Fly By Night - Why Not?

starsky

I've been a Rush fan for over 25 years, and have never heard this song live. They haven't peformed it since the Hemispheres tour, I guess.

Some might say it's because Ged can't sing it well anymore, but I find that hard to believe when I hear him consistently hit higher octave parts in other songs (Freewill, etc).

Anybody ever see a direct quote from the band on why they stopped performing this song live so long ago?

welcome starsky trink39.gif

they have such a huge catalogue to choose from,fraid some classic songs just gotta go to make way for such bollocks as spindrift,armor "n" sword etc sad.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Mar 28 2011, 09:36 PM)
they have such a huge catalogue to choose from,fraid some classic songs just gotta go to make way for such bollocks as spindrift,armor "n" sword etc sad.gif

I like those songs but I'd rather hear Fly By Night. Maybe they will play it on the next tour, as well as Before & After and Fountain of Lamneth

Edit: Welcome to TRF, starsky! 653.gif

Edited by Lamelight

Thanks for all the nice welcomes, guy! Some forums would have called me an idiot for asking such a dumb question! ohmy.gif

Anyway it seems like the guys may just not like this song. They stopped playing it live in like 78 or 79!

I mean they closed with In the Mood for years! They even had Finding My Way and Anthem in the R30 overture a couple years back.

Ive seen them live every tour since Hold Your Fire and it's really the only song I would like to hear in concert that I haven't. Well that, and A Farewell to Kings. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm headed down to Toledo in a week and a half and cannot wait! Even is it's the same show as I saw in Sarnia last summer!

Oh did I mention I have front row? Sorry to brag, I just still can't believe I got em. When the music today presale said Section CR I got them, not realizing CR stands for the first three rows on the main floor. I'm in row A!

Next Wednesday can't come soon enough...

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 28 2011, 03:55 PM)
Welcome to The Rush Forum! trink39.gif 2.gif

I like FBN, but they have many other songs I'd rather hear live like The Analog Kid, Cold Fire, The Weapon etc. Still, it would be better than the S&A stuff they're playing.

RIGHT. Its really time to bring Analog and Weapon back out! Much rather hear those than FBN

Welcome!

Oh man, hearing Xanadu, AFTK, Cinderella Man etc on the Kings tour was just .... gobsmacking I can tell you. Only topped by seeing them do Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1, Circumstances, The Trees and Strangiato the year after! Ahh the good old days .. laugh.gif

I would love to hear FBN. I think Geddy can still sing that one without too much strain on his voice at all.

The problem is, I don't think the band likes the song very much. From some of the live boots I have they cut the song short and go into something else. If they're cutting a three and a half minute song short odds are they didn't care for it much and were only playing it because it was one of their first "hits".

I'd have to agree. I'm sure there is some material that they just look at and say "nope". I forget which DVD it is but they go though the creation of their setlists which usually start out at around 6 hours worth of material and some of it just goes out the door right away.

As fans, some of us musicians in our own arena go out and play and sometimes you just can't take a particular song anymore. Then, as was also pointed out, there's the new material which is obviously going to intrude on the older material's space. Aside from the SNA tour, I think that over the years Rush has managed to still keep a pretty decent balance between old and new, even if they sometimes have to ignore entire albums during a tour.

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Mar 29 2011, 04:53 AM)
Welcome!

Oh man, hearing Xanadu, AFTK, Cinderella Man etc on the Kings tour was just .... gobsmacking I can tell you. Only topped by seeing them do Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1, Circumstances, The Trees and Strangiato the year after! Ahh the good old days .. laugh.gif

THIS yes.gif

Fly By Night - Why Not?

Because it blows.

ph34r.gif

The song is very dated.

They have written so many other better songs and they have moved on from FBN save for By Tor which is still a killer jam. Anthem would be my choice to represent that album one day...but Geddy can not get that range for an entire tour anymore. That taste we got on the R-30 overture was sizzling.

Anyway....they have really given us tremendous set lists since they went to the "Evening With" format. I have no complaints.

Other than Jacobs Ladder wink.gif

Well I don't think FBN is any more dated than some of the other songs they've performed on recent tours.

Passage to Bangkok? Entre Nous? Closer to the Heart?

Great songs, but almost as dated as FBN.

I agree with an earlier poster. Given how early they dropped FBN from the setlist (in the late 70's), I don't think they were ever that fond of the song, even though it was one of their first "hits".

QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Mar 29 2011, 09:44 AM)
  As fans, some of us musicians in our own arena go out and play and sometimes you just can't take a particular song anymore.

Yeah...like New York Groove <just a little inside joke here>

I remember a 1984 Modern Drummer magazine interview with Neil Peart where he mentions why they don't play certain old songs anymore. He stated that if they don't have any conviction in playing a song, then it is shelved (or something to that effect).

But after so many years cleared from when it was last played, it may show up next year!

If you ask me they got the right idea canning that old stuff. I mean why play that when you could play the awesomocity that is Snakes and Arrows? I mean come on people, Snakes rules! 1022.gif I nearly wet my garments when they started playing Faithless! ohmy.gif