The Division Bell - Pink Floyd

ColdFireYYZ

Am I the only one that thinks this a great album by Pink Floyd? It seems to get a lot of hate because of the lack of Waters. It doesn't rank up there with Animals, Wish You Were Here, or DSOTM, but its still full of great songs. High Hopes, Coming Back To Life, A Great Day For Freedom, and Wearing The Inside Out are all excellent tracks.

While it may not be a true Pink Floyd album, I still think its full of great music, even though its more of a solo album by David Gilmour. Still, I think its a good final album for the band, and I'm glad that Floyd continued without Roger Waters.

Anyone else agree?

'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' also got a lot of hate because of the lack of Roger Waters. I personally think that TDB holds very well on its own. The only track I could really do without is 'Keep Talking'. Other than that, it has some of the best material the band had written since 'Animals' and it was a great note to go out on.

I like the album. It's not the first one I put on when i'm in the mood for them but I still find it an enjoyable album.

High Hopes is a great song and wouldn't have sounded out of place at all on any of the older Floyd albums.

The Division Bell is a phenomenally stellar album. Same with Momentary Lapse of Reason. Classics, both of them.

Classics.

Incredible.

Incredible.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Apr 23 2011, 08:29 PM)
'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' also got a lot of hate because of the lack of Roger Waters. I personally think that TDB holds very well on its own. The only track I could really do without is 'Keep Talking'. Other than that, it has some of the best material the band had written since 'Animals' and it was a great note to go out on.

I like AMLOR a lot too. Learning To Fly, Sorrow, and One Slip are excellent.

I agree that it was their best since Animals. I like a lot of The Wall, but I think Waters went a little overboard with it, and there's a lot of filler.

Keep Talking isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

I don't hate it or love it. But I do like it (except for 'Take It Back' and 'Lost For Words'). It's more fitting as a final statement for the Floyd than A Momentary Lapse of Reason would've been. It doesn't feel as much of a solo Gilmour album as Momentary Lapse does simply because Wright had more input in the writing and recording of it. However, I don't consider it to be a real Floyd album. For me, The Wall is the last true Pink Floyd album.

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Apr 23 2011, 10:03 PM)
Ive had it for about 6 years and yet I dont even know it very well enough to like it or hate it. I guess it just didnt interest me enough. Maybe I oughta give it a spin here someday.

I'd give it a chance. Gilmour's vocals and guitars sound great.

I like Floyd, but sometimes they bore the hell out of me. wish you were here is the only album of theirs in my regular rotation. The rest I spin once in a dark moon wink.gif

Although I'd say after wywh, animals and dsotm, the division bell is my favorite. I hardly listen to any others, but i do play meddle every now and then, for echoes alone, though I do think that song is overrated a little bit unsure.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 24 2011, 12:30 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks this a great album by Pink Floyd? It seems to get a lot of hate because of the lack of Waters. It doesn't rank up there with Animals, Wish You Were Here, or DSOTM, but its still full of great songs. High Hopes, Coming Back To Life, A Great Day For Freedom, and Wearing The Inside Out are all excellent tracks.

While it may not be a true Pink Floyd album, I still think its full of great music, even though its more of a solo album by David Gilmour. Still, I think its a good final album for the band, and I'm glad that Floyd continued without Roger Waters.

Anyone else agree?

I'm also pleased they continued without Waters. TDB is a good album and I prefer it a little more over Momentary Lapse. It was also great to hear more of Richard. I don't hear too much hate for it really amongst fans.

I think it is a great album. Momentary Lapse is more of a Gilmour solo album, but Division Bell is a Floyd album in my opinion.

I just "stole" this album from my mom's garage after visiting her recently and just started listening to it this week. My ex stepdad owned it and has seen PF in concert a couple of times. He hasn't visited in a couple of years so I figure, "He's not coming back for it. What the hell?"

I've done this for a number of his albums (lots of hip hop,Rolling Stones,Neil Young) lately.

I really like it, but no longer have it. I went thru 6 copies bought from the store and they all ultimately turned to crap quickly. I've never seen such poor quality CD's before, I do miss listening to it though sad.gif

Aside from "Lost For Words", I think The Division Bell is a really good Floyd album yes.gif Fav songs are "What Do You Want From Me", "Take It Back" (going into) "Coming Back To Life", "Keep Talking", "Marooned", and "High Hopes".

It's a good, but not great, album.

Gilmour tells us about his most recent interaction with Roger, with these lyrics from "Lost for Words" -

So I open my door to my enemies

And I ask could we wipe the slate clean

But they tell me to please go fukk myself

You know, you just can't win

Great sets of songs. Almost perfect except for Wearing the Inside Out which I just can't get into for some reason. And I am also a fan of Momentary Lapse.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 25 2011, 12:13 PM)
Great sets of songs. Almost perfect except for Wearing the Inside Out which I just can't get into for some reason.

'Wearing The Inside Out' was one of Wright's best lyrics to me. There's a certain tone in his voice though that makes the track feel depressing, but in a good way. Kind of like, "This is probably the last time this will happen" sort of feeling.