjects would go that far.

No, but there is one person who screwed up a certain education system that I would press the button for the right price. ONLY for that one person.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 1 2011, 01:28 PM)
I chose no. I love money and all...but nobody else but me should suffer for me to get it no.gif

We all do this every day.

We compete for jobs.

Sorry Boss, I do not want to take that promotion and pay raise, give to Jimmy you know he would enjoy the money more than I.

Getting a shock would only be a few seconds of pain for the subject. You getting the promotion over Jimmy may cause longer pain.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ May 2 2011, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 1 2011, 01:28 PM)
I chose no. I love money and all...but nobody else but me should suffer for me to get it no.gif

We all do this every day.

We compete for jobs.

Sorry Boss, I do not want to take that promotion and pay raise, give to Jimmy you know he would enjoy the money more than I.

Getting a shock would only be a few seconds of pain for the subject. You getting the promotion over Jimmy may cause longer pain.

facepalm.gif I'm not applying this to pay raises! Just ELECTRIC SHOCK

Archived