I feel like we are a secret unity

reani14

Seems like most people never heard of rush or even know rush, specially if you talk music in a bar to strangers. I would love to meet a real rush fan somewhere and talk real rush. not just. oh i heard tom sawyer and limelight before...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say most people haven't heard of them. I would say most people don't know them well. If you listen to classic rock with any regularity, you certainly know the name Rush and at least a couple songs. Even if you can't name them off the top of your head right away.

I'm fortunate enough that my brother and my nephew, who I got into Rush, love them to. So most of my life i've had people to talk to about the band. But you're right about being part of a secret unity when it comes to being a Rush fan and being part of this forum. There is a special connection because of our fandom for the band trink39.gif

That's just how it is. The only people I can talk to about Rush are also here on TRF. Other than that, the best conversations I get go something like:

me: "have you heard of rush?"

them: "What songs are they known for?"

me: "tom sawyer, limelight, subdivisions..."

them: "oh that band, I love limelight and X"

me: "yeah, that a great one, but have you heard __________? it's just amazing."

them: "no, I don't listen to rush."

me: ಠ_ಠ

when i wear my rush shirt from permanant waves tour i got from backstage, i get alot of praise , specially when anthony michael hall said, wow, you like rush, he said i play drums too. at the horror convention.. Its cool, cause me and my friend count how many people will recognize the shirt. and lots of people do. you make friends right away.. I seen a guy at the gym with a time machine shirt. and we talked for an half hr about rush.. soon as i seen it, i told him they are my favourite band..

QUOTE (reani14 @ Mar 27 2011, 07:31 PM)
when i wear my rush shirt from permanant waves tour i got from backstage, i get alot of praise , specially when anthony michael hall said, wow, you like rush, he said i play drums too. at the horror convention.. Its cool, cause me and my friend count how many people will recognize the shirt. and lots of people do. you make friends right away.. I seen a guy at the gym with a time machine shirt. and we talked for an half hr about rush.. soon as i seen it, i told him they are my favourite band..

You need to get laid.

At school, if i wear one of my Rush shirts, the teachers usually say something. Like my Spanish teacher and i were talking about Cygnus X-1 and the ship in the song "Rocinante" which is a Spanish reference. And he helped me remember the Spanish verb "prestar" (which means "to lend") by saying, "Lend me your Presto album." He is probably one of the coolest teachers I've ever had.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 27 2011, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (reani14 @ Mar 27 2011, 07:31 PM)

You need to get laid.

Oh, SNAP!

QUOTE (reani14 @ Mar 27 2011, 06:03 PM)
i need to get laid? thanks to rush, i got my deck sucked twice, thank you

Deck? DECK?!

Let the bickering and fighting commence. I need some popcorn.

http://images.whatport80.com/images/thumb/7/7a/MJpopcorn.gif/180px-MJpopcorn.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Mar 27 2011, 07:03 PM)
i need to get laid? thanks to rush, i got my deck sucked twice, thank you

Never mind. There's really nothing I could say. . .well, there IS, lots, actually, but, you know confused13.gif

Except. . .splinters?

I believe it is certainly a cult following. Very little middle ground, you love them or just do not care for them.

I would rarely engage a "stranger" in conversation about music anymore than I would politics or religion. The opinions are abundant and very strong, typically.

While in D.C. at a seafood restaurant a waiter saw my RUSH shirt and was like, "You like Rush!?" So we chatted for a couple minutes. When I was in the elevator at the hotel a guy spotted the aforementioned shirt and had a similar reaction.

I think it's just a matter of where you are and if the circumstances are right. For me, most people see either the shirt I'm wearing or spot the Rush button on my purse strap. I don't think it's as "cult"-ish as some people think. I run into Rush fans more often than I thought I would. None of them are even close to my age, but hey.. what's the difference?

QUOTE (reani14 @ Mar 27 2011, 09:41 AM)
Seems like most people never heard of rush or even know rush, specially if you talk music in a bar to strangers. I would love to meet a real rush fan somewhere and talk real rush. not just. oh i heard tom sawyer and limelight before...

Agreed, I have had countless conversations about Rush on this board, when people out in the real world try and talk to me about them if I happen to be wearing a shirt, it's like talking to a f***ing toddler..

I was out washing my rare sportbike when a guy who was walking by sees it and excitedly asked me questions about it. When I stood up from washing the rear tire he saw my test for echo shirt. The guy started stammering and said "wow, you like Rush too". I thought he was going to ask me out next smile.gif Nice guy tho...

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 27 2011, 10:11 PM)

Agreed, I have had countless conversations about Rush on this board, when people out in the real world try and talk to me about them if I happen to be wearing a shirt, it's like talking to a f***ing toddler..

Lol, u sound like Neil Peart vs. his fans

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 27 2011, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 27 2011, 10:11 PM)

Lol, u sound like Neil Peart vs. his fans

Looks like I'm starting to understand the guy then.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 28 2011, 03:19 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 28 2011, 10:26 AM)
Is that similar to getting your deck powerwashed? confused13.gif

http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/Misc/images/RG_4011_All_Hands.jpg

I sealed my deck with Thompson's WaterSeal. It protects from crotch rot.

BTW, what is a secret unity? A secret entity I can understand. These threads are like watching The da Vinci Code.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 27 2011, 10:46 PM)
I was out washing my rare sportbike when a guy who was walking by sees it and excitedly asked me questions about it. When I stood up from washing the rear tire he saw my test for echo shirt. The guy started stammering and said "wow, you like Rush too". I thought he was going to ask me out next smile.gif Nice guy tho...

What? You mean you didn't take the opportunity to slam them like you do around here all the time??? tongue.gif

Archived