Addicted to your phone?

Mara

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 6 2011, 07:40 PM)
I'm using my phone to access this site right now.

+1

I don't have a computer so I have to use my phone.

OK, for those of you who say you are addicted (and barney's particularly defiant about it, laugh.gif ), are any of you so obsessed with it that you tune out friends and family? For example, one Christmas we got together with my husband's family. Husband's nephew could not put his phone down to spend time with us and give the assembled company his attention.

Finally his dad yelled at him to put it away when we sat down for dinner. My god, it was like you'd taken a loaded needle away from a heroin junkie due for a fix. He twitched and fidgeted and was extremely distracted and strung-out for the entire meal. Oh, and he is 27. Something tells me, Barney, that you don't treat people as though they are intrusions on your phone time, nor do you tempt people to slam into you from behind at top speed because you're too busy with the phone to watch the light.

As for my husband using it in the hospital: I really didn't mind him choosing to leave the room so he could keep using the phone. All I wanted to do was sleep anyway. I just couldn't do so with the phone constantly beeping and trilling and vibrating. He was there to take me home as I was due to be discharged that day, but I still had PT and some other things to do beforehand. So we were both waiting, and had different ideas on how to kill those hours.

I use my phone a ton, I text, browse, check email. And I use it for work. *Shrugs*

I shut it off when I go out, or if friends come over, unless I am on call.

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Mar 6 2011, 04:35 PM)
I use my phone a ton, I text, browse, check email. And I use it for work. *Shrugs*
I shut it off when I go out, or if friends come over, unless I am on call.

That, to me, is the critical distinction. Lots of people use theirs for work. (I've never been sure how I feel about the developments that make it possible to "keep up with the office 24/7". I do it as well with my laptop when I have paid time off. Can anyone take a real vacation away from work anymore? Oh well, another topic).

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 6 2011, 07:46 PM)

+1

Oh, I don't think I could do with going on a forum with a tiny little screen like that!

I use my phone as:

-3rd camera

-GPS

-Running Companion

-PDA

-Address book

-Yellow Pages

-Social NOTworking

-email

-IM

Doesn't affect my friend/family life at all. It helps them.

As always, it's how you make it work for you, not how much you let it run you.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 4 2011, 01:37 PM)
When you visit someone in the hospital, you're there to visit THEM, not worry about how you're going to entertain yourself. It's not a hotel room, it's a hospital -- that person is in there for a reason.

Your visit time might be limited because they might need sleep, so make the most of that time and give them your attention. Leave the phone alone. The world can wait. Common courtesy, no?

goodpost.gif

Also agree with Mara that society has gone too far for being intertwined with technology. I'm a computer SysAdmin by trade. But, I could care less about the latest technology, how to do something, etc. on a cell phone, twitter, etc.

I'd gladly pitch my phone in the recycle bin if I could and go without. But, we no longer have a home phone and I currently have to use my cell phone for work stuff. Once I'm able to get my phone out of the work cycle, I'm going to a pay by the minute plan as I talk no more than 90 minutes a month and send/receive less than 100 texts a month. About $14/month max is what I'd be using. I used ot have a G1, but I rarely used it and ditched the calling plan.

I've been involved in a number of car accidents due to other drivers not paying attention: Three rear end collisions, one t-bone and most recently a head on collision. Still recovering from the most recent one and will be for some time.

It's stupid that people can't realize that things can wait until later. I turn my phone to vibrate at all times except for when I'm on call because I don't want to disturb others. Dinner, movie, at the store, etc. I won't answer it. Although, I have had to call the wife a time or two from the grocery store. tongue.gif

Common sense. It's not so common anymore.

I have a home phone, but the ringer is off. I occassionally use it to make calls, and on contest forms or internet forms that ask for a number, I use that one. It came with the cable package, and its more expensive NOT to have it...believe that?

No, I definitely do not use it to tune out people. I find I am with like minded people and we have them on us so the occassional peek or quick note to someone doesnt really offend either of us.

Sometimes I have both my iPod and cell phone, which both have internet access...(yes I know, should have iPhone, but the iPod was a gift) and they are useful in different ways. I can search info easier on iPod, when I am in wireless access area, but can get my fb info or weather or post youtube vid from my phone, which is not wi-fi, so I can use it anywhere.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 6 2011, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Mar 6 2011, 07:46 PM)

+1

Oh, I don't think I could do with going on a forum with a tiny little screen like that!

It's a Samsung Galaxy S - fairly big screen! I see all! tongue.gif

It's not the technology/phone that has people interested, it's the person or

relationship they are having or that they believe they are having. It's the attention

and validation they feel while they are communicating. As far as a husband

texting while visiting his wife in the hospital, that's a whole other issue!!

If you're in hospital & someone comes to visit you, you should have their full attention. If you're in a restaurant, the phone should be switched off or to silent. If you have visitors to your home, likewise; if it's an important call, the person could ask: "Do you mind if I take this call?" It's what I would do. IMO.

I definitely agree...technology has taken over people's lives.

I admit...it's amazing stuff. What these phones like Blackberrys and IPhones do is incredible. Afterall...I'm 28. I should be right into this stuff!

I have a cell phone (an 'old school' one mind you)...the difference is, if I'm with family, friends, at parties, events, whatever...it STAYS in my pocket. Many times, I'll even ignore incoming calls and texts, unless I believe it's something important.

I am actually in the process of purchasing my first ever smartphone...though I am worried I'll turn into one of these people! I just hope it doesn't make me ridiculous like that.

I have friends that I go to dinner with, and play sports with, who literally pull out the phone during dinner, or essentially any time that we are together in a "social" outing. It's very frustrating, though I don't bother to say anything. It is very rude...my wife hates it.

Unfortunately, technology has become so important that it has killed people's ability to socialize normally. Like someone else mentioned...kids all have phones now. It's crazy...when I was a kid, I used to play outside all day with my neighbours and friends. Many kids now simply rely on laptops and phones to entertain themselves.

i'm getting my iPhone 4S on Saturday. About damn time -- I felt left behind by society not having a smartphone (or even mobile internet) for the last 3-4 years! maybe now it won't take forever for people to relay important messages for me any more smile.gif

I refuse to get a smart phone. I know someday I'll have to give in, but I'm fighting it as long as I can.

At Six Flags this weekend with my family. My son's friend comes along with us (17 yrs old) and is on his iPhone texting, FB, etc etc all trip. He only put it down when we were on the rides. Standing in line, walking around the park - he was constantly on it. I stopped asking him questions because I was tired of saying everything twice.

My girlfriend's sister is absolutely terrible about this. She texts while she drives. In fact, it's almost like she's proud of it; if she ever drives us, she just ignores us when we ask her to please stop. Also, she can be in the middle of a conversation with my girlfriend, but when my girlfriend starts to talk, she instantly stops listening and starts doing things on her phone every time. Really involved stuff, too; not just looking down, but searching the internet, texting people, and watching videos.

Actually, I've come to the conclusion that she's just a terrible person all around.

Technology is a tool. Unfortunately, some people are tools, too.

In the three pages of this thread I've seen a lot of people with holier-than-thou attitudes toward people with smartphones and a lot of people that are really proud of themselves for not giving in to the evil cell phones.

Honestly... they're just gadgets, people. If someone has a problem putting it down, it's not a fault of the gadget, it's a fault in the person. I was a 20-year smoker... you know who's fault that wasn't? The tobacco companies. It was MY fault and MY problem. (I quit, eventually)

Devices don't flip a switch in people and turn them into mindless zombies. People do that to themselves, for a variety of reasons. The tools merely facilitate the change. If they weren't there, something else would.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 18 2011, 12:44 PM)
Devices don't flip a switch in people and turn them into mindless zombies. People do that to themselves, for a variety of reasons. The tools merely facilitate the change. If they weren't there, something else would.

Gotta disagree with you there.

To not become "a zombie" actually takes more work than giving into it all. Many kids today (especially in the city I live in) are indulgent spoiled brats. They want it, they get it. They want to look at a Youtube video - boom there it is. They want to text their friend in a middle of a conversation... you get my point.

To give in is way easier when you have the tool in your hand.

I use the phone for emergencies ("F*6k, my tire just blew out and I'm stranded out here in a cornfield, help!!!") and traveling ("Ma!? My plane just landed, see you in a half hour!")

Other than that, call my house or my job because the cell phone is not on - at all.

Texting?!? unsure.gif Que es esto?